Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

How Effective Is The Spoiler

Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: How Effective Is The Spoiler

Originally Posted by AlG
The owners manual states very explicitly that one shouldn't drive the car over 62 mph if the spoiler does not deploy so the car must get "light" at that speed. Therefore I'm sure it has a use. The old Audi TT had that same problem. When they were originally built they didn't have that bar on the trunk but then too many people were losing control and Audi recalled all that were built until that time to retrofit them. The ones that were built after that time had them already on the trunk.
As a devoted NASCAR fan I've gotta say this is what Darrel Waltrip would call "gettin' loose"!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How Effective Is The Spoiler

Very interesting post but now I have to ask about diffusers. I was under the impression that they helped with top speed by reducing drag but after reading all this I think I was wrong. Can somebody clarify for me? Now it seems that they would just reduce lift and actually cause more downforce, reducing top speed/increasing handling at high speed. In addition my brain might just be fried from reading this whole thing and consuming too much crown last night lol. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular

At 120+ the *** of my limited gets real floaty. Not a comforting feeling at all. As for the 80 pounds of downforce my subwoofers have that covered.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
Have you ever noticed how much the silhouette of the crossfire looks like an airplane wing?

If you're curious about it's effectiveness........disable the spoiler and go for a drive on the expressway at speed! You can feel the back of the car try to "hunt" around......it's a less than comforting sensation! Don't say I didn't warn you!
Apkano,

I thought I'd try it just 'cause I think the roadster looks so sleek with the top down. Besides, I get a lot of ribbing for the wimpy looking wing from some of the guys at work.

I guess the car looked cool enough but at 90 MPH it scared the h*ll out of me. Rear end was all over the place, as sloppy as the wife's mini van.
I think it's more than down force. Perhaps the wing offers some aerodynamic stability as well. (?)

Yeah, there is a difference without the spoiler.

roadster with a stick.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 06-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airscape
Very interesting post but now I have to ask about diffusers. I was under the impression that they helped with top speed by reducing drag but after reading all this I think I was wrong. Can somebody clarify for me? Now it seems that they would just reduce lift and actually cause more downforce, reducing top speed/increasing handling at high speed. In addition my brain might just be fried from reading this whole thing and consuming too much crown last night lol. Thanks for any info you can provide.
I'm neither an aerodynamicist nor an engineer, but I believe that diffusors and other underbody elements create downforce without the increased drag created by a wing. A high drag wing can create a ton of downforce but also dramatically reduce top speed simply because of the drag created. Diffusors can provide a lot of downforce without the sacrifice in top speed (or not as much of a sacrifice).

I think.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Forum Regular

This tread has been a good example of intelligent conversation. What good information we have all gained. Thanks everyone.

The only thing that worries me is Franc driving 90 MPH, volunteering to be a test driver to see what happens when you drive without the spoiler being deployed. Who do you think you are Franc, Chuck Freaking Yeager ? No wonder your wife is balking at your getting a SRT6 .

Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck65
This tread has been a good example of intelligent conversation. What good information we have all gained. Thanks everyone.

The only thing that worries me is Franc driving 90 MPH, volunteering to be a test driver to see what happens when you drive without the spoiler being deployed. Who do you think you are Franc, Chuck Freaking Yeager ? No wonder your wife is balking at your getting a SRT6 .
Cathy likes it at 120 MPH.

Truth is the car is rock solid the faster you go. Without the spoiler it was just loose, like most any car. My 82 TA had a "spoiler" but it was more for looks than function. At 130 MPH the louvres would rattle and the rear was floaty. Spoiler was ineffective.

If it was just weight, I guess you could put 80 Lbs in the back, but I'm not going to test it.

roadster with a stick.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Airscape
Now it seems that they would just reduce lift and actually cause more downforce, reducing top speed/increasing handling at high speed.
The reason you are confused is because you are assuming an erroneous relationship between drag and downforce.

Drag and downforce are not always directly related. Therefore, it is possible to reduce lift, cause more downforce and still not reduce top speed.

For cars, ground effects make this possible/easy. In airplanes, you have to play different games (vortex generators, wing aspect, canards, wingtips, etc)

I had the stock CF at 115 on the track and repeatedly went around turns at 100+ mph. "Floaty" isn't the word I would use, although I'm sure everyone's interpretation of the word differs. I felt that the car behaved at those speeds the same as it does at 60mph. The only difference was the "fear factor" that comes when ones mind thinks, "what if I run off the road at these speeds?"

Last edited by sonoronos; 06-09-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Cathy likes it at 120 MPH.

Truth is the car is rock solid the faster you go. Without the spoiler it was just loose, like most any car. My 82 TA had a "spoiler" but it was more for looks than function. At 130 MPH the louvres would rattle and the rear was floaty. Spoiler was ineffective.

If it was just weight, I guess you could put 80 Lbs in the back, but I'm not going to test it.

roadster with a stick.
I'll take your word for it Franc, thanks for testing.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Most spoilers just do spoil the look of the car. But there are also significant effects they do to improve car's functionality. Like spoilers improves aerodynamics and reduces drag which helps minimize the use of fuel as well as protecting your car from ding or scratch. Even simple chin spoilers (e.g. Lip Kit | Get the Original Universal Car Lip Today) can do these advantages, so I guess they all worth installing for.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Be sure to look at the top left hand corner of the post to see the date when the discussion was taking place greensander11. Since that long ago discussion, some of us were able to meet up with the design engineers in Detroit. The spoilers were discussed as well as the pan under the engine. The spoilers on both the NA and the SRT are functional and needed downforce. The belly pan keeps the car flat underneath as well. After that mtg I re-installed those belly pans lol. Keep posting. Just check your dates. Keep up with what is current.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent
Wings and spoilers function differently but the end result is the same. First a little background.

The shape of the Crossfire mimics a wing and as a result lift is generated. In order to have lift you must first have a high pressure zone and a low pressure zone. Obviously in the case of the Crossfire the high pressure zone is under the car and the low zone is above. Both zones are pushing against the car but the high pressure zone pushes with more force and lifts the car. The low pressure zone is not strong enough to counteract the high pressure one to push the car back onto the road. So how are these zones created? It's done by air being moved faster over the top of the car than the bottom. Look at the Crossfire in profile and mentally draw a line from the grill, along the hood, over the top and down the back. Now do the same except go underneath the car. Which line is longer? Since air molecules like to "hang together" those that go over the top of the car must move faster (since they have a greater distance to travel compared to those going under the car) so they can meet up with their respective drinking buddy molecules at the rear of the car. This accelerated mass of air has less "push" against the car compared to the air underneath. Another way of looking at it (and maybe easier to visualize) is that you have the same number of air molecules above and below the Crossfire. Since the molecules above have a greater area to cover (remember our mental line) they are spread out more and have less weight or push per square meter, foot or whatever the measurement of your choice.

What a spoiler does is to disrupt or kill the airflow over the top of the wing or Crossfire in our case. No airflow means that no low pressure zone is created.

Now I know that many members here already understand all of the above but I thought that those members not as knowledgable about aerodynamics would appreciate a basic primer.

How Chrysler determined the amount of downward force generated by the spoiler is beyond me. Part of the problem may be that it actually is a wing and is just misnamed. But from what I've seen of it I would call it a spoiler.

The gizmo on the back of the SRT-6 is a wing. It is shaped like a wing and is designed to allow air to flow over and under it.

Now for another basic primer on the SRT-6 wing. Imagine the Crossfire in profile in all it's lift producing glory. Now iimagine another profiled Crossfire except this one is little. Flip the little Crossfire over and stick it on the back of the big Crossfire. There's your wing. Just as air is pushing at the bottom of the big Crossfire, it also pushes at the bottom of the little Crossfire. And the push of the little Crossfire is what keeps the rear of the big one planted.

And why a wing on a SRT-6 and not a spoiler? I'll echo the thoughts of others that it is more effective for higher speeds and acceleration, and that it makes the SRT-6 standout more from the standard Crossfire. But I'll add that I think Chrysler went with it to keep costs down.
Technically, a lot of what you mentioned is correct, BUT, the wing/spoiler on the SRT6, does in fact have an airfoil, a longer surface, ON THE BOTTOM, which acts opposite of an aircraft wing, by creating an area of low pressure, beneath the wing. It is also mounted with the leading edge down 3-5 degrees, also creating downward force. ImI'm nnot smart enough to understand the interaction with the shape of the body and impact on airflow over the top of the body, since the body has an airfoil shape, which would result in uplift, withwithout the spoiling effect of the wing/spoiler. Only a wind tunnel could verify the effect, whether it be the result of lower pressure above the wing, causing down force, or a combination of spoiling laminar airflow, thereby eliminating the inherent lift generated by the body shape, and contributing some down force as a result of the negative angle of attack. I strongly suspect it is a combination of both dynamics. I just hope it keeps the rearend of my SRT6 on the ground in 150 mph sweeping turns, so I don't have to build a real wing and look goofy. I noticed a post from a road racer with a real wing, and I'm sure he didn't build that wing just to look fast.

Lots of good comments on here. This is a great forum!