Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

RCM or CPS? Need opinions!

Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation RCM or CPS? Need opinions!

Hello! Would you be so kind as to suggest where I should start looking now?
First, 2-3 years ago my 2004 NA coupe (now at 88k miles) started intermittently stalling while driving/failing to start/combination of both. After doing the research, I had the CPS replaced and that seemed to have fixed the issue.
Last summer, I started having issue with the car failing to start again (turn the key – all dash lights come on, then the fan kicks in but engine won’t start, can’t tell if cranks or not – I believe it’s just silent when I turn the key). I had the battery replaced a month before that so that was ruled out. My local shop cleaned the battery terminals (had some corrosion built up already) and the problem went away until now.
Finally, a week ago the XF failed to start with above mentioned symptoms on several occasions again. Took it to Chrysler dealer (just to make sure) and they could not find anything and, according to them, there were no error codes found. I also had them look at the RCM and they, obviously, they did not find anything wrong. Surprisingly, they did not charge me lol So a few days ago I had my shop clean the terminals again (had very minor corrosion) and had no problems starting the car for a few days until today when the XF stalled at a traffic light and, again, would not start for approximately 10 minutes.
P.S. Every once in a while a check engine light comes on with a P0410 code and goes away after a day or two.
Would you suggest I change out my RCM? Could it cause the car to stall? Or look into CPS again (not sure what brand CPS was put in last time but I believe the shop that installed it got it from benz dealer)?
Thank you very much!
Nik

Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: RCM or CPS? Need opinions!

Have the RCM completely resoldered - take it out of the car, and to a radio shop (look on Radio Communications Systems in the yellow pages). Tell them you want ALL JOINTS on the board re-flowed. The tech will probably be able to tell you if any are bad, but HAVE THEM ALL REFLOWED ANYWAY. This should take ten minutes - charge should be $20 to $65.

Check the CPS, was it replaced with a BOSCH part or not? Non-Bosch CPS's have caused troubles like this OFTEN.

It COULD be low fuel pressure, a bad CAMSHAFT position Sensor, a screwy battery or a billiion other things, but they are all less likely.

The P0410 code: I'm not experienced with that one - wait for someone else to chime in or do a search here on the forum. Search "Secondary Air Injection" not P0410 and see what you find!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Administrator

One more thing, does the engine turn ("crank") over or not?
This knowledge is an essential part of troubleshooting this. In my above response, I assume it is cranking but not starting.

Generally = A "No Crank" is easier to troubleshoot than a "crank but no start".

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM

Thank you for the info! Here is a pic of what my RCM solder joints look like. I will probably get a new one and see if DJ can re-solder this one to keep as a spare.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Administrator

BINGO! That is about the best example of a broken solder joint I have ever seen!
Go have that re-soldered and I'd BET you are good to go - I'd not replace it.

This is SUCH a common issue...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nick78ru
. Took it to Chrysler dealer (just to make sure) and they could not find anything and, according to them, there were no error codes found. I also had them look at the RCM and they, obviously, they did not find anything wrong.
Nik
Did they just raise the hood and make sure you had one?
Your money to burn.. But as Pizzaguy stated.. get it re soldered up.. Even RC Hobby shops could fix you up for a song and dance..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Well, at least they didn't charge me lol Hopefully that's the issue... No fun getting stranded

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, at least they didn't charge me lol Hopefully that's the issue... No fun getting stranded
You can throw "hopefully" out the window.. that is 99.9% your problem.. not saying couldn't have any other issue.. but that is one definitely.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Don't depend on DJ ( tighed1 ) - he seems to be out of pocket for the last 6 months or so.
Not a peep out of him.
I've sent him a couple of IM's - no answer.
If you can't find someone local to do it for you, I can do it.

Same deal as DJ ( minus the beer money - I don't drink )
Just pay shipping both ways .......
IM me if it comes to that.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Don't depend on DJ ( tighed1 ) - he seems to be out of pocket for the last 6 months or so.
Not a peep out of him.
I've sent him a couple of IM's - no answer.
If you can't find someone local to do it for you, I can do it.
I noticed that he wasn't on for a few months but i talked to him today about fixing it via email.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Finally, a week ago the XF failed to start with above mentioned symptoms on several occasions again. Took it to Chrysler dealer (just to make sure) and they could not find anything and, according to them, there were no error codes found. I also had them look at the RCM and they, obviously, they did not find anything wrong.
Nik
The picture you provided PROVES all too well just how worthless the dealership is.

You know, in MY industry, manufacturers do rather well at letting dealers know of common problems and their fixes. It was that way when I worked for shops that dealt with Motorola and it's that way at Kenwood - where I work now.

Of course, problem is, the car is not a Chrysler product and it's common problems are common to other Mercedes products - NOT Chrysler. So, any chain of information is broken.

My point is, well OUR point is: Don't waste time with the dealerships.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Don't waste time with the dealerships.
Yep I generally stay away from them but this issue is just driving me insane and made me paranoid about driving my own car lol