Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car starts twice, dies twice. Skreem module again?

Old 11-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car starts twice, dies twice. Skreem module again?

Originally Posted by 04crossblack
My situation is similar but different.. my car started with no problems, but key FOB was coming apart so I bought a new one on ebay and switched over parts. FOB locks and unlocks I can see a little light flicker when i hit the buttons, but when tried to start car it ran and died 2 times then no turnover everything comes on like a valet key but car won't start. what did i mess up when I switched FOB's? Please direct me in the right direction.
Hm I've heard of this happening before. Do you have a spare key by chance? I would d/c the battery for >5min. Reconnect. Lock/unlock with spare key and try to start with spare key. (Or do the same thing with your newly swapped key if you have no spare key). Let us know what happens

Old 11-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My situation is similar but different.. my car started with no problems, but key FOB was coming apart so I bought a new one on ebay and switched over parts. FOB locks and unlocks I can see a little light flicker when i hit the buttons, but when tried to start car it ran and died 2 times then no turnover everything comes on like a valet key but car won't start. what did i mess up when I switched FOB's? Please direct me in the right direction.

This is from the Crossfire manual.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

The Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools.
PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:
Insert the key into the ignition switch.
Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

You forgot to switch the little black transponder chip at the front of the old fob to the new fob, it is what tells the car that the car is not being stolen or at least that it is the correct key.
Look in this PDF and see the chip in the photos.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-15-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill F
This is from the Crossfire manual.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

The Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools.
PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:
Insert the key into the ignition switch.
Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.
That programming is to open the doors, it has nothing to do with starting the car.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That programming is to open the doors, it has nothing to do with starting the car.
Yep, you are correct!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, so just happened upon the SKREEM threads and luckily upon the 'remove fuse #9 remedy" to keep me from having to tow it home (although not sure how I would have even gotten a tow out of the parking garage I was parked in at the time... anyway)... CF is home in my garage now without Fuse #9 in place.

Question is... if I am not concerned with my alarm system (had the siren turned off anyway), the key fob functioning (will just continue to unlock manually) or the interior lights (not that functional or bright anyway and always have my phone which I can light whatever I need to see if it's dark out)... what is the harm in simply leaving Fuse #9 out permanently so I don't have to deal with the replacement of the SKREEM module? Any downsides other than those I've mentioned???

Thanks for potentially developing a work around to having to inform my husband that we need to take my baby to a dealership and drop a sizable check to keep me happy.

Thanks for any insight.