Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Auto Headlights, Fogs On With Highbeams & Other Quirks Fixed!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Headlights, Fogs On With Highbeams & Other Quirks Fixed!

I admit, I was a bit disappointed my Crossfire was missing a few creature features I had come to like from my other cars. I also found a few quirks, that well, no big deal, just annoyed me....

SO far starters, they stopped offering the Auto Dim mirror after 2004... Since the SRT was only available in 2005 / 06 that meant i had no auto dim rear view mirror....

Fixed:

Next, here was a car built by Mercedes and did not have auto headlights! Come on my 1999 Grand Am had Auto Headlights!

OK, Fixed That too: Headlights come on at dark & when the wipers are turned on....

And Last but not least, I hated the fact you couldn’t have your Fogs on with High beams, and of course the above Auto Headlights system caused a new issue in that the way you had to activate your fog lights (pulling the switch) couldn’t be done without turning on your parking lights first which meant if I wanted my fogs on when my auto headlights activated, I would have to do it manually…

So, yep, Fixed as well!

Even found a way to use up that extra switch location in my switch array that wasn’t being used since the SRT has no moving spoiler…

Sorry for the blurry pic there, Took probably 20 pics but never could get the camera to focus properly. It really does light up and look JUST like the other buttons.

Pressing UP on the button turns on the fogs, Pressing the down button, turns them off.

Since the factory headlight switch doesn’t really show you HOW to activate the fog lights, anyone getting in the car that didn’t know to pull it out would never know this wasn’t the original way to do it. And of course, this way, they stay on with the Bright lights and do come on when the auto headlights are activated.

Only 2 issues / downsides so far…

#1. The bulb out warning system will not work as it did originally. Essentially it should still work fine when using the switch but if you just let the light sensor manage your headlights, it isn’t going to work since this system is connected BEHIND the “sense circuit”.

#2. If using the auto headlight sensor, the oem unit will not realize your lights are on so it will not activate the fogs for that 30 seconds that it does stock when you turn the Crossfire off.

****FIXED*** I had to go back in and clean up a few connections and when I did the factory 30 second Fog Light activation now works. SO yes, even when using the auto headlights, you get out of the car and the factory system will now activate the factory fogs for 30 seconds.

I also added a momentary switch to the add on system so now I have both. By default, the factory system turns on the fogs for 30 seconds, but IF I need more time or more light, I press the momentary switch and the heads AND fogs come on for 90 seconds....

Last edited by Daniel454; 09-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Default The HOW!

So how did I do it? Well, I would like to say its plug and play and super easy, but uhmmm, its not….

I WOULD say the auto dim mirror is easy, just hop on eBay or use Google shopping and search out Gentex mirrors, they will have 20 different models for you to choose from depending on what you want it to do and installation varies from a simple 12v connection to much more depending on the model but none of them are all that difficult. If you go with the one I did it only requires 12V which is easy to find in the map lights just in front.

I guess the Auto Headlights aren’t too difficult if you have had any experience with Automotive Alarm systems or other vehicle add ons. It is in depth though and not for the faint of heart. I apologize I didn’t take any pictures of the install but all connections except for one are made to the wires connected to the light switch (Illumination Control Module).

The auto Headlight system itself is the DEI 545T.
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-545T-Nite-Lite-System/dp/B000CJ24YY

You will need to understand the basic working and connections of relays and diodes. Assuming you have this, following the instructions that come with that module will get it done.

The connections that need to be made are:

The first thing you will need is a Positive 12V source. On the relay Control Module you will find 2 HEAVY gauge wires on the plug closest to the door. A Red wire and a Pink with Red Stripe. The Red is Constant 12V the Pink w/ Red is the Switched 12V

The ONLY Wire that is not at the Illumination Control Module is the wire used so the system knows when your Wipers are on. This Wire is at the Body Control Module, accessible from the very top. Fairly high Gauge DARK GREEN Wire...

For the Headlights Relay, you can use Either the Yellow, or the Yellow Black wire. You will be using a 30Amp supply so it will handle both across the one wire without issue. If you do not like the idea of having both headlights on one Fuse then yes you could connect them both separately divided by 2 separate fuses.

For me, since my Fog lights are always on, and since the High beams will still work and since I could reach over and turn the factory switch, I wasn’t too worried about going back to 1 fuse instead of 2.

For the Parking Lights you will need to make 2 connections… YOU WILL NEED TO DIODE ISOLATE THESE if you wish to retain the function of the Left or Right ONLY side marker lights (the 2 functions on the switch if you turn it to the LEFT)
Gray / Red & Gray / Black

Interesting enough, even though the schematic only shows the FRONT parking lights on these connections, no additional connections will be required for the rear, again, unless you feel it necessary for fusing purposes.

You will need to make an additional connection for the License plate lights & interior lights however, and that will be any of the 3 shown, Gray or Gray / Violet or Gray / Yellow:

And last but not least, if you wish to have control of your HIGH Beams while on Auto Headlight Mode, you will need to run 12V to the Multi Function Switch. I suggest using ANOTHER 12V source rather than the same powering the headlights as you can see in the schematic that this isn’t just a sense circuit but WILL be supplying power to the High Beam Headlights. You will connect this to the White / Yellow wire.

DONE

The Fog lights aren’t difficult, but there isn’t an off the shelf answer here so I got creative and used a bit of Electronics Engineering.

So for starters, I hoped up on eBay and found me an extra set of switches….

Unfortunately you cant use the switch that’s behind the blank already in the car as it doesn’t have enough connections on it. You will need the switch that was used for the Electric Spoiler…

Then I found a company that does Plastic Engraving, supplied him with the picture I wanted done and sent the BLANK Plastic button front to them to have the Fog Light emblem engraved.

http://www.absoluteengraving.com/
Contact was Jon Anderson, GREAT to work with!

While the cover was off being engraved, I took apart one of the switches. I noticed the bottom two connections were for illumination so I left those alone. I then modified the two switches (up and down) to output a momentary GROUND when pressed.

Sorry I don’t have more detail here but for those who know their way around a soldering iron you shouldn't have ANY problem figuring out how to make this modification once you get the switch open.

Once that is done, you then need to pick up a relay that will convert the output of that switch to latched 12V output. I chose a FRT3-SL2 Relay:

http://www.led-switch.com/Relays.htm
http://www.khalus.com.ua/data/chips/chameleon-relay/pdf/frt/frt3.pdf

(If anyone decides to do this and either the switch modification or this relay wiring becomes the stumbling block, send me the switch & 10 Bucks to cover the Relay, I will take care of it and take pictures on how it’s done this time to show others).

Keep in mind the above latching relay can NOT carry the current needed to run your fogs, so its output will be used to activate a larger (standard) automotive 30Amp Relay.

Once all of that comes together you are almost home free. A connection to one of your Parking lights (or better yet, the gray or gray/yellow wire for your interior lights) will be used as one of the triggers for your 30Amp relay (to ensure the Fogs can be on any time the Parking lights are on regardless of High or Low Beam status).

And the ground trigger will be supplied my the miniature latching relay.

For the actual 12V supply to the Relay, remember this should be strong enough to carry the 2 Fogs and for safety install a 15Amp fuse in line…

The 30Amp relay output will connect to the Fogs via the Gray / Yellow Wire from the Illumination Control Module.

So that’s it, Get you some switches, send the cover off to get the Fog Light emblem engraved, modify the switch to output momentary ground pulses, use the Mini latching relay to convert that to a constant output, connect it to a standard 30Amp relay and supply power to the fogs…

OK, whew! Thats a lot to try to put in a post! Not sure if anyone else will really want to go through this much trouble, but I am super excited about it and REALLY wanted to share!!!!

Last edited by Daniel454; 09-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto Headlights, Fogs On With Highbeams & Other Quirks Fixed!

Holy Crap!!! You did a lot of work. I think it looks really clean. I am really impressed with the fog light switch. I would think it was factory if I didn't know better. Looks really great!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs up on this one! Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That fog light switch blew my mind! Had to read this very informative thread. Is there a way to make that switch control the fogs sans the auto-headlight mod? Again, I commend you on what I thought was an SLK piece. Awesome!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Absolutely! While I tackled all at one time, auto headlights and fogs are really two mods.

If you can get an extra switch and get the blank cover etched, the rest is relatively downhill!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM

And just to add to that, I wouldnt mind modifying the switch, purchasing and wiring both the small latching and the automotive relay for anyone that wanted to do the fogs... (for a very small fee of course, lets say $10 ~ $25 depending on how much you need me to do and shipping costs)

The problem, and most difficult task, is really getting the switch to begin with so I hate to say it but obtaining the needed switch and getting the blank front engraved you will be on your own for but if you can get that far and want me to work out the electronic part for you, I can do everything except the final vehicle wiring for you (and could even do that part if you could make a trip to North Alabama). Just send me a PM and we will work through it.

If anyoine is tackling it on their own, I found connecting to the interior light connection (Gray or Gray/ Yellow) for the trigger is actually a bit better as you dont have to worry about your fogs turning on if you use the Left or Right parking light feature (Switch to the left 1 or two clicks).

Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really nice job. Which model did you use of the gentex. I noticed it had the compass indicator in it, and what was on ebay was alot of just old and ripped out parts. is our mirror mount the same as everybody else's? Again, really nice job on all of them mods

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
really nice job. Which model did you use of the Gentex. I noticed it had the compass indicator in it, and what was on eBay was a lot of just old and ripped out parts. is our mirror mount the same as everybody else's? Again, really nice job on all of them mods
I used the Genk5A model. It was actually a Christmas present from the wife so I am not sure which website she got it through but Amazon has them.

http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK5A-Auto-Dimming-Compass-Aftermarket/dp/B002Z61QAU

They have MANY models though, you can get one with the compass, outside temperature, map lights or now they even offer one with built in back up monitor and soon one with a built in radar detector. I didn’t need the map lights or the temperature since the car already had those, and such a small car I wasn’t really interested in the back up monitor, so the compass only one was the winner for me. It is also a green display so it matches out internal color scheme well.

The rear view mount IS an issue.... I did a lot of searching and about the only option for one that uses our existing mount is to get one of the 2004 models from the Crossfire or you MAY be able to source one from another small European car but since Gentex is the manufacturer for almost all of those I really liked the idea of just getting a new one straight from the original maker. Plus, as said above, I really wanted one with the compass.

So, again, the mount is an issue so I just popped off the factory mount and picked up a standard metal, slide tab mount. Some rear view mirror adhesive and I was good to go! I had to mount it a touch lower on the window, but it folds up high and into the same place as the factory one so it doesn’t obstruct any more view. If you looked at it from the outside and didn’t already know the factory one mounted higher, you wouldn’t ever second guess it and again from the inside you would have to go looking to notice any difference.

If you Google "Removing rear view mirror mount" you will find all kinds of posts out there on doing it, for me I just heated it up with a heat gun and slid a hard paint scraper behind it... I know, that sounds bad, but I was very careful, didn't scratch the window at all and it popped off amazingly easy. In fact, I was actually just testing it to see how far I could push the scraper in before running into resistance and POP off it came!

As said before, this was a Christmas present, LAST year, so its actually been done, installed and working since about February, I just had not had time to post about it. So if any one is worried about the new mount holding, it has been through 2 seasons and 7 months of use and driving (over 15,000 miles!) with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Daniel454; 09-15-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

Nice job!!! I'll send my car to you for the mods...I think you just created a new 2nd job for yourself

Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel454
I used the Genk5A model. It was actually a Christmas present from the wife so I am not sure which website she got it through but Amazon has them.
http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK5A-Auto-Dimming-Compass-Aftermarket/dp/B002Z61QAU

They have MANY models though, you can get one with the compass, outside temperature, map lights or now they even offer one with built in back up monitor and soon one with a built in radar detector. I didn’t need the map lights or the temperature since the car already had those, and such a small car I wasn’t really interested in the back up monitor, so the compass only one was the winner for me. It is also a green display so it matches out internal color scheme well.

The rear view mount IS an issue.... I did a lot of searching and about the only option for one that uses our existing mount is to get one of the 2004 models from the Crossfire or you MAY be able to source one from another small European car but since Gentex is the manufacturer for almost all of those I really liked the idea of just getting a new one straight from the original maker. Plus, as said above, I really wanted one with the compass.

So, again, the mount is an issue so I just popped of the factory mount and picked up a standard metal, slide tab mount. Some rear view mirror adhesive and I was good to go! I had to mount it a touch lower on the window, but it folds up high and into the same place as the factory one so it doesn’t obstruct any more view. If you looked at it from the outside and didn’t already know the factory one mounted higher, you wouldn’t ever second guess it and again from the inside you would have to go looking to notice any difference.

If you Google "Removing rear view mirror mount" you will find all kinds of posts out there on doing it, for me I just heated it up with a heat gun and slid a hard paint scraper behind it... I know, that sounds bad, but I was very careful, didn't scratch the window at all and it popped off amazingly easy. In fact, I was actually just testing it to see how far I could push the scraper in before running into resistance and POP off it came!

As said before, this was a Christmas present, LAST year, so its actually been done, installed and working since about February, I just had not had time to post about it. So if any one is worried about the new mount holding, it has been through 2 seasons and 7 months of use and driving (over 15,000 miles!) with no issues whatsoever.
Thanks Daniel. That's the one I'd use too as I don't need the temp either. I have had lots of experience with remounting mirrors over the years and never an issue with them as long as you let them dry well before hanging that weight on them.

I already have a 3.5" backup cam that is wireless so that would be unnecessary add on but would be a nice feature for de clutter.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Forum Regular

Pretty awesome mods sir. Reminds me of how I changed out my entire shift pod for an autostick one on my 2002 Stratus sedan...

One question... does the 2004 autodim mirror have the compass bearing in the upper right corner or did you add that? Where'd you go to find the instructions for doing so?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mjgroves
Pretty awesome mods sir. Reminds me of how I changed out my entire shift pod for an autostick one on my 2002 Stratus sedan...

One question... does the 2004 autodim mirror have the compass bearing in the upper right corner or did you add that? Where'd you go to find the instructions for doing so?

Thanks!
The Crossfire OEM 2004 Auto Dim mirorr has no compass in it. I am not sure of the exact thread but there was one or two on here that showed how to install it but again it doesnt have the compass. I used an aftermarket mirror, post with the link & model # is a couple posts up.

It comes with instructions but basically you just have to find a switched 12v supply which exists just in front of it on the Homelink / Garage door opener. You will have to also change out the mount for it if you go with te aftermarket one, which you wouldnt have to if you went with an original Crossfire model, but I wanted the compass.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel454
The Crossfire OEM 2004 Auto Dim mirorr has no compass in it. I am not sure of the exact thread but there was one or two on here that showed how to install it but again it doesnt have the compass. I used an aftermarket mirror, post with the link & model # is a couple posts up.

It comes with instructions but basically you just have to find a switched 12v supply which exists just in front of it on the Homelink / Garage door opener. You will have to also change out the mount for it if you go with te aftermarket one, which you wouldnt have to if you went with an original Crossfire model, but I wanted the compass.
Thanks for the info. I cant help but look at the "empty switch" on the center console... I wish that was utilized for something else! What, i dunno...

Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mjgroves
Thanks for the info. I cant help but look at the "empty switch" on the center console... I wish that was utilized for something else! What, i dunno...
Well I chose a fog light switch, but really, the sky is the limit, if it can be ran by a relay, it can be done....

Just sitting here thinking, would be cool to make it work the windrestrictor, or could be used for aux LED lighting, or really whatever you wanted.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish they had a video how to install auto headlights