Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Blower motor resistor

Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Blower motor resistor

Originally Posted by syfi
I finally got around to installing both of them about 2 weeks ago and both are working flawlessly.
Would blow full blast until you wiggled the switch and would then settle down to the correct speed.
OK I got the new Blower motor resistor and installed it today.
Took less than an hour but unfortunately it didn't correct my problem with the variable fan speeds.
The fan speed still fluctuates up and down as you turn the fan speed **** from low to high and high to low.
It doesn't seem that the fan speed goes as high as it used to either.
I'm wondering now if it is the fan speed switch itself on the dash
I'm leaving the new part installed anyway but need to investigate further

Any other suggestions are welcome

Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK
The fan speed still fluctuates up and down as you turn the fan speed **** from low to high and high to low.
It doesn't seem that the fan speed goes as high as it used to either.
Any other suggestions are welcome
Sorry to hear that it didn't do the job Gary. Did you just unplug the old one and use the old connectors? I remember reading a thread where they commented that the connectors on the motor coming from the resistor were corroded and/or oily, and that cleaning the contact points on the motor and using the new wires fixed the problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, I have had the same issue since I bought my Crossfire. I ignored it for a while, tried a resistor a few months back with no luck. I just got a used replacement control unit (Thanks to RED DOG) but haven't had time to install it yet. Hopefully I can find some time to get to it this weekend. I'll post my findings once its in.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
Sorry to hear that it didn't do the job Gary. Did you just unplug the old one and use the old connectors? I remember reading a thread where they commented that the connectors on the motor coming from the resistor were corroded and/or oily, and that cleaning the contact points on the motor and using the new wires fixed the problem.
I did use the new wires provided and made certain all connections were clean and tight
It just didn't do the trick

Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thornh
Gary, I have had the same issue since I bought my Crossfire. I ignored it for a while, tried a resistor a few months back with no luck. I just got a used replacement control unit (Thanks to RED DOG) but haven't had time to install it yet. Hopefully I can find some time to get to it this weekend. I'll post my findings once its in.
I'll keep following this thread
What is the replacement control unit and where is it

Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Gary, it is the thing above the radio with the 2 heat control spin wheels and the 2 ***** for fan control and air direction.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a nice write-up on testing the A/C blower/resistor/controller loop!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-resistor.html

Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Great post, saved me $700 at dealer, thanks guys. The only issue I have is, my controls for the fan speed seem to not work properly. When I turn the **** I have to turn it slow or the fan switches to high or a higher level, anyone else having the same problem. But this thread help me fix the blower blowing constantly.

2004 Xfire
Tuscaloosa, AL

Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am following as well since I have the same issue. Fan only blows on high or low....and it decides which. I have no say in the matter

Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Forum Regular

OK guys, I got the new AC control unit in the dash early this morning, and it seems to have fixed the blower speed issue. I now have control of the fan speed. That being said, I did not have time to put it through its paces, only a quick test. I will keep an eye on it and report back later in the week.

Also, I don't know if this has had any effect on the clicking noise from around the glove box that I have read here on the forum is also AC related.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK guys, I got the new AC control unit in the dash early this morning, and it seems to have fixed the blower speed issue. I now have control of the fan speed. That being said, I did not have time to put it through its paces, only a quick test. I will keep an eye on it and report back later in the week.

Also, I don't know if this has had any effect on the clicking noise from around the glove box that I have read here on the forum is also AC related.
Thornh: My fan blower ...when turned on (at times) starts off slow and then proceed tol elevate the speed to the particular setting...please let me know your "tests" findings...Thanks...Carl

Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 PM

OK guys, I got the new AC control unit in the dash early this morning, and it seems to have fixed the blower speed issue.
I now have control of the fan speed.
How difficult is it to change the AC control unit ??
Any pics or advice on how this is done

Gary

Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALK

Gary
its not that difficult to replace, the instructions in the service manual are good, except for finding the 2 screws behind the stereo, I had to remove the DIN sleeve for my aftermarket radio to find them.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carl graham
Thornh: My fan blower ...when turned on (at times) starts off slow and then proceed tol elevate the speed to the particular setting...please let me know your "tests" findings...Thanks...Carl
After 2 weeks I have had no issues with the AC system, fan speeds are adjusting correctly with the control, and I have heard no more clicking from under the glove box. I believe the control unit has cured my heater/AC issues.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
Here are some pics of the removal as far as getting the trim off. The rest should be easy.

Remove the two hidden screws.

Pry out the trim plate

The unit is exposed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2018 (800x600).jpg (272.3 KB, 853 views)
DSCN2019 (800x600).jpg (238.2 KB, 841 views)
DSCN2020 (800x600).jpg (223.6 KB, 844 views)
DSCN2022 (800x600).jpg (224.3 KB, 844 views)
DSCN2025 (800x600).jpg (271.9 KB, 854 views)
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the pics Dave

Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 PM

I wish to thank everyone who takes the time to help on the forum and specifically Volk for his utube video. After letting the car sit for 6 weeks, I tried to start it and the battery was dead. I charged it and drive the car but the fan would not come on. After 10min of driving the fan came on but I could not adjust its speed and when I finally turned off the car the fan was still on! I had to pull fuse 37. After searching this forum I surmised the blower resistor was bad. I ordered one from ebay for less than $30 delivered and it took less than 1/2 an hour to fix my issue. Without the help of these forum I would of had to spend many hundreds of dollars at the dealer. Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 2 weeks I have had no issues with the AC system, fan speeds are adjusting correctly with the control, and I have heard no more clicking from under the glove box. I believe the control unit has cured my heater/AC issues.
Thornh: Did you replace the blower regulator? if so was it difficult? any tactical points?...Thanks Carl

Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Pictures showing trim removal.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blower for the HVAC system ran fast or slow without me changing the settings on the control **** since the day I test drove my Crossfire. I found the possible solution here on the forum; blower motor resistor. So I bought one with the intent on putting it in as soon as the original quit working all together. Yesterday I pulled the blower unit out to clean the leaves and crap so I thought I'd put in the new resistor ( actually I bought it in 2011, tucked away till I got around to it). When I turned on the AC today the fan would only blow on low speed no matter what setting I turned the **** to. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Quick Reply: Blower motor resistor