Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Engine shut down - no warning!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shut down - no warning!

I was driving '05 Crossfire Convertible and stopped at a traffic light. Engine went dead. Removed ignition key and then tried to restart engine. All dash lights went on, including emergency flashers, but no cranking, no click, nothing! Could not restart engine.
Pushed car out of traffic lane, called for a flat bed to tow to dealer. When he arrived about an hour later, we tried to start the car one more time and it started first try - like nothing was wrong....but this was the third time in two years that this same thing happened. First time I had car towed to dealer and they could not reproduce the no start problem...but after three episodes I am worried about getting rear ended one day. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Chrysler tech have had my car for entire week with no ideas on why the no start. Claim the RCM OK. Would I be better off at a Mercedes service center? Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks

Last edited by Chaiks1; 03-28-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Not getting problem solved at dealership
Old 03-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Engine shut down - no warning!

Well other than flashers coming on.. and being that far intermittent - Relay control module. Click on the red text on my signature for full information. If the solder joints shown any signs then you can pretty much bet that has been the problem. (Video RCM)

Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info re: RCM.....could the crankshaft position sensor be a problem too?

Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 PM

If the sensor is going bad.. you will still have starter engagement - but it will just spin with no firing off the engine.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Thanks again Mrmiata...taking car to Chrysler tech this weekend...will post results

Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular

I would check the solder joints yourself. It's easy to look at. Get ready for $1200 from the stealership. Buy a soldering iron if you don't have one and some solder. $20

Originally Posted by Chaiks1
Thanks again Mrmiata...taking car to Chrysler tech this weekend...will post results

Old 03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you don't want to solder it yourself or prefer a new one, they can be found brand new in the box on ebay for under $200.

Les

Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
If you don't want to solder it yourself or prefer a new one, they can be found brand new in the box on ebay for under $200.

Les
Rockauto.com has them for $125.00

Old 03-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Even better. I don't buy from Rockauto myself because they violate me on the shipping to P.R.

Les

Old 03-18-2015, 06:34 PM

Well it's your money.. they will probably run diagnostics etc. just to tell you "it's fine". Even if you point out what you have learned from the RCM thread odds are they will just nail you with a dealer price for a new one. I don't think they take the 10 minutes to actually "fix" something when a new part is just a phone call away.. LOL

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

If you INSIST on spending the money for a new RCM at the dealer, I'll gladly pay shipping charges for you to send the old one to DJ as a spare so he can have some ready to send when other forum members with less available cash need theirs repaired.

( DJ = tighed1 )

Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

just need to look at the joints and solder them...or have someone solder them

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0858.JPG (791.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM

Hi Guys....Chrysler techs have had my car for entire week and no answer. They can't reproduce the no start condition. They claim not the relay control module, but can't pinpoint problem. Should I consider thaking to a Mercedes tech?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever you do, get your car back from Chrysler....they are clueless to this problem. The board has cooled down and solder has shrunk back onto the points. They can't reproduce the problem without running the car till it builds up enough heat to cause the solder to expand away from the points and loose contact, which they won't do. They just hook up their Diagnostic machine and read the results.

Pull the board (refer to link below) and locate the 3 soldered pairs like Doc showed above. If you can't solder yourself, find an electronics repair (TVs, Stereos) locally and have them resolder it. Or send it to DJ (tighed1) who will repair it and test it. If you buy a new RCM, it will eventually develop the same problem and you'll be back to square one with having to get it re-soldered...!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Last edited by syfi; 03-28-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Hi Guys....Chrysler techs have had my car for entire week and no answer. They can't reproduce the no start condition. They claim not the relay control module, but can't pinpoint problem. Should I consider thaking to a Mercedes tech?
A connection on the relay control board in the "Engine Control Relay's" path has come open. This leaves part of the PTCM without power and results in two things:

1) The engine cant run, because the PTCM isn't fully powered.
2) The starter cant engage, because the PTCM is not providing an enable to the pulse module.

Either replace or repair the RCM. The "Chrysler techs" cant find this because they are not experienced with the Mercedes line, which is KNOWN for this problem AND because this involves REAL electronic troubleshooting - and garage "technicians" aren't trained in that. You took a Mercedes to a Chrysler dealer, bad move.

Resolder the RCM yourself OR find an independent shop KNOWN for their Mercedes experience and pay them ANYTHING they want to get your car going. I suspect they will want to replace the RCM and this will cost you around $250 plus labor of $75 to $150.

Or just order the part from the sources the gentlemen here have told you about and change it yourself. IT really IS easy - like plugging in a bunch of Christmas lights or setting up a home sound system.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-28-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I suppose I should add that we are troubleshooting your car without seeing it. Our statements are based on experience - it COULD be that you have a screwy battery, loose battery terminal, or any of about a dozen other problems.

But experience has shown that the solder connections on the RCM cause this and a few OTHER issues. The RCM is a weak spot in this car and many in this "family" of Mercedes products. Which, again, is why taking the car to a Mercedes shop is a good idea. And taking it to a Chrysler dealer is a bad idea.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well it's your money.. they will probably run diagnostics etc. just to tell you "it's fine". Even if you point out what you have learned from the RCM thread odds are they will just nail you with a dealer price for a new one. I don't think they take the 10 minutes to actually "fix" something when a new part is just a phone call away.. LOL
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm (required for message length)

Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 PM

I had this identical problem in my 01 slk, changed the crank position sensor and the problem never happened again and I drove it for 30000 more miles until I sold it.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 PM

His wouldn't even try to start (engine spin).. dollar to a doughnut yours would spin and not fire off.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

PM sent. Email me at

tighed1@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Engine shut down - no warning!