Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Rockauto RCM's

Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockauto RCM's

I have been inside my Relay Control Module more times than I want to admit. Still works fine but I wanted a spare. I have had some really weird cars in the past and don't enjoy getting stranded.
Took the plunge and ordered one from Rockauto figuring it would be a Chinese knockoff but would work as a spare. Part # 1R2032 (Airtex). I paid 131.37 shipped, using an online Rockauto discount code saved me six bucks.
It arrived today and much to my surprise it is OEM! I really thought it would be some offbrand. Exact same markings as my original with just a different date code. All else was the same, even came loaded with all fuses and has the Mercedes star on it. I was shocked. Plugged it in and off I go. Car ran fine, auto trans seemed to shift even better???
Anyway just thought I'd post because I have seen this exact module selling for $500+ and there is no difference at all.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Rockauto RCM's

Funny you should bring this up.
I'm a big fan of RockAuto. It's a local company from my home state.

I broke the tether on my gascap recently. Found 4 items at RockAuto and picked Gates. All 4 were +/-$3.

It came yesterday. It is a bagged original OEM Mercedes Benz part. In the correct P/N Gates box.

Imagine my surprise!

And OEM M/B was not one of the options.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Well, let's see. I bought the exact replacement relays for $3.10 each. There are a few diodes (50 cents each) on the board as well, and it's in a plastic case with some heavy molex connectors on it.

They should be able to build them in 10,000 piece lots for under $20 each. Add 100% markup for about three levels of resellers and shipping from overseas - and $125 sounds about right....

Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's cheap. Good find!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, let's see. I bought the exact replacement relays for $3.10 each. There are a few diodes (50 cents each) on the board as well, and it's in a plastic case with some heavy molex connectors on it.

They should be able to build them in 10,000 piece lots for under $20 each. Add 100% markup for about three levels of resellers and shipping from overseas - and $125 sounds about right....
pizzaguy, there is one diode, five identical resistors, five identical relays. Pretty simple setup however the relay contacts are, my guess coin silver. Rockauto website says the module contains semi precious metals. Unless they are referring to all the copper in the relays
I plan on keeping my xfire for the long haul and don't mind hoarding electronic parts. It's just crazy the way parts prices vary for these cars. I was shopping for a rear O2 sensor and the prices varied from 100 to 500 bucks for the same part. I got both rear Bosch O2 sensors for less than 90 bucks total. amazing, just shows that if you do your homework there are big savings to be had.
This is the first time I've used Rockauto but will again.
My reason for posting is that some members are hesitant to resolder their RCM. They don't have the equipment or the skills. In actuality when resoldering you are soldering to the frame of the relay which acts as a heat sink and that is probably why some resolders fail. I think for a buck and a quarter it is a fair deal.

Last edited by marksill; 08-09-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by marksill
My reason for posting is that some members are hesitant to resolder their RCM. They don't have the equipment or the skills.
Some have the equipment and the skills and will do the repair for you!

I think for a buck and a quarter it is a fair deal.
$15 to repair and perform the Me So Horny Mod is even fairer!
($20 if relay needs replacing)

Saves ya $110!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I still need to do this.....maybe in two weeks....that was bad wasn't it.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't feel bad Doc.
I STILL have to do the Sticky Key thingy.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:08 PM

damn, you had to bring that up too.....

Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM

I have been inside my Relay Control Module more times than I want to admit. Still works fine but I wanted a spare. I have had some really weird cars in the past and don't enjoy getting stranded.
Took the plunge and ordered one from Rockauto figuring it would be a Chinese knockoff but would work as a spare. Part # 1R2032 (Airtex). I paid 131.37 shipped, using an online Rockauto discount code saved me six bucks.
It arrived today and much to my surprise it is OEM! I really thought it would be some offbrand. Exact same markings as my original with just a different date code. All else was the same, even came loaded with all fuses and has the Mercedes star on it. I was shocked. Plugged it in and off I go. Car ran fine, auto trans seemed to shift even better???
Anyway just thought I'd post because I have seen this exact module selling for $500+ and there is no difference at all.
Thanks....I may invest in one even though I know I could ship both mine out west and give tighed1 some beer money....... He does perform a very good service for the forum.....so keep that in mind as well.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 AM

Looks like they only have this brand now possibly, STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY1562, I picked one up anyway just in case.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just be aware that these will fail just like the OEMs. No matter what mfg is stamped on the box, the boards all come from a single source (Poland?).
They all still use the same solder. It's already happened to a couple of members who bought brand spanking new RCMs.
Some have lasted less then a year. Better off getting them fixed IMO.

As often as these fail, I'm sure there's a stockpile of them from the dealers.
Wouldn't surprise me that someone is refurbishing these and repackaging them for resale!
I would imagine that with the right silver solder, the points would sustain positive contact and stay cool enough not to cause havoc with the relays and therefore make the boards bulletproof. Have not heard if any of the boards tighed1 has repaired ever coming back for re-repair.
But that's just my thoughts.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
Just be aware that these will fail just like the OEMs. No matter what mfg is stamped on the box, the boards all come from a single source (Poland?).
They all still use the same solder. It's already happened to a couple of members who bought brand spanking new RCMs.
Some have lasted less then a year. Better off getting them fixed IMO.

As often as these fail, I'm sure there's a stockpile of them from the dealers.
Wouldn't surprise me that someone is refurbishing these and repackaging them for resale!
I would imagine that with the right silver solder, the points would sustain positive contact and stay cool enough not to cause havoc with the relays and therefore make the boards bulletproof. Have not heard if any of the boards tighed1 has repaired ever coming back for re-repair.
But that's just my thoughts.
I agree with you 100%. Can't remember if my original was marked Hungary or Poland. I keep the new one as a spare only and am still running with the original that I resoldered months ago. I sort of doubt that any resoldered boards would fail since they were done carefully by hand not by a machine.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My original and replacement were made in Hungary.

Les