Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Side vents - possible mod?

Old 09-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Side vents - possible mod?

I've been wondering if it would be possible and functional to open up the faux vent on the sides of the car (where the strakes come from) to allow some heat venting for engine. I've noticed that on the Mercedes, which has a similar set up, the vent is actually there. Whether it has any functional value or not I do not know, but it really looks so much better than the obviously fake design element currently on the XF.

The material covering the vent opening could be the same as seen on the Viper hood vents. Just wondering if anyone else out there has thought about this and might have any suggestions, recommendations as to how this could be done, and if would have any practical vs. aesthetic purpose.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Side vents - possible mod?

I have been scratching my head thinking the exact same thing. I love my car, but the side vents are an eyesore on this car (IMO). I would like to see it opened up and have two chrome bars across the side vent with an SRT-6 emblem in the middle. Functional or not this would be a great appearance upgrade.

I couldn't agree more that there should be something done to allow heat to flow out of the engine compartment. However, I don't claim to be anyone remotely close to a mechanic or someone with even a nominal knowledge of our engines. I only hope someone could make this idea a reality.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:56 PM

Those things just stick on there. Go to a shop and have a hole cut in it.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Forum Regular

Here you go... with and without. Also see the poll.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t=side+strakes

I voted without, until such time as someone comes up with a design similar to the Corvettes...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XF 017-3.jpg (89.4 KB, 156 views)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
I've been wondering if it would be possible and functional to open up the faux vent on the sides of the car (where the strakes come from) to allow some heat venting for engine. I've noticed that on the Mercedes, which has a similar set up, the vent is actually there. Whether it has any functional value or not I do not know, but it really looks so much better than the obviously fake design element currently on the XF.

The material covering the vent opening could be the same as seen on the Viper hood vents. Just wondering if anyone else out there has thought about this and might have any suggestions, recommendations as to how this could be done, and if would have any practical vs. aesthetic purpose.
Good idea. IMO the "vents" are only stick-on plastic, so you'll have to cut the body to the shape. Also all the interior in that area is boxed-in with molded plastic panels encasing it. On the passenger side it houses the washer fluid tank and on the driver side it houses some wire looms. The only thing I can ascertain that it would help vent if you removed all the interior components would be to help the air flow off the disk brakes. I've gutted all those extra bits under the wheel well, but not cut the holes for the vents yet.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HDDP,
No, i was not pondering your answer for all this time, i just totally missed your post from ages ago. Oddly enough, i was just thinking about this again and found this old thread.

First, how are you? Been ages, my bad, but I hope your still racing something.

Second, you made a good point about the break venting, I was thinking that it might be a good way to vent out heat and air pressure from the wheel wells by opening up those side vents.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True Fender Vents