Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

gas vapor smell

Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas vapor smell

Hi,

New member here and recent owner of a 05 convertible crossfire. I have a problem with a gas smell/vapors any time I put the top down or windows when driving. I get smell of gasoline immediately. The trunk is missing the liners and side covers. I do know at some point soemone drilled through the opening for the gas sensors. Hope I explained that location well enough, but it is the 5" round opening the gas sensors are plugged into the top of the tank. I'm told they were going to run some speakers wires through it. IDK. It is patched with a hard black plastic like substance just above the wires. I know gas did seep into the car at one point and saturate the floorboards. I assume that's why the liners are missing too now. I removed all the carpeting and cut out the bad areas that were full off gas. The smell went away almost immediately. However I've had the car only 2 weeks. So I just filled the tnak for the first time. There is no leaks anywhere at this time. As well a smoke test shows no leaks in engine compartment nor any fuel lines etc. This smell is more prominent when I filled the tank up. More gas more vapors right! Please help me figure out how to stop this.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: gas vapor smell

Since you have trunk liners out already have a look at the drain hose. If there is a break in the line the fluid will go directly into the car

it is suppose to follow this path shown in red

Exit the car through a small hole behind the wheel

My old and new

The following 2 users liked this post by Beaner:
M60A3Driver (01-09-2024), redsnake (03-06-2024)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM

Ok I will check that out. Would that cause the smell to be worse if tank was full rather than say almot empty?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve D
Ok I will check that out. Would that cause the smell to be worse if tank was full rather than say almot empty?
if you spill any when you fill (even a few drops) then you would smell it...

Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention that I got in the trunk and could smell the vapors gas from the upper top left of tank/tank shield. Again whent the car is not moving it does not smell nor does it when driving with windows and top up and lcosed. It only comes in when windows are down or top is off. Almost like the air coming into the car it sitrring the vaoprs around from trunk/gas tank where there is an air hole or something.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might not hurt to replace the gas cap with a new one. If the cap isn't sealing properly it can cause the EVAP system to make that vapor smell also.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a good chance that someone has drilled into the gas tank.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Steve D
Hi,

New member here and recent owner of a 05 convertible crossfire. I have a problem with a gas smell/vapors any time I put the top down or windows when driving. I get smell of gasoline immediately. The trunk is missing the liners and side covers. I do know at some point soemone drilled through the opening for the gas sensors. Hope I explained that location well enough, but it is the 5" round opening the gas sensors are plugged into the top of the tank. I'm told they were going to run some speakers wires through it. IDK. It is patched with a hard black plastic like substance just above the wires. I know gas did seep into the car at one point and saturate the floorboards. I assume that's why the liners are missing too now. I removed all the carpeting and cut out the bad areas that were full off gas. The smell went away almost immediately. However I've had the car only 2 weeks. So I just filled the tnak for the first time. There is no leaks anywhere at this time. As well a smoke test shows no leaks in engine compartment nor any fuel lines etc. This smell is more prominent when I filled the tank up. More gas more vapors right! Please help me figure out how to stop this.
hi new member here

The cat converter on my Ltd coupe failed, had the petrol smell, now it’s been replaced the smell has gone, tfific

Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Fine, nice to have you here on the forum, welcome, but be advised you are answering a post that is four years old. Check the date at the top of each post.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Fine
hi new member here

The cat converter on my Ltd coupe failed, had the petrol smell, now it’s been replaced the smell has gone, tfific
Originally Posted by zip439
Fine, nice to have you here on the forum, welcome, but be advised you are answering a post that is four years old. Check the date at the top of each post.

Welcome to the best car forum I ever belonged to. I would like to second 'zip's' suggestion, and also add you can open your own post. It would also help everyone who responds to have a little more information. Glad you got the cat fixed but just what does ' tfific ' mean? Again, welcome, and enjoy your purchase. You'll find a wealth of information from many who save gobbs of money. Oh, last bit of advice, NEVER take it to a dealership. An independant MB mechanic is best IF you cannot find the fix here for $$$$$ less cost and some time.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Four or forty years old the post is in an appropriate thread so why start another one which has no other answers?
It is not like a car parts thread which is years old.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same gas smell issue on my 05 Srt6 coupe. Windows up, no smell. Windows down, horrible horrible gas smell.

Have others with this problem find fix?