Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Battery Replacement

Old 10-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Battery Replacement

I have these batteries on the list and I will add more if you let me know the details, if they fit with or without a spacer, CCA, etc.

Interstate Mega-Tron Plus #MTP-H6,

Interstate #MTP-91,

MotoMaster Eliminator #10-4800-8
(Canadian Tire, Canada)

Optima Red Top #34R,

Energizer #EH6

Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink Re: Battery Replacement

WEEKEND
Wet cells are about 2.2 volts per cell and go up just after charging to like 13.2 something. Temperature really plays with the open circuit potential. The state of the charge can not be determined by the voltage, you need to read the specific gravity of the cells, acid/water balance to see how its doing.

12.6 is typically nominal without load resting , 9+ during cranking or so.

Me I like to see one volt more with the car running than resting, to see the charging system is "onboard".

Walmart has neet voltage testers that plugin to the lighter and show the voltage and general ' condition '. Like $20 and well worth it to check your cars easily.

Woody
storing for a month, get a battery "tender" for trickle charge.
WEEKENDWEEKEND

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Well, Deb Walker and her preaching about how "batteries go bad with no warning" (which I know already - my company Dodge Durango left me stranded with no warning due to a battery) has been bugging me.

THEN Stargazer told me their car quit yesterday or the day before at a gas station - a battery got em going.... so:

Just dumped $96 for a new battery. Yea, I had the original Varta from July of 2004! Not a bit of trouble out of it, but I just didn't wanna go to the Dragon and get stranded in the middle of the fun with a problem EVERYONE has warned me about. (If anyone cares, I can get the model number - but O'Reilly's just looked it up in the computer, he told me the CCA and size rating - which matched what Onehunderd80 had said - so I just went with his cheapy battery.

Got an $88 "EverStart" at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They had another one (can't remember the name) for $140 but the guy said the only difference was the size. This "Everstart" is a bit shorter - had to employ the "heater hose" trick to get the clamp to hold it in place.

I noticed that the clock in the tach went stupid - had to set it. And the clock in the Infinity Nav/Radio display won't come up - but the damn thing remembered all my radio station presets!

Gotta get the book out and see what it'll take to get the Nav/Radio clock to display again. No big deal.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-29-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine died the other day, i bought one from walmart with a 3yr warranty for $75 and it has better cca as well.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

This one, ah hell, let me go get the receipt....

It's a "SuperStart" model 48-72 good for 700 CCA and 875 CA. $88 plus a LOT of tax (this IS Georgia!)

I really don't like cheapies and wanted one of the name brands, etc. But I waited to the last minute and just "FEEL" like I better do something. Too much talk about batteries failing, here AND at work. Running around with a battery that's been in that car for 5 years and 4 months seems like a risk - even with only 17,000 miles on the car.

I think I'm better off with a new cheapy than my old Varta!

I STILL didn't want to believe that was the original battery. But when the guy at the store saw it, he said, "Yea, that battery came with the car - I'd bet ya money." He then, just as I did, tried to find the date code. He couldn't find one on it, either.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

optoma batteries are the best batteries I've ever used. The gel power cells do a great job. I got one to pwoer my audio equipment which is two amplifiers and don't use a cap. Don't need one. And has plenty of cranking power.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

*** New lead-acid battery alert! ***

Just installed a trickle-charger for the winter, but first I always check the water in the batteries. My new battery, surprisingly, was noticeably low on water (plates not showing, but well below the water-puckering point). Took more than a pint of distilled water to fill-up all the cells.

Here's the thread on the trickle-chargers:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...eryminder.html

Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SamsClub. Energizer 48R Black. Recessed terminals. Positive terminal cover (red). 750ca/850cca/150 reserve minutes.

$62.95+tax No install charge. OEM fit.

It's black, but a great price.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Help please. I found just now my 2005 Crossfire Roadster would not start, after being driven only once, a week ago, after sitting for the previous 3 weeks due my being hospitalized. I have a friend come by and start it for me three weeks ago and drove it last Sat around the block and it was fine then. The light switch was off and all the doors closed so I was pretty shocked.

I am now dismayed by all this info. I can not change or even go to purchase a battery myself and live in a town of 9000. Would my AutoZone have something, but then they wouldn't install it would they? There is a Chrysler dealer here but I believe they discontinued their Sat. service hours when the economy took a dive. But I will likely call them first thing in the morning to see. We do have a Battery store where I purchased a battery for my Sebring.

Any advice would be more than welcomed. I thought I was actually going to throw myself on the hood of the car and sob! I have missed driving my baby so much recently. Or just maybe, someone up above is reminding me I am not to be driving (it was just to return a video) and in the morning it will start fine. One can only hope!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your AutoZone can test your battery to determine if it needs replacing. If it does, they will install it for you. Good luck, and don't let this stress you out. I hope your health is getting better.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Piece of cake! Other than Interstate (who's battery I wouldn't use if they gave it to me for free and came and installed it, cleaned the car, the garage, the house inside and out) you can get them other places. We bought one from Batteries Plus and it starts like a champ every time. All 2005's are due for a new battery and yes they die in a matter of minutes. We were actually testing the electrical system at the very moment (after having drove it the night before) it was biting the dust. Was almost comical, had the WTF looks on our faces. Lucky for us it was in the garage not on the side of the road or in some parking lot somewhere. After arranging a replacement via Firestone (they carry Interstate) and getting excellent service from them through out the "Interstate debacle" we bailed and went to Battery Plus. Other than the battery being black, not OEM white it's a perfect fit.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had grt luck with interstate...my company was a distributor though...I still get them at cost....anyway, I'm going to a little braille whenever mine finally dies...cut down on weight, and make room for another mod....but, so much depends on the right voltage on our cars, do keep a close check on those batterys...most only last 3-5 yrs...depending on use...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's some pics of my odessy. so far so good

P1030647.jpg?t=1264540571

the specs

P1030645.jpg?t=1264540703

Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Default Pep Boys carries Bosch

In its November 2009 issue, Consumer Reports gave Bosch batteries generally recommended ratings and even called it a best buy in one category.

Group 48 batteries like we use by Kirkland are not too readily found at any of the Costco's I went to and who do you ask at Costco for help when it's not on the shelf? The Kirkland's were also highly rated by ConsumerReports.

Alas, Google steered me to Pep Boys and they carried a Bosch battery that was identical in size and shape to the one I had in my base 2007 black Crossfire. The Bosch battery also has an 8 year warranty with a 36 month replacement and its CCA was 690, as opposed to 640 CCA in the original battery made in Spain. The price was $92 after trading in the old battery.

Furthermore, it was black, making it a much better match than the effete white battery that came with the car.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Default Re: Pep Boys carries Bosch

Originally Posted by Rennie Mihalovic
In its November 2009 issue, Consumer Reports gave Bosch batteries generally recommended ratings and even called it a best buy in one category.

Group 48 batteries like we use by Kirkland are not too readily found at any of the Costco's I went to and who do you ask at Costco for help when it's not on the shelf? The Kirkland's were also highly rated by ConsumerReports.

Alas, Google steered me to Pep Boys and they carried a Bosch battery that was identical in size and shape to the one I had in my base 2007 black Crossfire. The Bosch battery also has an 8 year warranty with a 36 month replacement and its CCA was 690, as opposed to 640 CCA in the original battery made in Spain. The price was $92 after trading in the old battery.

Furthermore, it was black, making it a much better match than the effete white battery that came with the car.
Do you have a number for the record?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM

[quote=green-ghost]here's some pics of my odessy. so far so good

P1030647.jpg?t=1264540571

If I was you I would try and cover that positive terminal, drop a wrench on it and you may be looking for a new battery. On the remote chance that a piece of metal flies up there on the road you could have a nice fire before you know it.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM

The Bosch battery from Pep Boys was Part No. 48-690B. It was in the size 48 series.

Is that what you mean by the number?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Just replaced my OEM Varta battery and was sad to let it go. It still had quite some juice but having it longer than 6 years (2004 Crossfire with 03 manufacturing date) was a bit scary so I replaced it before I'm left stranded or worse, the battery explodes. I researched and went with the Optima Redtop 34R (1000 ca). Got it from Advance Auto with a 15% discount for $158 inclusive of tax. Looking good so far but had to invent a way to tie down with a makeshift spacer. Does anyone know how to use the brackets that came with the battery?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Default Re: Altenator

I just replaced my battery because my "Battery Light" came on ...turns out my Altenator is bad. Has anyone replaced theirs yet? If so, wondering how long/difficult to R&R

Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Forum Regular

Just leaving for work so I am rushing BUT if I remember correctly their are 2 different types/styles of alternators. Do a search and their are instructions posted on the forum. Sorry for the quickie.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement