Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Ignition key won't turn

Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM
gig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition key won't turn

thanks guys so much for your help it works great now, hour and half job not that hard at all, thanks for the great step by step ,. just follow it step by step and it will work like a charm , i saved 750.00 dollars

Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Hey Ron,

Any idea why the key would turn after this but have not detents? As mentioned above, it turns after removing the "hidden pin" but only from Off to Start and back while not starting the car in the start position...

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by AirdrieXFire
Hey Ron,

Any idea why the key would turn after this but have not detents? As mentioned above, it turns after removing the "hidden pin" but only from Off to Start and back while not starting the car in the start position...

Thanks!
The tumblers are inside the lock cylinder. The cylinder should be OK unless you have played around with it.
Frankly I am a bit lost with your description.
Use the words in the PDF and we will understand better.
You say the key springs back to the OFF position from the start position, it normally springs back to the ON position from the start position.
I'm wondering if you have connected the interlock cable correctly. I am not sure if the detents are actually in the lock cylinder, they may be caused by the cable.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-13-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 PM

Hey Onehundred80,

Thanks for getting back again so soon! Here it is in .pdf terms:

K, I got to step 9 but the key would not turn. Tried drilling out the locking pin in "Key won't turn" and failed initially so I tried removing the key tumblers again even though the key would not turn. The black cylinder came off (no apparent damage) but the key still would not turn. Went through 11, 12 did not apply since it is a standard, 13 and the second 13 after getting a better drill bit and getting the locking pin out.

Then went down to "reusing old assembly", took out the entire assembly, opened the hatch and removed both the spring and the pin. Then reclosed the hatch and the key turned (but without any detents). Reinstalled old assembly (without black cylinder) and when I turn the key to start the car beeps but doesn't start. When I let go of the key it goes straight back to off, not on. Tried putting the black cylinder back on with no positive effect.

I have ordered a new tumbler and key but if there is something else I am missing since the key was never sticky before it failed, I would rather not fork out the $540 and towing it to a dealer to program the RFID.

Thoughts?

Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 AM

The steering wheel automatically locks when you turn the car off always leave the steering wheel in the center. with your left hand move wheel left turn key at the same time.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 PM

I had the same problem with my 2nd Crossa, so I think this link would so helpful
Good Luck for all

ALLI

http://up.sur-la-toile.com/iSSK

Old 08-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Hi, what is the solution to the problem?
My key will not turn On my 2004 Crossfire.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris242
Hi, what is the solution to the problem?
My key will not turn On my 2004 Crossfire.
Your post comes directly after a post which refers you to the solution. Ask nicely and with the delivery of a return ticket I'll come and do it for you..
It is better in the Bahamas.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:36 PM

Tell me the cost of the part and ticket and I will see what i can do! ��

Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having ignition sticky issue starting. Where can I find specific DIY explanation with photos?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum -most things you can find on a search but I know this comes up in too many posts so I will make it easy as you are new - it is under "sticky ignition" go here https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ru-2006-a.html and click where it says version 5 and print away!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 AM

i know this is a old post my girlfriend is now having this issue i am going to do the process today after work. could you'll please tell me what to do if i reuse the old part and remove the necessary parts but the key springs back as others have mentioned? i am just trying to ask in advance just so ill know what to do in case i come to this particular issue. once again thanks in advance!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I am not sure what you are asking: could you'll please tell me what to do if i reuse the old part and remove the necessary parts but the key springs back as others have mentioned?

What is this "key springs back" reference? I've done three of these, I don't know what you refer to.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AirdrieXFire
Hey Onehundred80,

Thanks for getting back again so soon! Here it is in .pdf terms:

K, I got to step 9 but the key would not turn. Tried drilling out the locking pin in "Key won't turn" and failed initially so I tried removing the key tumblers again even though the key would not turn. The black cylinder came off (no apparent damage) but the key still would not turn. Went through 11, 12 did not apply since it is a standard, 13 and the second 13 after getting a better drill bit and getting the locking pin out.

Then went down to "reusing old assembly", took out the entire assembly, opened the hatch and removed both the spring and the pin. Then reclosed the hatch and the key turned (but without any detents). Reinstalled old assembly (without black cylinder) and when I turn the key to start the car beeps but doesn't start. When I let go of the key it goes straight back to off, not on. Tried putting the black cylinder back on with no positive effect.

I have ordered a new tumbler and key but if there is something else I am missing since the key was never sticky before it failed, I would rather not fork out the $540 and towing it to a dealer to program the RFID.

Thoughts?

this is what i was referring to.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Im not sure what he did to cause that, but I WILL say: Follow the procedure in the PDF and you should be fine.

Again, I've done at least, well, four that I can count and never had any issue like his.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Hey Blaznlow,

I never was able to get that corrected and it was not something I did, the key was never sticky until one day it would not turn at all. I did try replacing the whole assembly after a very frustrating experience with trying to order the tumbler through Chrysler Canada.

In the end, I removed the whole damn thing, installed a push button start and keep one of the keys under the dash connected to the RFID ring. Not optimal since the car won't lock for 45 minutes after I turn it off since there is still a key inside but it is always parked where I can see it or in my garage anyway.

I think pizzaguy, that the issue blaznlow and I had are not the same as the 4 that you have corrected.

Thanks,

Kent

Old 06-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I really think you are right - yours does not sound like the typical "sticky key" that SO MANY of us have had.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Thanks, Pizzaguy.

I should add that the push button start kit that I bought has it's own RFID/Bluetooth/NFC technology so leaving it unlocked does not mean that anybody could drive away in it. They would need the new fob and know where I put the sensor...

It is actually kind of cool. Two factor authentication in my car (something I have AND something I know) or security through obscurity. In my Bimmer, all you need is the key and the car is compromised.

Honestly don't know whether it would be easier to hotwire the car now or before and I think that a dedicated thief would figure out either one in minutes but at least they don't have a predefined plan with mine.

Thanks,

Kent

Old 02-03-2018, 11:22 PM

Just finished the sticky key fix in a newer ignition. Took out the spring and pin behind the door. Since my key functioned normally I did not drill out the locking pin. Was I too drill out the locking pin also, there was no mention of this operation in a working ignition.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You only have to drill when it is locked up - you're good to go!

Quick Reply: Ignition key won't turn