Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

stuck in park???

Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stuck in park???

i just got my crossfire a couple days ago, and the dealer said it had a problem being stuck in park sometimes but he had it fixed. ok, so i picked it up a couple days ago and everything was fine. but yesterday it started doing it again. i can stil drive it but i have to wiggle the stick back and forth for a little to get it into drive. its under warranty so im going to take it in on monday. but whats going on?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stuck in park????

Have them check for codes stored in the memory. The shifter will do this with electrical problems.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: stuck in park???

~ i would make use of the supplied tool for the time being until serviced.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

I bet its something to do with the brake pedal interlock solenoid. Best guess is someone spilled something in the console and got all over the solenoid causing it to stick sometimes.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigbengt67
I bet its something to do with the brake pedal interlock solenoid. Best guess is someone spilled something in the console and got all over the solenoid causing it to stick sometimes.

You think the dreaded Cup KIller, has struck again?

Very possible

Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 AM
Angry Re: stuck in park???

now its completely stuck in park and being towed to the shop tonight.
i must say im half tempted to give it back. i loved driving it but this isnt much of a good omen when ive only had the car for a couple days/

hopefully the guy makes good on his 30 day warranty and covers everything

Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM

I had the same problem with my 2004 Xfire (69000mi). I did something really radical: I read the owners manual which instructed me to insert a ballpoint pen in a little door located at the back/top of the shift console. It worked but I took it to the dealer who replaced the "shift assembly" (?). Cost was $520 + labor but it was covered by my very expensive primo extended warranty.

Phaedrus39

Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM

My 05 has done this on several occasions. When it won't shift, the indicator on the dash is just a solid black square instead of a P for park. Any one else have this same thing happen? Dealer can't find any codes and most of the time when I take the tool and "unlock" the shifter, the car will shift really hard for a few minutes and then clear up and the indicator goes back to normal.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM

i got her back a little while ago the problam was a bad sensor plate.

part-#019321 $268.71
labor-$200
clear codes-$65

i only had to pay half because of my warranty, but needless to say i wasnt happy about it.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM

My 2005 crossfire is doing the same thing only occasionally whats the problem then guys.. Dying battery, spilled drink, or brake pedal sensor, or the selenoid? please help

Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Best answer I've seen so far to TEMPORARILY get moving again.
2004 chrysler crossfire will not shift from park to revers - JustAnswer

Phaedrus39 mentioned above as well

Attached are some diagrams.

I hear this is a major issue with the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.
A recall on those was issued.

I think a recall is in order for the Crossfire as well, judging from the number hits I get when Googling the works Crossfire shift stuck park.

Tell your Chrysler rep if it happened to you. That's what I doing. My car is in the shop with this issue right now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Crossfire Shift Interlock.jpeg (171.5 KB, 267 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by drumfire87
now its completely stuck in park and being towed to the shop tonight.
i must say im half tempted to give it back. i loved driving it but this isnt much of a good omen when ive only had the car for a couple days/

hopefully the guy makes good on his 30 day warranty and covers everything
had my car couple days bought as is and doing same thing did the override and it will shift in drive when I do it but it only stays in low 1 someone please help

Old 03-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Connie1004
had my car couple days bought as is and doing same thing did the override and it will shift in drive when I do it but it only stays in low 1 someone please help
This thread started in 2009 and has only questions, go back to your initial post.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:29 AM

My crossfire is also stuck in park and will not start. Just had the rcm fixed and has a new battery. The shift indicator is showing a block instead of the P. Do I need a new shift assembly? Worked fine until the rcm was repaired. Turned key on while rcm was being fixed to move it out of garage. Wing went up and the shifter locked. Can be put in N by pressing the release through the trap door, but locks up again soon as it’s in park. Paid $2500.00 from a friend who said the car was not reliable. I read the forums and thought I could fix. If it’s the computer will just push outside by a barn and let it rot.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JustinX
My crossfire is also stuck in park and will not start. Just had the rcm fixed and has a new battery. The shift indicator is showing a block instead of the P. Do I need a new shift assembly? Worked fine until the rcm was repaired. Turned key on while rcm was being fixed to move it out of garage. Wing went up and the shifter locked. Can be put in N by pressing the release through the trap door, but locks up again soon as it’s in park. Paid $2500.00 from a friend who said the car was not reliable. I read the forums and thought I could fix. If it’s the computer will just push outside by a barn and let it rot.
You turned on a car while a major part was missing, I can see problems occurring after that.
Hook the car up to a code reader and see if any error codes have been set.
That’s a good place to start.
What year and how many miles on the car? They are quite reliable, you should have come here first as there are many who have solved problems for very little to no money that the dealers etc wanted a fortune to fix.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Need to read the codes but did the console get wet ? That block where the gear indicator displays means it is not communicating with the shifter module.

ps SLK320 "facelift" uses the same module.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Hooked up to code reader. No codes found. Disconnected both battery terminals an connected the negative and positive battery terminals together for 20 min to clear trans computer. That did not work. Still shows a block in the shift indicator instead of a P. Will email the guy who fixed the RCM if it was programmed to a manual car. (Service technician mentioned this)

Old 12-29-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JustinX
Hooked up to code reader. No codes found. Disconnected both battery terminals an connected the negative and positive battery terminals together for 20 min to clear trans computer. That did not work. Still shows a block in the shift indicator instead of a P. Will email the guy who fixed the RCM if it was programmed to a manual car. (Service technician mentioned this)
The RCM is not programmable and fits both auto and manual transmissions.
The service tech is wrong.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Ok, the crossfire is the limited model with 125k on it. I replaced the crank sensor with a Bosch brand. $29.00 on Amazon. Same part # was given by EBay. The original part is a Mercedes sensor. Besides turning the key on while rcm was out, that’s the only other thing I changed. Also changed oil and replaced cabin air filter. Both Mann. Cabin had never been changed. Installed alcantara headliner. 1st owner torn the original by trying to haul a Christmas tree. Do I need to remove shifter assembly and reinstall?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Can ga-run-tee that it the transmission is locked in Park and displays a block when the ignition is on and the engine starts, there is a code, probably a P0720 (assuming you have a NAG-1).

ps if you use a real Merc scanner, there will probably be a number of C102X codes stored.

Would also expect that if you use a rod to get out of park
- the shift into gear will be hard
- it will not shift out of 1st.

Last edited by Padgett; 12-29-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: stuck in park???