Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Thoughts on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times..

Old 07-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times..

Well, i was thinking about this at work today.. and i read a article in sports car magazine about the crossfire that sparked my imagination, the article said the car felt fast, but the gearing was a bit too tall. Taking that into consideration, the size of drive wheels has a big part to do with your transmission gear ratios, and the fact that you can't spin the huge 19s out back(which is how the crossfire pulls off such impressive skid pad numbers).. now my solution, i believe running -1 or -2 sized wheels/tires would greatly help in 0-60 sprints and 1/4 mile times.. my reasoning is the smaller diameter of 17s or 18s would shorten the gear ratios, give the crossfire the ability to spin its tire to get a better launch, as that seems to be the key to getting good 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times.. of course track testing would only validate my theory as the butt dyno might not feel a big difference(and the speedo being off).. so here's what my proposal, someone pick up two rear wheels off a slk off ebay(seen a bunch of em just search for mercedes wheels), throw the same michelin pilot sports in the same width as the stock tires but different aspect ratio(run 35s on 18s and 40s on 17s)...

goto the track and do a couple runs with the stock setup and the swap wheels to the slk wheels in the back and then take a couple more runs, if you can get off some consitent runs you should see some better times..

my thoughts might not be organized right now, so let me know if you need any clarifications..

Old 07-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Krooner I think your breathing too much VW exhaust! The tall first gear in the crossfire helps it's 0to60 times.Putting smaller tires on will hurt your 0to60 but might help your top speed.Yeah I'm gonna play around with $700 wheels and $400 tires just on a whim.When your spinning your tires your not going anywhere why would I want that????

Old 07-30-2003, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by crossfiretech
Krooner I think your breathing too much VW exhaust! The tall first gear in the crossfire helps it's 0to60 times.Putting smaller tires on will hurt your 0to60 but might help your top speed.Yeah I'm gonna play around with $700 wheels and $400 tires just on a whim.When your spinning your tires your not going anywhere why would I want that????
Unless your running wrinkle wall drag slicks, tire spin is essential to getting a good launch, too much tire spin and you've scrubbed off too much speed, the idea is to get the right amount of tire spin so when they grip they grip right before the power range so you can get the full hp to the ground instead of going from 0-4000rpms(or whenever peak hp is) and wasting all the time(why do you think pro drag racers have the car bouncing off the dual stage rev-limiter before the car goes off the line).. this is the basics of drag racing...

later..

Old 07-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Forum Regular

Krooner you make no sense! You launch the car at its rev limmiter or just below andwant Fulltraction atlaunch no tire spin.Why do people put on big sticky drag slicks so they can spin the tires at launch?Drag slicks are made for full traction (No spinning).You spin the tires in the water pit first to heat them up then at the line you want no spin.Your starting to scare me with your lack of common knowledge.Please waste some other forums time with your witty banter.

Old 07-30-2003, 08:14 AM

deleted..

Old 07-30-2003, 08:18 AM
Forum Regular

krooner:

If you have something positive to comtribute, please do. Otherwise maybe let us Crossfire fans chat in a positive and constructive manner without a verbal banter from you.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by texex91
krooner:

If you have something positive to comtribute, please do. Otherwise maybe let us Crossfire fans chat in a positive and constructive manner without a verbal banter from you.

Thanks
look, I'm sure all crossfire fans want the best possible performance from their cars, as do most enthuisats.. I'm just contributing info to improve your 0-60 and 1/4 mile time without pulling the tranny and replacing your final drive gear with a shorter one, as that would probably be alot more expensive then simply running smaller tires, which would give the same effect(diameter of the wheels is factor in gear ratios), I simply read in a magazine the gearing was a bit tall, which happens to be one of things, I have been researching for a while as the gearing in my car is a bit too tall.. granted my car is fwd and the crossfire is rwd, i know enough that for a good launch alittle bit of the right tire spin is nessary on street tires(just pick up any car magazine that has a review on a s2000 and read about how high they had to drop the clutch to get the tires to spin to get the best possbile times).. deleted my other post, because i didn't find it to constructive, on this subject..

Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Forum Regular

Krooner what is your background in automotive technology or drag racing??Reading a magazine once?I have 20 years experience and work for a chrysler dealer.I hope the people on this forum would trust and respect my info and opinions.There backed with years of experience.We like the Crossfire for its styling,german quality and good handiling and performance.If all we cared about was 0to60 and 1/4 mile we would buy the neon srt go faster and save 15 grand.I dont think anybody is buying a Crossfire for drag racing.You must be a young punk and thats all you think about.Let me guess the vw has big wheels a big fart pipe muffler and its lowered so it bounces all over the road. Later Rich

Old 07-30-2003, 09:41 AM

Krooner what is your background in automotive technology or drag racing??Reading a magazine once?I have 20 years experience and work for a chrysler dealer.I hope the people on this forum would trust and respect my info and opinions.There backed with years of experience.We like the Crossfire for its styling,german quality and good handiling and performance.If all we cared about was 0to60 and 1/4 mile we would buy the neon srt go faster and save 15 grand.I dont think anybody is buying a Crossfire for drag racing.You must be a young punk and thats all you think about.Let me guess the vw has big wheels a big fart pipe muffler and its lowered so it bounces all over the road. Later Rich
Grow up man, 20 years of experince and work in a chrsyler dealership has nothing to do with ticking off good 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.. if you don't care about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't reply to my post, simple as that, instead you have to ruin a perfectly good post, now stop wasting my time..

later..

Old 07-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular

Plain and simple you know nothing and your an IDIOT! I guess you have no respect for people with knowledge and experiance.It just proves your stupidity.Another young punk kid who thinks he knows everything.Once again what is your drag racing and auto technology background???

Old 07-30-2003, 01:57 PM

Plain and simple you know nothing and your an IDIOT! I guess you have no respect for people with knowledge and experiance.It just proves your stupidity.Another young punk kid who thinks he knows everything.Once again what is your drag racing and auto technology background???
Until, you can respect me and my ideas, you will get no respect from me..

Come out to englishtown one day, and I'll show you what I'm talking about.. it's alot easier to say you have experience then actually have it, you don't know me and i don't know you, judging by your posts you seem like a very immature individual that cannot take criticism, look at the crap you just posted, have you actually read what you posted.. I'll put it at the top of the post so you can read it again..

later..

Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 PM
imported_mightyjlr

I have no choice but to lock this thread. One of the most important rules of this forum is to show respect for each other, and since there has been name calling, that obviously isn't going on. Please EVERYONE be more civil from now on.

I have also asked krooner to just stick to the forums where he is moderator, and if he has anything to say elsewhere to run it by me first. I sincerely believe he wasn't trying to offend anyone by this post in the first place, and he was actually trying to help, but somehow the point of his post must have gotten misconstrued. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.