Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Interior Door Pull Handle Repair/Retrofit with Pics

Old 02-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Interior Door Pull Handle Repair/Retrofit with Pics

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Beside the fastener you can see there is a post somewhere here that says that there is some glue of some kind. That person knocked the handle posts out from the back as I recall. That post was some years ago, not for the faint of heart I'd say.
Thanks again. From what I have been able to see, it looks like 2 small screw drivers or a special tool is needed to depress 2 clips that position it in place, however, with my current state of disability, I an going to need to get a helping hand in order to give this a try. I can't imagine that it would be glued, things need to be repairable, locating pins or clips would make more sense. If I find the answer, I will post the solution.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello gentleman. Need some help. What is the preferred tool to use when separating the stainless trim on the interior door pull. Mine is on pretty good and I do not want to damage or scratch it. I am upgrading my door speakers. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtsman
Hello gentleman. Need some help. What is the preferred tool to use when separating the stainless trim on the interior door pull. Mine is on pretty good and I do not want to damage or scratch it. I am upgrading my door speakers. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.
If you look at the seam on the bottom with a mirror you can see that the lip that is folded under the rear lip has some notches in it. You can pry it apart carefully at those gaps. I carefully used a thin screwdriver to separate the two halves. Separate the two halves evenly a bit at a time. Easy does it is the way to go. It

Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Thank you sir, I had a feeling you would have the answer!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Just had the "opportunity" to implement this fix. Looks like it's going to work like a champ.
Thanks Magnatude for sharing.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM

This is a great write-up! I realize this is an old post. New here and not sure if this is the correct place to ask. I am considering buying a 2005 coupe. No problem with the handle attachments, but the chrome plating is flaking up on both driver and passenger sides. Anyone know if they can be rechromed or refinished? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Most just buy a set of leather Corvette door pulls that pretty well.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by donsxfire
This is a great write-up! I realize this is an old post. New here and not sure if this is the correct place to ask. I am considering buying a 2005 coupe. No problem with the handle attachments, but the chrome plating is flaking up on both driver and passenger sides. Anyone know if they can be rechromed or refinished? Thanks.
I smoothed the rough edges with a piece of emery cloth but it lasted just for a little while before it started peeling again.
I now have a leather cover for the handle. I put sticky Velcro tape on the back face over the ragged edge before that and it seemed to work OK.
I got a pair of leather covers from a UK firm that they make for the Crossfire, they are held on using Velcro, they look good and cover the handle from one end to the other.
The plating just comes loose and replanting would cost too much I think.
Cover it up as it can give you a nice cut.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-21-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 AM

Good ideas! Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If you look at the seam on the bottom with a mirror you can see that the lip that is folded under the rear lip has some notches in it. You can pry it apart carefully at those gaps. I carefully used a thin screwdriver to separate the two halves. Separate the two halves evenly a bit at a time. Easy does it is the way to go. It
Not sure how to add my two cents to this thread but I took a try at repairing my handles peeling on the inside of my door handles. I bought some 2" chrome plated "Nashua" brand tape at my local Home Depot which I found has some good strong glue properties. I measured the inside length and cut two equal length strips. With the help of a small hand mirror I tried to straighten as many of the tattered pieces back in place with the use of a small flat screwdriver to minimize the bumpy seam area. I then carefully (that was the tricky part) placed the 2" strip so it would not show from the outside by allocating. I centered the three tape over the damaged seam by about an inch, smoothing from the center toward each end and finished on the bottom of the handle. This was done on a cool spring day in the shade and though I can still feel some bumpy areas, I've stopped the problem from getting worse, cut down on the use of bandages, and saved some expense. Don't know how the tape will hold up through the summer heat but I have confidence that it will.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the repair procedure on my door handle inside.
It went very well.
Great Idea

Old 01-13-2022, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone! I'm happy to report that the door handle fix I did on my Crossfire has been problem-free ever since I did the repair many years ago!

Thanks again to our mod, onehundred80 for making my writeup a sticky!

As far as everyone else who've done the repair to their door handles, It still makes me happy to hear that the writeup helped fixed the issue and saved you nearly $300. from having to buy a new replacement handle.