Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Mystery no start issue

Old 10-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery no start issue

***EDIT - PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED BY REPLACING THE RELAY CONTROL MODULE.***

I keep seeing threads about this, just how many people have been effected?

Here's my thread about the issue:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=16886

The dealer couldn't look at it until a few days later, but when they did, it started 1st try. They scanned the ECU and it wasn't holding any codes. They reset it since the TPS and airbag lights were on for no reason, but they couldn't find anything wrong. I told them to keep it for a few more days and keep trying to start it, it started every single time for them. I haven't had a problem since a month ago when it was at the dealer, but then again it hasn't sat for more than a few days.

I know people keep trying to say this a crank sensor issue, but I really don't think it is. Nor is it an auto/manual issue as both have experienced problems.

From what I've seen here's who's been having this same problem:

BltByKrmn (me)
Extensive
Fenwick223

Last edited by BltByKrmn; 12-19-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Default Re: Mystery no start issue

I was going to respond "Me, Me" but I see you already have me on the list. I think that there may be a few more folks "buried" in some threads somewhere.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Mystery no start issue

Could it be that a lot of later purchased Crossfires have been just sitting on the docks and dealers lots and are now having electrical issues due to weather/ and or salt air, just a thought.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Life is random...so am I.

I can really see it being a grounding issue with the intermittent nature of it.

I would also suggest replacing the battery in the keyfob...quick and easy compared to back-probing the wiring harness!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '04 Cpe had this problem also. The only thing that worked for me was keeping it on a trickle charger when it was parked. It did strand me a few times though even with this procedure. I changed the battery and didn't notice the problem anymore, but I also traded for my '05.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Does this only happen to people that leave their cars parked for a couple days or more at a time? My Xfire is a daily driver, and an '04 to boot. I don't have any problems, but I can see how an issue would arise if the car was left for days without being driven.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 PM

I purchased my XF used and it had what most consider to be high miles on it so it appears that it never sat a a dock somewhere. Since I got the car back from the dealer I've tried to drive it everyday. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday it started everytime. Thursday is didn't start and I tried it 3 times over the course of 2 hours. Friday morning it started and again on Saturday and Sunday. This evening, it wouldn't start. I will try it again in about an hour. I contacted by local Goodyear store since they carry Interstate batteries (evidently the exact same as the OEM ones) and they were happy to sell me one but asked why I felt I needed a new battery. When I told them they said whatever problem you're having it's doesn't sound like the battery to us. I'm sure that the dealer checked that first. The saga continues.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Mine only has 45k on it and the battery was replaced about 6 months ago. The remote batteries seem to be good since you can see the red light when you hit the button, but I'm gonna pick up 2 more and leave them in the car just in case it happens again.

I've been driving it almost every day since I got it back from the dealer (2nd week of Sept) and it hasn't happened again.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Well maybe it's the simple, obvious answer. If the problem doesn't occur during the next trip to the dealer, and they can't find out what's wrong, maybe I'll just have a new battery put in. What the heck, I'll need one sooner or later so it's not like I'm wasting the money. Might as well get it now.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
Well maybe it's the simple, obvious answer. If the problem doesn't occur during the next trip to the dealer, and they can't find out what's wrong, maybe I'll just have a new battery put in. What the heck, I'll need one sooner or later so it's not like I'm wasting the money. Might as well get it now.
Now are all of us having this issues...

My experience is Not like when a car battery is low and you keep revving ... and you can even flood your engine trying to get it started...

If I had this issue I would be Happy... !!

The Issue I am having is the car will power on, everything works as if the battery is full charged... they tested the battery since they boosted and it is holding a charge...

Yet, when I turn the key to start the car... It makes a small noise maybe its the fan, or engine trying to turn over once... and that's it... No noise... no revving, as if a kill switch has cut the gas going to my engine...

3 weeks now no car! Been at the dealership for 5 days... they can Not figure out whats wrong!! And they are waiting for me to OK the to spend $3k to change my modular, keys and computers cuz they "think" that this might be the sudden issue...

Also note, that up till 3 weeks ago when I left my lights on over night, went back to my car saw the battery had died... called chrysler road side they came to boost me ... nothing happened car would not start...

Any 3 weeks later still have No idea what's wrong with it!! And can't afford $3k to fix it!

Once again, until this... I never had one issue with the car! Ran to the dealership late sunday night with new batteries in my remotes think "please start" and it did not!!

My bumper to bumper warranty just ended... I only have 30 miles and its an '04... and they will Not fix the computer under warranty!!

Last edited by Extensive; 10-15-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Mystery no start issue

Could it possibly be the electric fuel pump?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Could it possibly be the electric fuel pump?
I know nothing about cars!!

If you guys can brain storm and put together a list of what you think might be causing this issue...

I can bring it to the dealer and have them check everything you guys advised !!

Thanks for the help!!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM

Sorry to be giving everyone a blow by blow description of what's happening but maybe someday it will help someone. I did go out this evening to try to start my XF and it started right up. Picked up my daughter and on the way home it stalled out at a stoplight in traffic. This is the first time this has happened. It then decided that it was a good time NOT TO START! I was able to roll down a hill and get off the main road where I waited a few minutes and (miracle of miracles) it started! Drove it home where it will stay until it goes back to the dealer. If the situation was intolerable before it just got a lot worse.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Before you drop any more money, especially $3,000, I would suggest you go to the Mercedes Benz forums...look for the SLK 320 forum and do a search for your problem. Sorry, I do not have the link on this computer for the forums.

If you don't find anything, post a question. I found these folks to be very friendly, as well as helpful. I joined their forum, and was welcomed by everyone. I also discovered they had many of the same problems, but since the cars go back a few years before the XFire, they already had answers.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Does the car even try to crank over? Do you hear the solenoid engaging when you turn the key?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 PM

As far as mine is concerned, nope. All the dash warning lights come on, you can hear the engine fan starting but turning the key does not cause any sound - no clicking, no engine or other part turning over, NOTHING. Wait 5 minutes, an hour, or until the next day and varooommm...as normal as can be.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by apkano
Does the car even try to crank over? Do you hear the solenoid engaging when you turn the key?
Every time a crank it to the right to turn on the car... I here one sound it sounds like a mild rev... and that's it... I try again same sound is heard... but that's it... then nothing ...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
As far as mine is concerned, nope. All the dash warning lights come on, you can hear the engine fan starting but turning the key does not cause any sound - no clicking, no engine or other part turning over, NOTHING. Wait 5 minutes, an hour, or until the next day and varooommm...as normal as can be.
I'm with you, the 2 times it happened to me (12 hours the 1st time and 5 days the 2nd time) I would get the lights, radio, HVAC and fan but nothing else. No click, no starter, no sputter.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BltByKrmn
I'm with you, the 2 times it happened to me (12 hours the 1st time and 5 days the 2nd time) I would get the lights, radio, HVAC and fan but nothing else. No click, no starter, no sputter.
was your battery reading ok when they tested it?

so you put a brand new battery in and have has zero problems since?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Forum Regular

I keep my car outside for sometimes up to 5-6 days in a row without starting it. Its a 2004 Coupe. I have never had this problem but you're starting to worry me...I don't want to get stranded!

Quick Reply: Mystery no start issue