Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Ignition key won't turn

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition key won't turn

good post, thanks for the info

Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM

Pizzaguy:
Thanks for the PDF post as to location of key fix. SHould this not be a " STICKY" post ( permanent).

Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by dtinker
Pizzaguy:
Thanks for the PDF post as to location of key fix. SHould this not be a " STICKY" post ( permanent).
The direct route to the .pdf file.
CrossfireForum.org

Rekah's PDF is basically buried in the sticky and should be up front and center. Hey mods?

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 AM

SUCCESS!!!

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible. The key would not turn, an intermittent problem too, and I got stuck for a couple of times waiting for AAA. When they showed, it turned.

My friend followed the PDF and it worked perfectly. THANK YOU SO MUCH to who ever took the time to write out that terrific step by step!!!!

The job took about a hour. He's good with cars, but is a self-described "amateur".

My Chrysler dealer wanted to charge me $500-$1000 to do the job, replacing the whole tumbler, etc. They told me it would take a LONG time to get parts from Germany, to be shipped to Texas, to be shipped to Pennsylvania. On top of that, the rep. was VERY rude, did NOT want to hear about this being a known issue from the get go. If you want a grand from me, you at LEAST have to be pleasant!!!!

I had another issue, got the same story about how much it would cost, etc and that they did not know what the cause was. Turns out it was incredibly simple, and did not need ANYTHING done.

Sadly, I can no longer trust my dealer. We spent over $80,000 there in cars alone, not to mention service. Previous to having the Crossfire (purchased from them), they were knowledgeable, and helpful. I never felt ripped off before, but things change. I can't see how a company can stay in business treating their customers this way. They may make a few bucks in the short term but 1. I will never buy another vehicle from them. 2. I will find a reputable shop that will NOT give me a run around! They lose.

Again THANKS to the author of the PDF and to my friend who REALLY saved me from an unnecessary and high expense!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Fortunately when this happened to my Crossfire (on Thanksgiving weekend of course), my car was under warranty and Chrysler towed it put in new tumbler etc. at their expense.

Re: dealers...got a call from our local dealer about selling my Crossfire; he stated the value drops daily. Very NOT true. I am not a fan of dealers.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 PM

I have the stuck key problem and used the great instructions from the forum. I drilled the locking pin, got the steering lock assembly out, opened the hatch, launched the spring, and got the other pin out. The problem is my key still does not turn and I cannot get the key tumblers out. The lock seems to be what is called the number 1 position and the key can be removed. Any thoughts on what is wrong or is it time to go see the locksmith? Attached are a couple pictures.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (33).JPG (310.6 KB, 37 views)
photo (34).JPG (307.2 KB, 30 views)
photo (35).JPG (319.0 KB, 30 views)
photo (36).JPG (315.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Sunburn,

I THINK you skipped a step. You take the lock/tumblers out of the assembley BEFORE you removed the entire assembly. Your pictures show the tumblers still in the assembly - this is NOT following the original procedure. You do not put the tumblers back in until directed to do so by the procedure.

I believe that if you take the tumbler assembly out, you remove the 'pressure' on the redundant lock.

Follow the instructions to remove the tumbler assembly. Then, do what I did: I lightly coated the tumblers with 10 weight oil and also dropped about one drop of oil in the cavity you took the spring and latch out of.

Then follow the procedure to re-installed the modded assembly IN THE EXACT ORDER DESCRIBED.

You do not test the repair until it is all back together.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

OOPS.

I think the instructions are wrong - it sent you back to step 11 after drilling the pin.
I BELIEVE THIS IS WRONG - you go back to step 10.

I did not need to drill the pin so I could be all wet here - but I still think I am right: the instructions sent you back to the wrong step, I am 99% sure of it.

If you want to let it sit, you can wait for someone to chime in who had to drill. I just really, really, believe that the procedure was in error there.

Try going back to step 10 and (I know it'll take three hands) try to get the key/tumblers out. I'll bet that it will free up then - then just put it all back in (But dont put hte electrical connector on or put the dash back together) and put the tumblers back in WHEN THE PROCEDURE says to.

Then, try it and see if it is freed up.

I STILL think the procedure has an error in it, but maybe someone who had to drill will chime in and set us both right.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Pizzaguy,

Thanks for the help. I could not get the key tumblers out while the assembly was in the car, so I just went ahead and removed it. Thought with it out, I may have better luck getting the tumblers out. Another day of frustration, but tomorrow is another day.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM

Did anyone have trouble starting the car after following the instructions to fix the ignition?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by jduda2
Did anyone have trouble starting the car after following the instructions to fix the ignition?
Only if they pulled the plug of the halo around the ignition switch from the SKREEM module.
Then the car will start three times and shut off. disconnecting the battery for a few seconds will start the whole three start cycle all over again.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 PM

wow just got my crossfire today.... and ignition is stuck...car is at home.... what a pain in the ***.... dont tell me I have to fork out money already to replace the ignition? car has 43000 miles on it...hasnt been outside my house longer then 3 hours lol

Old 07-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Khaos969
wow just got my crossfire today.... and ignition is stuck...car is at home.... what a pain in the ***.... dont tell me I have to fork out money already to replace the ignition? car has 43000 miles on it...hasnt been outside my house longer then 3 hours lol
No money to be spent on this fix. Follow the post here (click) and you can fix it in an hour.
You do not want a new - expensive - part installed. If the new part is not the latest part you may still have problems with it later.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No money to be spent on this fix. Follow the post here (click) and you can fix it in an hour.
You do not want a new - expensive - part installed. If the new part is not the latest part you may still have problems with it later.

Thank you for your quick response and help , guess ill get started!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 PM

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the assistance here already! I have been a long time reader but this is my first post. You guys helped me with a couple of other big issues with the buggy, for sure.

I have this issue but the extra fun of the key not turning at all. Followed your tutorials and just tonight, got the whole mechanism out (tumbler included since I can't turn to position one. I have not yet taken the centre punch to the cover to remove the spring but will try that tomorrow.

My bigger questions are:

1. Since I can't trun the key, will removing the spring help me or do I still need a new tumbler?
2. What is the part number of the tumbler since Chrysler Canada doesn't seem to call it that. I looked at moparpartsamerica.com and they have an "Ignition Lock Cylinder" and an "Ignition Switch". They don't have pictures or diagrams (go ahead, fully expecting the jokes on this one...) and for the price, I am happy to replace either or both compared to Chysler/MB but do I need to? Am I better off with manufacturer parts? Hard to fathom since the car doesn't have 30K on it...
3. If the tumbler is MB only, how does that affect my RF ring? I just take it to the dealer and get it reprogrammed? As in the car that won't run for more than 2 minutes or just the key? 'Cause the dealer is about 10 minutes away.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I sure miss my XFire!

Thanks,

Kent

Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirdrieXFire
Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the assistance here already! I have been a long time reader but this is my first post. You guys helped me with a couple of other big issues with the buggy, for sure.

I have this issue but the extra fun of the key not turning at all. Followed your tutorials and just tonight, got the whole mechanism out (tumbler included since I can't turn to position one. I have not yet taken the centre punch to the cover to remove the spring but will try that tomorrow.

My bigger questions are:

1. Since I can't trun the key, will removing the spring help me or do I still need a new tumbler?
2. What is the part number of the tumbler since Chrysler Canada doesn't seem to call it that. I looked at moparpartsamerica.com and they have an "Ignition Lock Cylinder" and an "Ignition Switch". They don't have pictures or diagrams (go ahead, fully expecting the jokes on this one...) and for the price, I am happy to replace either or both compared to Chysler/MB but do I need to? Am I better off with manufacturer parts? Hard to fathom since the car doesn't have 30K on it...
3. If the tumbler is MB only, how does that affect my RF ring? I just take it to the dealer and get it reprogrammed? As in the car that won't run for more than 2 minutes or just the key? 'Cause the dealer is about 10 minutes away.

Thanks,

Kent
1. Removing the spring and pin should free up the tumbler allowing you to turn the key.

2. I dont know the part numbers for the tumble, but it should not need to be replaced. Replacing the tumblers alone will do nothing for you in this case.

The reason for removing the tumbler was to allow you to remove the whole assembly without having to drill down the pin holding the assembly in place.

3. Not sure how to answer this. RF ring senses singal from the key FOB.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by AirdrieXFire
Hey Folks,

My bigger questions are:

Thanks,

Kent
Do you have the tumbler separated from the assembly?
The key normally does not turn because of the pin problem.
If you have the tumbler out all should be OK.
Forget the dealer and forget reprogramming.
Take the pin out.
Did you have to grind the hidden pin?
You are short on facts and people can only guess what stage you are at.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 PM

Cool, Thanks Rekcah and onhundred80.

Rekcah, I could not remove the tumbler and had to drill out the pin. Since I got it out, I did not remove the tumber at all.

onehundred80, sorry for the poor description of where I was at in the process.

Last night, I completed drilling out the big pin holding the entire mechanism on the steering column and was able to remove it from the car. That is where I stopped until after work today.

Today, I accessed the hidden spring and pin and removed them. The key will turn again but it does not have any detent positions that you would expect, like Off, On and Start. It is either in the off position or you can turn it to start and then it just pops back to off.

Since after getting the hidden pin out and seeing the key turn I was too excited to notice the lack of the On position and installed it back in the dash anyway. It does not start but instead just beeps like a fast busy when I hold it in the start position.

I will take it up again tomorrow but I hope this gives you a better idea of where I was yesterday and now today. Still stuck with the van or the motorbike for the commute tomorrow...

Thanks again!

Kent

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM
gig

ok trying to do the key fix my key will turn but sticking so doing the fix now, ok have key ignition out , not too bad of a job yet im not sure where to go next i took the plate off and took the spring out and some other thing fell out too lol, do i also get rid off the locking pin that holds it in the cylinder, the one that you have to drill if its locks up or do i leave that alone

Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have the spring and pin out you can put the ignition back in. Leave the other pin alone.

Quick Reply: Ignition key won't turn