Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

After reading about the Sprint Booster on earlier postings, I was able to track down some info at Boulekos Dynamic (Athens, Greece):

www.sprintbooster.gr/en/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Apparently, they are the inventors of this fascinating little device.

After an email exchange with Stamatis Boulekos at: info@boulekosdynamic.com, I decided to take the leap and order one of these units. Without dragging this out, let me just say that it is SUPERB and worth the cost (IMHO)! I finally figured out how to install the thing (it was easy, but, of course, I tried the hard things first) and it works as advertised.

Gets rid of all throttle lag - much MUCH faster throttle response - makes the car feel like it has at 10-15% more power (though, of course, that is really unchanged) due to the quickened throttle-engine response. I believe that this is much the same feeling that one would get with a "chip" flash. It chirps tires in 1st and 2nd without trying to do so and the backend squirms as the power is "put down" faster... Impressive for a plug-and-drive device.

All of the usual "doubters" out there will be questioning this, I am sure, but until you've tried it - save your comments and doubts for yourselves!!! I got the same reaction to my news on the InaZma Max Voltage device and those of you who have tried it know what a great unit that is!!! This is even better!

Worst news... Not cheap at 226 Euros + 46 Euros shipping (wire bank transfer cost me about $390 due to bank charging me a $40+ processing fee!). Possibly, we could arrange a group buy or maybe Boulekos will obtain a US distributor...

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Originally Posted by rdotson
After reading about the Sprint Booster on earlier postings, I was able to track down some info at Boulekos Dynamic (Athens, Greece):

www.sprintbooster.gr/en/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Apparently, they are the inventors of this fascinating little device.

After an email exchange with Stamatis Boulekos at: info@boulekosdynamic.com, I decided to take the leap and order one of these units. Without dragging this out, let me just say that it is SUPERB and worth the cost (IMHO)! I finally figured out how to install the thing (it was easy, but, of course, I tried the hard things first) and it works as advertised.

Gets rid of all throttle lag - much MUCH faster throttle response - makes the car feel like it has at 10-15% more power (though, of course, that is really unchanged) due to the quickened throttle-engine response. I believe that this is much the same feeling that one would get with a "chip" flash. It chirps tires in 1st and 2nd without trying to do so and the backend squirms as the power is "put down" faster... Impressive for a plug-and-drive device.

All of the usual "doubters" out there will be questioning this, I am sure, but until you've tried it - save your comments and doubts for yourselves!!! I got the same reaction to my news on the InaZma Max Voltage device and those of you who have tried it know what a great unit that is!!! This is even better!

Worst news... Not cheap at 226 Euros + 46 Euros shipping (wire bank transfer cost me about $390 due to bank charging me a $40+ processing fee!). Possibly, we could arrange a group buy or maybe Boulekos will obtain a US distributor...
thanks for being the PIONEER and the positive write up...

how was the install? any pics?

thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 PM

The device is a nicely made set of two plugs connected with a cable about 4" long (looks like a factory/OEM piece) - unfortunately, I didn't make any pictures before getting the thing installed... I think there may be some pix at the Boulekos site. The factory cable has 6 wires in the cable - the SB only uses 5 of them...

Anyway, it plugs straight into the accelerator position sensor at the top right corner of the accelerator pedal assembly (refer: Vol 2 of 2004 Service Manual, 14-25 to 29 for good pix and instrux)... I mistakenly thought that you would have to totally disassemble the panel under the dash to get to the plug - after bruises, cuts, contortions, cursing, and sweating, I discovered that all one has to do is remove the NUT COVER from the lower accelerator nut (see manual) - remove the nut (10mm socket) - use a magnet to extract the washer that lies under the nut and about the welded stud that the pedal assembly bolts to (you cannot remove the pedal assembly without removing this washer!!!) - then wiggle the entire pedal assembly free (carefully!) - remove connector from position sensor (press two tabs together and pull away) - insert Sprint Booster device in line - be careful to align properly (only one way to connect ends) and press connectors together until catches snap. Reposition accelerator pedal assembly - replace washer around welded stud - replace lower accelerator nut and tighten (to 11 ft. lbs - though, I just tightened firmly)!

Note: the manual cites an "accelerator pedal upper nut" - there is no such thing. The upper part of the assembly has a post which engages a hole in a metal bracket welded to the bulkhead - therefore, for disassembly, remove lower nut and pull pedal assembly down and out - for assembly, put the post in the hole - push pedal assembly up and in - place washer and nut and tighten in place!

Insert key and GO!!! This is NOT the same as "re-setting" the computer to reverse the "learning" of the computer - much faster throttle response... Totally different!

There are two models of this device - one for auto trans (BDD 451A) and one for manual (BDD 451). This should work on every version/application of our engine.

The unit was delivered via UPS within about 5 days of my wiring the funds to Greece!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 PM
sbj

It sounds like a good product. The initial throttle response is slower then other cars I have driven, because they were not drive by wire adaptive throttle obviously. This might be worth it.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Forum Regular

R...

When i first stumbled upon this booster, was on a MBforum with a link to a german website and although i do not understand german... and what i read in the forum(s) NO one complained after install... and some claimed remarkable MPG improvements... this product was beneficial to the XF... i put it on the "backburner". Until now...

With A COPY OF YOUR WALK THROUGH, WILL certainly make my install fast and problem free. WILL POST HERE WHEN I INSTALL MINE...

Much thanks cheers!

j

Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by xfire1
and some claimed remarkable MPG improvements...
hmmm how does that happen?

rdotson.. how did you find the part numbers for SB that fits the crossfire? Can't see anything listed on the site. Also I couldn't see the price listed anywhere on the site.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:30 AM

I like the sound of this, my first comment about the car was "Why doesn't anything happen when you press the throttle?"

I may wait of one or two more reviews before going ahead but it looks promising

Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just I note on this...I had all the throttle body apart and checked to see how the butterfy moves in realation to the pedal. As far as I could see there was actually no delay in the butterfly responding to the pedal. I think this add-on must be giving disproportionatly wide butterfly movement for the initial few degrees of pedal travel. You might find that it behaves differently between an Autostick and a manul too since the former usually have a linear response and the latter have rising rate respones. Not sure if this is the case with the xfire though.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 PM
sbj

I want to hear an experience with the auto next.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Trying to get a little more info from them as to how it works with the auto. Also taking in to account what woody has just mentioned.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Concerning earlier questions... Boulekos had no knowledge about the Crossfire. They were not sure if it would work with the XF, in fact. BUT, we all know that we essentially have an M-B 320SLK (3.2 L V6 M-B engine) and, therefore, the Sprint Booster for that engine should work fine. I took the gamble and - yes - it works perfectly well! ...just got back from lunch in the car and it is a new driving experience - no lag or delay, AT ALL! Glad I did it... !

Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fascinating device. Thanks for sharing the info. The throttle lag is an evident problem with the stock setup.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 AM
sbj

Is it definitely a "given" that it would cost around $400 USD for this product?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:36 AM

We are stuck by lack of a US distributor, our falling currency, and outrageous bank fees... If things were as they should be, the SB should be around $250 here in the States, I would estimate.

Update: Took my neighbor car-nut and close friend for a ride to get his reaction (he races sports cars some - has had several Ferraris, etc.)...When he hit the accelerator, of course, the car squirmed and jumped throwing us both back into the seats as it leapt forward! He was astounded by the cars sudden aggressiveness... He noticed as I have that it even sounded better!? ...He thought I had changed the exhaust system (I don't know the explanation for this, but it does has a lower throatier sound - "racier"?)! Gang, this thing really works and is worth the $ - even at near $400 that I paid... It will bring a smile to your face!!! Guaranteed!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:29 AM

Before you go and spend mega buck on this thing it's worth resetting the throttle response to see if that makes any difference.

I have just done this and it's like driving a new car.

Previously I couldn't change gear smoothly, quite simply because I wasn't depressing the throttle enough when I changed, now it's great and much more responsive.

Trouble is, it's not my car it's my wife's, and she is really not very happy with me, because now she can't drive it smoothly, where as she could previously with the throttle lag.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 AM

The Sprint Booster is much much superior to re-setting the throttle... I used to re-set mine every few days and it was not remotely as impressive as this mod. The same suggestions, by the way, were posted on the M-B forum with response similar to mine from SB users - that's one reason I went ahead and purchased the SB.

It's fine to re-set the throttle response as has been advocated, but - again - it is not the same. Even re-set, the stock throttle assembly has a significant delay...

Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 AM

I'm not saying its as good only its worth doing the reset first, because after the reset it may be acceptable to some people. Ours was diabolical before resetting it, now it's acceptable.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
sbj

I have an auto, so I know the sprintbooster will not be as aggressive as a manual, but it will be more linear, almost like bmws response (having experience with an E46 330). That would be great, but if I could find it closer to $250 USD, I will definitely be interested in buying.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, how about a group buy? I'm all in even without a auto test. Mine is a auto but I also go to the MB site and have seen the posts about this. I have emailed them asking about this and invited them to this forum to see who we are.

Last edited by PAULW; 07-14-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:07 AM
sbj

If anyone on this site has a sprintbooster, can you show us a picture of which one you used for the crossfire? Because there are various vw, bmw and audi sprintboosters as well.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!