Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Gutted Intake Elbow!!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
TVT_DESIGN
Default Gutted Intake Elbow!!

In our quest for the absolute most HP out of a stock appearing motor we are introducing a Gutted Intake Elbow.

This is the elbow that connects between the MAF and throttle body.

Benefits are, smoother airflow and less restriction. Expect a 3-5 HP gain on a stock motor.

It is a very easy DIY, but we will also offer core exchanges if you would like us to do the work.

Price to modify the Elbow will be 35.00, which includes shipping back. There will be a 50.00 core charge refunded upon receiving your old one back.

The elbow goes great with our CAI and is included at no charge with the gutted airbox (just send us your's back).

Here are some pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0403.JPG (229.2 KB, 162 views)
DSCN0405.JPG (253.2 KB, 140 views)
DSCN0406.JPG (226.3 KB, 147 views)
DSCN0407.JPG (255.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gutted Intake Elbow!!

what did those fins do before?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager
They would provide laminar airflow. At the cost of a little restriction. They're efficiency would increase as airflow increases (higher RPM's).

Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Gutted Intake Elbow!!

Not trying to bust anyone's buns on this, but I spent my life in flow developement of air and liquids, I think removing those turning vanes would not be a good Idea, they are there for a reason. They actually increase the flow through the elbow by making it more laminar. Better off leaving them there.

This true airfoil contour reduces pressure loss to the lowest attainable level
Eliminates breakaway of flow from surface on suction side
Smoothly-rounded entry nose with extended trailing edge, no collection of dirt or debris
Provides velocity distribution of greatest possible uniformity
Maintains a consistently high-degree of deflection accuracy.
Derf/Fred

Last edited by Derf; 09-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fin are designed to smooth out airflow, you just detuned that intake elbow TVT.. lol

Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Derf
Not trying to bust anyone's buns on this, but I spent my life in flow developement of air and liquids, I think removing those turning vanes would not be a good Idea, they are there for a reason. They actually increase the flow through the elbow by making it more laminar. Better off leaving them there.

This true airfoil contour reduces pressure loss to the lowest attainable level
Eliminates breakaway of flow from surface on suction side
Smoothly-rounded entry nose with extended trailing edge, no collection of dirt or debris
Provides velocity distribution of greatest possible uniformity
Maintains a consistently high-degree of deflection accuracy.
Derf/Fred
Yep-just what he said.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wealth of expertise and knowledge on this forum astounds me ! I don't know enough about flow dynamics to comment intelligently, but what Derf and Maxcichon says makes alotta of sense to me !

Glad I hadn't torn into that elbow just yet !

Last edited by Stogey; 09-27-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:35 AM
TVT_DESIGN

If you look at the design of the TB and intake elbow you will see that they interfere much more then smooth out flow. Flow is already coming in at a straight drop at this point. the fins direct the air over the vaccuum insertion point and directly in the middle of the butterfly blade.

If this is detuning the elbow, then what would we call the Needswings intake? That seems to flow pretty well and has removed all fins and stabilizers. Is the airflow distorted in their system?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
svo
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
If you look at the design of the TB and intake elbow you will see that they interfere much more then smooth out flow. Flow is already coming in at a straight drop at this point. the fins direct the air over the vaccuum insertion point and directly in the middle of the butterfly blade.

If this is detuning the elbow, then what would we call the Needswings intake? That seems to flow pretty well and has removed all fins and stabilizers. Is the airflow distorted in their system?

it's all about FLUID DYNAMICS - The NeedsWings Intake for one greatly benifits from getting rid of the restriction through the radiator support, air filters, and the Y-section. Perhaps fins inside the elbow of the NeedsWings intake would increase flow there too; the time and effort required may not be justified compairede to the gains - SORRY

Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Forum Regular

Anthony, unfortunately I think you will have to provide yet ANOTHER dyno sheet showing the gains from this mod!!!
I agree with everything you have said regarding the Needswings intake.
There are obviously some people on this forum who do not want you to succede - I think some competition is healthy - raises standards etc. There also seems to be two camps on the forum - a Needswings and a TVT camp. Hopefully the majority of the forum is unbiased and want the best from both camps (like myself) - and I believe they are not voicing their opinion, but shaking their heads in disgust at some of the responses.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately I believe this mod could be a power loss as well. Needswings as well as any other intake that is in the CAI category gets rid of the restriction through the radiator support. Anything that opens up a restriction will benefit air intake.

In this case, yes, you are eliminating a obstruction in the air path. However, in this case you are also removing surfaces meant to guide the air in the proper direction. By removing these you may be introducing more turbulence and hurt air flow in the higher RPM range.

I will be curious to see results on a dyno vs. an unmodified elbow on the same vehicle and setup.

I applaud all the work you have done to date and don't wish to be negative, but as we all strive for that little bit extra power, sometimes we end up loosing it in the process.

Cheers!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 AM

I beg to differ, but the air flow is anything BUT a straight drop at this point. The attached pic shows what happens in an un-modified (no laminar flow baffles) elbow. I have circled the area that the baffles are designed to prevent.

Blue is lowest pressure and red denotes high pressure.

If you look at the small inset at the upper right, it shows the pressure distribution when the flow is doubled. Even worse!

And I want to make it perfectly clear that I want EVERYONE to succeed in these endevours. Not one camp or the other. Some of the members have expertise in certain areas where others do not. We just want to help make the best possible mods to these systems without problems.

OK?

Attached Images
Turbulent Flow.JPG (155.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by maxcichon; 09-29-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
TVT_DESIGN

I appreciate the elbow simulation, unfortunately the radius is not that tight.

I'm not trying to market a product, just something we found to free up some restrictions.

If you want to do it to your car, go for it. We are all adults hear and can make these decisions on our own. If you don't feel it will add power, then don't do it. I promise you I will not be offended.

But please, if you are going to bring fluid dynamics and flow characteristics into the argument, at least use the elbow and set up in question. Any 90 degree elbow will not be the same.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Red face Re: Gutted Intake Elbow!!

I appreciate the elbow simulation, unfortunately the radius is not that tight.

I'm not trying to market a product, just something we found to free up some restrictions.

If you want to do it to your car, go for it. We are all adults hear and can make these decisions on our own. If you don't feel it will add power, then don't do it. I promise you I will not be offended.

But please, if you are going to bring fluid dynamics and flow characteristics into the argument, at least use the elbow and set up in question. Any 90 degree elbow will not be the same.
Sorry for the misrepresentation-that is a generic image to show exagerated turbulence.
BUT, any 90 degree turn will show similar effects. Just to what degree is a function of flow, diameter, bending radius and media (viscosity).

Personally, I think you fellas do a great service for the Crossfire population in general, and an even greater service to those who want to keep a stock looking engine bay. Please keep it up!
And even though we're in the peanut gallery, some of us do know what we're talking about.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Hmm, wouldn't mind to see results on paper :x

Maxcichon: Since you're an expert at this stuff. What would be the better solution here?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow i just want to apologize for asking what the fins were tvt. that was all i wanted to know was what those things were. i didnt mean to start this....thing.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TruTaing
Hmm, wouldn't mind to see results on paper :x

Maxcichon: Since you're an expert at this stuff. What would be the better solution here?
Personally I'd leave it alone. Engineers USUALLY do things for a reason. Right or wrong.

But what the f%^$ do I know?

Hack away.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Personally I'd leave it alone. Engineers USUALLY do things for a reason. Right or wrong.

But what the f%^$ do I know?

Hack away.
I didnt mean to seen negative in any way. Just curious to hear how one who is well versed with this subject would approach it

Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Gutted Intake Elbow!!

Just place a vacuum gauge downstream of the elbow and note the pressure difference(s) before and after. The best way I would suggest to do this, is get another elbow and not modify the stocker, so you can sell the car near stock. Enjoy Woody

Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
TVT_DESIGN

wow i just want to apologize for asking what the fins were tvt. that was all i wanted to know was what those things were. i didnt mean to start this....thing.

The fins divert air to two places. One is over the oil squirter/Vaccuum line, and the second is dead in the center of the throttle body butterfly. Both of which hinder airflow.

Mercedes did not create these engines for power, I promise you that. There are many things built into these systems for emissions, low end torque, and longevity. The same engine was in an SUV.

Quick Reply: Gutted Intake Elbow!!