TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

HOW-TO: Disable the Seatbelt Warning Chime

Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW-TO: Disable the Seatbelt Warning Chime

See the attached PDF for instructions on how to disable the annoying seatbelt warning chime WITHOUT cutting any wires or using a computer.

This information is provides as is and without any warranty or guarantee implicit or implied.
The user voluntarily uses this information and the author is not responsible for any results of using this information. Use this information at your own discretion as you MAY void your warranty that came with your car.

Attached Files
Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Epyon
Default Re: HOW-TO: Disable the Seatbelt Warning Chime

thank you very much.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!! I have a long driveway and hate putting the belt on after I check the mail.

Phil.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:32 AM

that's way too much work to not put a seatbelt on...buckle up kids, it's the law.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Core
...buckle up kids, it's the law.
Please don't start that discussion again. *lol* I think we had enough with this one.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:02 PM

I have a mother already, I don't need my car telling me to wear a seat belt.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM

There's an easier way, reach across, grab the passenger seat belt and insert it onto the drivers side female end. done! 3 seconds compared to 2 hrs of unnecessary work.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:59 PM

Yeah your Passenger will LOVE that one.
It takes 45 minutes, unless you are a mouth breather then it would take 2 hours.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 PM

you can also go to your dealer and get one of those FAT people extensions. That is what they use at my dealership.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are flexible, you can do this without taking out the seat. I did mine in under 10 min.
Thanks for the info...

Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the easiest way to disable the chime:

begin by moving the drivers seat forward & up as high as possible... the wire is easier to access from the rear of the seat... it is clipped onto the far back side metal seat frame edge under the seat... held in place by 2 metal tab clips... release the clips and you will have nearly a foot of wire to work with. a flash light will aid... carefully cut back the plastic sheathing... 3 wires will be exposed... snip the brown wire and the chime has been eliminated w/o any side effects. tape the wires back up with electrical tape and re-secure with the clips.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

oh & to all of those about to lecture...

i do wear my seat belt 95% of the time. i remove it when setting up my real estate open house signs... driving slowly from corner to corner and hearing the chime was overwhelming... and moving my car around in my driveway... ding ding ding...

others in the past expressed... they hated putting it back on driving up their long driveway after obtaining the mail from their box... driving around slowly in a parking lot, etc.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by vsilvia
Yeah your Passenger will LOVE that one.
It takes 45 minutes, unless you are a mouth breather then it would take 2 hours.
What does breathing through your mouth have anything to do with anything.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:30 AM

A simple way to disable the chime on the drivers side can cost you just $1.00 yes just one dollar. And best of all you do it from the drivers seat as needed, such a simple way to address this issue and if you don't like it no big deal just go back to your old way.
seat belt.jpg
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
This one is from an older Audi 6000 from the junk yard and yes it fits our crossfires perfect. So grab a piece of paper trace out your seat bracket and go shopping at the yard and bring a knife to cut the web belt off.
More pics to follow on other little misc things/fixes to come so stay tuned.

P.S. This can be left in (connected) all the time to stop the chiming noise and removed as necessary to use the factory belt as per uncle sam.

Last edited by 178; 02-25-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: HOW-TO: Disable the Seatbelt Warning Chime

Has anyone ever watched the GEICO commercial? The one where the husband is talking to the pregnant wife and she wants him to go and get pickles and ice cream. So he smiles and says anything for you and then it shows him in the car in the driveway and her at the door smiling and waving as he does the same too. As he is all happy and backing out of the driveway, WHAM! Some freak T-bones him. That was in his driveway, or at least backing out of it. No matter how safe you might think you drive, be aware of the idiot that doesn't care how they drive.

Especially if it is this guy driving.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing up an old thread, but if i decide to not remove the whole seat and do it the way andrew posted I already see a bunch of wires exposed a red a blue and a green and a brown wire... It is almost as if there is more than one brown wire? And as if someone previously tampered with it possibly the previous owner? Would it matter which brown wire I snip and where? Do these wires have any other purposes?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
the easiest way to disable the chime:

begin by moving the drivers seat forward & up as high as possible... the wire is easier to access from the rear of the seat... it is clipped onto the far back side metal seat frame edge under the seat... held in place by 2 metal tab clips... release the clips and you will have nearly a foot of wire to work with. a flash light will aid... carefully cut back the plastic sheathing... 3 wires will be exposed... snip the brown wire and the chime has been eliminated w/o any side effects. tape the wires back up with electrical tape and re-secure with the clips.
I have read this post maybe a good 10 times, but maybe due to either the fact that someone (previous owner) has tampered with the seats, or my lack of english I do not really understand what to do... I moved the seats all the way forward and I have a decent reach inside, but there is no way I can or any human being can reach the clips on the end of the seat... there is a thick cloth wire close to me and a block plastic wire a little further and I can barely see brown red and blue wires exposed and I can reach to snip the brown wire, but I get the impression that there is more than one brown wire so does it matter which one I snip?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

sidez - i will take some pics for ya... yet tonight.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 PM

thanks andrew you've always been my hero.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Administrator

here are some pics with the drivers seat all the way forward and in its highest position.

2 clips attach to this metal rail...
IMG_49431.jpg

the circled area is where i cut back the plastic sheathing and sniped the brown wire... needs covered with electrical tape...
IMG_49371.jpg

the clips (2) that hold this very long wire under the seat are located on the underside metal frame toward the back edge (slip off rail)... remove both clips & you will have 12" of wire to work with. carefully cut back the plastic sheathing and snip the single brown wire (3 wires total)... tape wire with electrical tape and reinstall... you'll realize how simple it is once you do it.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Disable the Seatbelt Warning Chime