Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Ignition Switch/Lock Assembly Problems

Old 10-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch/Lock Assembly Problems

this is an old issue, but the problem has finalled cropped up on my 05 so I was searching the forum and found a thread on the switch problems and then this reference to a Mercedes part number.

Back in 2009 Tom Vroom wrote "Now for some really good info....take the housing to your local MERCEDES DEALER as they are the ones that make the housing P/N A1934600104 and the price....are you ready for this....$136.00 plus tax. (Chrysler wanted over 300.00 for this same part!)

This looked real promising until I called the dealer. According to our local Benz dealer, this P/N A1934600104, is not a valid part number. The part in question is for the ignition lock assembly (not the tumblers, but the housing etc).

Any ideas on alternate part numbers? parts manager wanted the VIN number for my car but chuckled when I said it was a Crossfire, not a Benz, so it probably wasn't in his system. The Chrysler part number I have is 1-68001655-AA but haven't been able to get a cross reference for it.

Obvously, the need for the MB part number is I have short arms and deep pockets, and don't mind saving a couple hundred bucks.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Ignition Switch/Lock Assembly Problems

there are basically two problems: (1) the tumbler in the key wears out and (2) the column lock wears out. If you have the key assembly out, it's and easy fix to remove the column lock pin and spring as per the instructions on this site. If your tumbler is worn out, as mine was, you can get a new tumbler at your dealership, just bring in the housing and they will look it up for you They will tell you it won't work because it needs the electronic chip, but buy it anyway, it's around $70. It comes with a micky mouse blank key which is nothing more than a guide to cut new keys with. I bought a new folding key like the original with the housing. I then had my local key shop take the chip out of my old housing and put it in the new housing and cut the key to match the new tumbler. It, much to the dismay of the Mercedes Part Dept, works perfectly. Note, these chips have the program burnt into them and can not be reset. You could set a new chip to your car's serial number which stays the same if you only replace the tumbler.

Removing that column lock pin and spring, just makes sense; you will never miss it and I doubt if any column lock has ever saved a car from being stolen.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Last edited by americanretrodave; 10-22-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ru-2006-a.html click on red UPDATE
(MB # is A 202 460 09 04 steering lock -but not required to fix) I put this on your other post but copied here
just for reference

Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 AM

AmericanRetro - I think the problem is in the steering wheel lock portion, not the actual tumbler/key part. Will know for sure when I get it apart. Really like Graphite, huh? Two SRT's! One of these days I'm going to SRT my base 6 speed 05 - said project is about #23 on my list of things I "plan" to do. Oh well, dreams are still free right?

ReliableRon - Thanks for the revised part number, the dealer liked that one. I haven't actually opened the sucker up yet - car is semi driveable at this point so it is parked awaiting my ministrations. Mercedes says this thing is available, special order, for about $160 which is way the heck better than Chrysler - they wanted over $400 for the fool thing!
Plan is to see what's what when I get it apart, and most likely just disable the steering wheel lock function. Needed to know what the part cost in case I totally fudged things up!

What is it with you guys and multiple Xfires? Kidding of course, I love mine but only have one. I do have seven MX5's though.

Cheers ya'll

Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hpmotors
AmericanRetro - I think the problem is in the steering wheel lock portion, not the actual tumbler/key part. Will know for sure when I get it apart. Really like Graphite, huh? Two SRT's! One of these days I'm going to SRT my base 6 speed 05 - said project is about #23 on my list of things I "plan" to do. Oh well, dreams are still free right?

What is it with you guys and multiple Xfires? Kidding of course, I love mine but only have one. I do have seven MX5's though.

Cheers ya'll
If the key is turning easily, it's probably the steering column lock and you don't need to buy anything to fix it, just pry that little cover off and let the pin and spring drop out, end of story.

I like the graphite but on the six speed I was hoping to find a white one, but I just seem to find the deals on graphite. And I suffer, like several on this site, from that desease that if one is good, two are better syndrom. I'm even worst on old corvettes, I have two '57s, one '59, two '62s, one '63 and two '67s and I'm looking at a '60.

Dave

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
If the key is turning easily, it's probably the steering column lock and you don't need to buy anything to fix it, just pry that little cover off and let the pin and spring drop out, end of story.

I like the graphite but on the six speed I was hoping to find a white one, but I just seem to find the deals on graphite. And I suffer, like several on this site, from that desease that if one is good, two are better syndrom. I'm even worst on old corvettes, I have two '57s, one '59, two '62s, one '63 and two '67s and I'm looking at a '60.

Dave
OK - you got me both ways. First, "pry that little cover off and let the pin and spring drop out". I've been reading a number of posts on this subject, and I was convinced you had to pull the lower panel & instrument panel in order to get the lock assembly out so that I could remove the steering wheel lock portion of the thing. Your saying this is a much simpler task? Which little cover do I pry off etc?

Second way is your cars - Eight Vettes - dang, that trumps 7 MX5's. Well, by comparison with your collection I am a real piker - you have to tell my wife about your cars so she can get off my butt about having too many my own-self!

Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You DO have to remove the lock assemble in order to pry the little cover off.
Just follow the Sticky Ignition Key Fix instructions.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hpmotors
OK - you got me both ways. First, "pry that little cover off and let the pin and spring drop out". I've been reading a number of posts on this subject, and I was convinced you had to pull the lower panel & instrument panel in order to get the lock assembly out so that I could remove the steering wheel lock portion of the thing. Your saying this is a much simpler task? Which little cover do I pry off etc?

Second way is your cars - Eight Vettes - dang, that trumps 7 MX5's. Well, by comparison with your collection I am a real piker - you have to tell my wife about your cars so she can get off my butt about having too many my own-self!
Yes, I was assuming you had the lock mechanism out. Yeah, I guess it might look a little excessive, having eight, but somehow I can't see a shop full of old vettes as a bad thing and each have their own specialities. Sounds like we both passed "need" a long time ago.

Dave

Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And it doesn't disable the steering wheel lock. Everything work just like before except the key will turn freely.