Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

OBDII scanner recommendations

Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OBDII scanner recommendations

I've searched a little, and didn't find much. I know the STAR system is more expensive than I can stand. I am considering a scan tool and have found a couple that seem to be capable units at the upper end of my budget (wife's tolerance level).

I think I posted links, if anyone is interested, but am not certain it'll work. Any comments or other suggestions welcome.

They are

Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus
Amazon.com: Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus: Automotive

and

INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles
Amazon.com: INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive

Thanks,
Michael

Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 453 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: OBDII scanner recommendations

I have this one and I know many others here who do as well
This is how I found out about mine and bought it

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool

Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I have owned Actron brand devices for years with good results. The Ultragauge unit is good for constant monitoring OBD functions and codes during normal driving.

James

Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 PM

Valk,

Ala_xfire mentioned the Ultragauge also. I want to be able to do all I can, or can afford, with a scanner, but also want it for use on a broad range of cars, and easily portable. I will look harder at it than I have. Thanks

James,

Thanks for the feedback on Actron. Both the units I have read a little on have similar strengths and weaknesses, and are close in cost. I am familiar with neither brand so it's a shot in the dark. I appreciate the input.

Michael, 05 Limited Roadster, still in mystery no-start mode

Old 06-26-2015, 03:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Some nice ones here.....

Auto_inthebox Store - Newegg.com

Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Syfi,

One of the Autel units close in price, and seems to be broader in scope. It appears to include European cars so might be more capable with ours. Descriptions are a little murky in places, so I'm not sure yet what it will do out of the box, and what it CAN do with upgrades at some cost. The car can sit a little longer while I study some.

Thanks for posting the link. I had not looked at the Autel devices.

Michael

Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM

Here's their home page with more details Michael....

Autel.us | Car & Vehicle Diagnostic equipment | Engine ODB Software | MaxiDas DS780

Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have three Actron's: CP9135, CP9575 and a CP9180. I also have Ultragauges for both of my Crossfires. As James said the Ultragauge's are good for monitoring conditions while driving. For diagnosing check engine lights I reach for the CP9180. I’ve never used an Innova, so can’t comment on it. The Actron CP9580A you referenced looks like a good option. I wouldn’t hesitate to get it if I broke my 9180.

I would really like to have a Chrysler DRBIII, but at $1,800 plus used I can’t justify the cost.

Last edited by Toolman; 06-27-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the middle of this search too, and need a scanner that can do ABS. I just bought the Innova 3160 because it specifically says on their website to work on the Crossfire. It does NOT work for ABS or any enhanced codes, and I am returning it.

Do any of these Actron work for ABS on your Crossfire? On their website they say the CP9580A does not work for ABS or enhanced for the Crossfire.

Amazon has an icarsoft brand specifically for Mercedez I'm thinking of trying. Also there is an Autel A619 that looks promising.

In the past I tried BlueDriver for iOS and it does not work for enhanced codes on Crossfire. (Adding this in for future documentation).

Last edited by mikehagg123; 06-30-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

None of the Actron's I mentioned above read ABS codes. I also have an Actron CP9449 ABS BrakeScan that I bought years ago. It only works on a limited number of cars, and does not work on the Crossfire. I regret purchasing it.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael M
Syfi,
One of the Autel units close in price, and seems to be broader in scope. It appears to include European cars so might be more capable with ours. Descriptions are a little murky in places, so I'm not sure yet what it will do out of the box, and what it CAN do with upgrades at some cost. The car can sit a little longer while I study some.
Thanks for posting the link. I had not looked at the Autel devices.
Michael
Looks like you'll want to look at the higher priced models to get the bennies of the pro scanners. Here's a very popular scanner that is guaranteed to read and clear all codes including ABS and Transmission codes, plus is internet up-gradable and can print out results via PC.

Launch Tech Code Reading Scan Tool CRP123 - 301050116
Complete Domestic, Asian & European Coverage for ABS, SRS, Transmission & Engine
Enhanced Data Stream for ABS, SRS, Transmission and Engine
Auto Vehicle ID, Auto Module Search & Ultra-fast Protocol ID
Reads & clears codes on Engine, Transmission (A/T), ABS, and Airbag (SRS) systems – on all makes and all models
Includes all functions of previous CReader models for OBD Generic
Support for all 10 test modes of OBDII with Enhanced OBDII Mode 6
Retrieves generic and manufacturer specific codes – both permanent & pending
Turn off Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
View freeze frame data and I/M Readiness monitor status
Graph, record, and replay data in full color
Enhanced Help Functions
Intuitive Interface and Button Operation with Sleek, Rugged Design
3.5” TFT color display
Multilingual menu with DTC definitions in English, Spanish & French
Internet updateable
Print Data Via PC

Amazon.com: Launch Tech 301050116 'CRP123' ABS, SRS, Transmission and Engine Code Scanner: Automotive Amazon.com: Launch Tech 301050116 'CRP123' ABS, SRS, Transmission and Engine Code Scanner: Automotive

Old 08-07-2015, 01:21 PM

Syfi,

I've gotten lost in the broken things here this summer. Wanted to update though. I ended up with the AUTEL scanner with roughly the same description as the one you suggested. I paid about $240 on Amazon, about 65% of real store cost. It does much more than I can understand, but I'll learn as I go.

I appreciate your input on this.

Unfortunately, it finds nothing wrong with the Crossfire. I'm still hoping to avoid a trailer trip to the nearest dealer, about 80 miles away in Memphis. That's another thread.

Michael

Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Autel AL539 unit. Pretty powerful as far as scanners go.
No ABS, etc.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:08 PM

Max,

I bought the MD802. It does include transmission, ABS, and SRS functions, but it's above my head so far. I know it's limited with the Crossfire, but the machine does include Asian and European vehicles.

I am retired, and decided to go back to school before I forget how to learn. Just finished a two-year collision repair course and loved it. I'm going back in the fall for at least one semester of automotive repair. Two semesters are more mechanical, and that may be down the road. Two semesters include electrical systems and that's where I'm weakest. Maybe by December....

Michael
05 Limited Roadster, still dead in the water

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael M:
FaustZAR (10-04-2023), Nabs (04-17-2021)
Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael M
Max,

I bought the MD802. It does include transmission, ABS, and SRS functions, but it's above my head so far. I know it's limited with the Crossfire, but the machine does include Asian and European vehicles.

I am retired, and decided to go back to school before I forget how to learn. Just finished a two-year collision repair course and loved it. I'm going back in the fall for at least one semester of automotive repair. Two semesters are more mechanical, and that may be down the road. Two semesters include electrical systems and that's where I'm weakest. Maybe by December....

Michael
05 Limited Roadster, still dead in the water
Now THAT sounds like a great retired hobby. I'll keep that in mind!

The following users liked this post:
Nabs (04-17-2021)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had for about 5 years INNOVA 3100 CanOBD2 works great.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:49 AM

I'm looking forward to buy the universial diagnostic tools recently. As i know, OSD scanners have different functions, maybe you need to choose which function do you want. I have some referral online store, Auto Repair Tools, it's good and price is reasonable and service is top. You can ask the online service to recommend.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 AM

I am looking for a car diagnostic scanner tool under $200. Which brand and which model you will suggest me to buy? I have found a review article here Actron CP9680 Review 2018: Autoscanner plus obd ii/abs/airbag scan tool. And I am also seeing a recommendation of actron cp9680 scan tool. But, want to know more about this. Which diagnostic scanner is good to buy?

Last edited by kantoimk; 12-18-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I've got several and have reasonable performance from nearly all of them. One of the slickest is the BlueDriver, which a Bluetooth OBDII scanner. I keep it in my XFire console and the APP is installed on both my cell phone & tablet. Enables me to read diagnostic codes anywhere I am if the car acts up. Usually take it with me on trips if I drive another one of my vehicles.

The other scanner I like is the iCarsoft MBII i980 I have. The one I have is for Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter. Cost me $160 (somewhat pricey), but it reads not only the diagnostic codes but several of the powertrain management & SRS codes. Turns out there are not as many powertrain management codes on the R170 chassis that can be found. M-B kept adding to these as the chassis design was upgraded in the following years. And yes, it will read the SRS airbag light, indicate what the issue is and clear the light (like so many folks dealt with during TAKATA airbag recall service).

Old 12-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally prefer Torque Pro for all around, check any car, use. Have a mag mount on the dash for my cell phone and display things that the manufacturer prefers no to (like volts).

Have been looking for something "more" and thei is the first I've seen verified that the iCarsoft MBII i980 can reset the ABS light on a 2007. Do you need to tell it anything special to read/reset the Crossfire.

Personally I tend to fixate on drivetrains. For years it was Pontiac 400s and 421s (though Sunbird had a SBC). Then it was 3800s and still have a pair of Reattae (coupe and convertible). This century it is M112s and have a '07 Crossfire Coupe and an '01 SLK320. Odd man out is the Jeep (DOHC V6 but same transmission family as the SLK...)

So for my GM cars I have Moates adapters and Tuner Pro but for the later stuff just have Torque Pro (Carly Pro is the best MB software but only works with later drivetrains).

Have heard good things about the iCarSoft but can that model save logs onto a PC ? OTOH if it can reset the airbag light then I'll but one.

Thanks dedwards for posting., I've had a hard time deciding since few will cover both the SLK and the Crossfire even though they are the same chassis.

Too bad the roadster isn't a retractible hardtop. The astute may note the Crossfire wheels, it came with 16s. These fill the wheelwells a lot better (but the Crossfire with a six speed is a far better track day/autocross car)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clearsidexf.jpg (150.4 KB, 30 views)

Quick Reply: OBDII scanner recommendations