Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Ignition key won't turn

Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition key won't turn

Yep, just like that, the key won't turn. Moving the steering wheel brake pedal or shift lever does not help....any ideas? And the spare key that worked before does not work either....help please????

Tom Vroom

Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Ignition key won't turn

Search.

This is a known issue.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM

So what's your guess on the fix?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a a known problem, if you enter it in the search you should find a lot on it.

If you car is out of warranty and they have to replace your whole lock cylinder it can be about a grand worth of work.

I think that's what some paid anyway.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Tom Vroom, I am known for being the most helpful and friendliest member on the site.

Here is what you are looking for sir:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=key+stuck

Pay particular attention to posts 11 and 14:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...3&postcount=11

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...6&postcount=14

also, here is another thread about the subject:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...069#post355069

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you sir.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Hello Tom Vroom, I am known for being the most helpful and friendliest member on the site.

Here is what you are looking for sir:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=key+stuck

Pay particular attention to posts 11 and 14:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...3&postcount=11

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...6&postcount=14

also, here is another thread about the subject:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...069#post355069

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you sir.

LOL-

You've always had my vote.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, I thought it would be funny to confuse a few people and be helpful this time (of course I had to be sneaky and throw in a little something at the end though!)

Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Lol, I thought it would be funny to confuse a few people and be helpful this time (of course I had to be sneaky and throw in a little something at the end though!)
I wish I had read this last post-before I lost my breakfast!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Old 07-11-2009, 07:52 AM

I purchased my new 08 Crossfire in Feb with 34 miles and the car has mainly been in the garage with just 200 miles on it. Well had my first igintion switch problem this morning. Went to pull the car back in the garage and I could not get the key to turn in the ignition. Tried removing and reinstalling, putting my foot on the brake etc and finally the key turned over and I was able to start the car and return it to the garage. I am afraid I am going to get stuck somewhere in a parking lot.

Should I be concerned about this?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by IMPERIAL4EVER
I purchased my new 08 Crossfire in Feb with 34 miles and the car has mainly been in the garage with just 200 miles on it. Well had my first igintion switch problem this morning. Went to pull the car back in the garage and I could not get the key to turn in the ignition. Tried removing and reinstalling, putting my foot on the brake etc and finally the key turned over and I was able to start the car and return it to the garage. I am afraid I am going to get stuck somewhere in a parking lot.

Should I be concerned about this?
Sometimes its tight until you turn the steering wheel a little to take the pressure of the lock. This can occur if the steering wheel is not on center and the car rolls a little when the key is taken out.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:20 PM

Are you saying that the issue with the ignition key not turning once it is inserted is just a small random issue and not a wide-spread defect? I did not see any TSB on the problem. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Hi,
Just my 2 cents worth...all I ever have to do is move the steering wheel a little bit and the key frees up and works fine. If I didn't wiggle the steering wheel a little though, the key will not move in the ignition switch at all.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by IMPERIAL4EVER
Are you saying that the issue with the ignition key not turning once it is inserted is just a small random issue and not a wide-spread defect? I did not see any TSB on the problem. Thanks!
It is a random issue with many cars, but the lock does cause trouble on some Xfires but I would have thought rarely on a low mileage car like yours.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You fell and hit your head didn't you...this happens from time to time...and time will tell if you will return to normal...now, maybe your key switch is like my wife, put it in, jiggle it a little bit, and see if it responds...there, someone had to fill in while you were out of it...

Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Quick, someone PM mrphotoman and tell him that someone knows his logon and password information!

Obviously an impostor!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Forum Regular

Someone was saying here that it's a grand to fix, not if you do it yourself. This happened to my limited. All together parts were like in the area of about 300 if I remember correctly. The hardest part of this whole exercise (besides the cramped quarters) is drilling that hardened steel pin. I elected no to do that. If you notice the hole in the female sleeve (black) that the whole ignition lock assembly fits inside, I used a dremel to cut a path from that hole to the end of the female sleeve. Then I just pulled out the whole assembly. The actual ignition switch comes as part of the ignition lock, and then you just have to buy the tumbler. I found that the ignition lock assembly was cheaper at MB dealer than from Chrylser, which is a crock because CHrysler just turns around and buys it from Daimler then marks the hell up out of it. MB dealers can no longer give you VIN specific parts though ie (ECM, Keys, Tumblers, etc) so you will have to go through Chrysler for that. Once again is a crock, because they buy it from Daimler...

If this isn't clear enough for you PM me your contact info and I'll try to walk you through it over the phone.

Justin

Old 07-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses. I have been reassured. I feel this may be an isolated issue. I keep running back into the garage to see if I can repeat the problem. No such luck. With just 200 miles I really do not want the Chrysler tech to be pulling and pushing on things to correct them. I am trying to keep this car as a collector example and only driven on fair days. The car has never seen any rain or foul weather. You can still see the factory chalk marks underneath on the chassis.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

I almost had a local dealership install a new ignition switch. they wanted 380 just for the part. same with the steering wheel lock, 380 for the part. Check out moparpartsamerica. Definately cheaper than chrysler, and the local mb dealership wouldn't order anything for me, because it was for a chrysler vin#.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 PM

My 2005 6 spd has come close to locking up and tonight (natch it is a holiday weekend) it is locked up...have tried moving steering wheel, tapping on key, etc etc...even went to weird JUST ANSWER dot com...but now am faced with having the car towed I guess...Less than 12k miles on it. Discouraging to have a great car that is locked up. I am glad through this to have found and signed in here at crossfireforum.org (only good news in this). I am still under warranty--but still nervous about the whole deal and unable to DRIVE.

Quick Reply: Ignition key won't turn