Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car not running - Fix it or sell it?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not running - Fix it or sell it?

Over a month a go I had this problem:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...k-tumbler.html

I took it to a local shop thinking that the problem was simply the push-start aftermarket button without really troubleshooting the car. The guy had my car for over a month and did nothing besides pulling and tearing apart all the push-start button system, he lost the key that was wired to the push start button. i towed (again) to one of the best shops in Philly and they have told me that I will need to get the original ignition switch and install so I could take to the dealership an reprogram the computer to match the code of the spare key.

I am trying to decide what to do. I have towed the car three times (+$500) the new part will be at least another $500 and I don't know if after all the problem with the car was the push-start system.

The car has 125,000 miles on it.

I am trying to decide if it will be worth to fix it and keep it/sell it or sell it like in its current status.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Car not running - Fix it or sell it?

Have you thought maybe about contacting all the breaker yards on car-part.com and asking if they perhaps had a car with a matching ignition key assembly, key fob and skreem ?
( look up the yards by searching on ignition switch )

Here's the search for just the southeast :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (84.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Have you thought maybe about contacting all the breaker yards on car-part.com and asking if they perhaps had a car with a matching ignition key assembly, key fob and skreem ?
( look up the yards by searching on ignition switch )

Here's the search for just the southeast :
yeah I did. what else do I need besides the ignition switch and key?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The RFID chip in the key must match the skreem

Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gtjl
Over a month a go I had this problem:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...k-tumbler.html

I took it to a local shop thinking that the problem was simply the push-start aftermarket button without really troubleshooting the car. The guy had my car for over a month and did nothing besides pulling and tearing apart all the push-start button system, he lost the key that was wired to the push start button. i towed (again) to one of the best shops in Philly and they have told me that I will need to get the original ignition switch and install so I could take to the dealership an reprogram the computer to match the code of the spare key.

I am trying to decide what to do. I have towed the car three times (+$500) the new part will be at least another $500 and I don't know if after all the problem with the car was the push-start system.

I am trying to decide if it will be worth to fix it and keep it/sell it or sell it like in its current status.

If you actually have an "OEM spare key".. why deal with a skreem and mess? It's RFID chip is already programmed for the car.. (even if you were told to "have it programmed"... that's just BS) The metal key and switch is what you need to get away from the push start thing..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 07-07-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
If you actually have an "OEM spare key".. why deal with a skreem and mess? It's RFID chip is already programmed for the car.. (even if you were told to "have it programmed"... that's just BS) The metal key and switch is what you need to get away from the push start thing..
The guy said that the code in the spare key doesn't match the one in the sckreem

Old 07-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The guy said that the code in the spare key doesn't match the one in the sckreem
How would he know that? If this were the original OEM key it has to be the correct chip.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
How would he know that? If this were the original OEM key it has to be the correct chip.

I guess cause it wouldn't start..

Even with the chip missing or "wrong" when other issue is fixed.. it should act just like a skreem failure.. two or three attempted fires to life and die.. then disconnect battery and same cycle..

Old 07-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

AH, another nightmare with an aftermarket, Chinese keyless start.

See why I warn and warn and warn people about those damn things? You take a car already hard enough to diagnose and then add some cheap consumer-grade piece of **** to it and what do you get?

No, not here offering any advice, that is covered - I am simply posting for OTHERS to READ and LEARN.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
AH, another nightmare with an aftermarket, Chinese keyless start.

See why I warn and warn and warn people about those damn things? You take a car already hard enough to diagnose and then add some cheap consumer-grade piece of **** to it and what do you get?

No, not here offering any advice, that is covered - I am simply posting for OTHERS to READ and LEARN.

2nd this most experienced advice for those willing to listen!

Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 AM

I guess cause it wouldn't start..

Even with the chip missing or "wrong" when other issue is fixed.. it should act just like a skreem failure.. two or three attempted fires to life and die.. then disconnect battery and same cycle..
I missed something then. If this was working at one time all of the chips had to be good. I don't understand how in the middle of diagnosing it you decide the RFID chip is incorrect. And if that is the case then a new FOB from needswings would solve this regardless of pushbutton start.

Double ditto what pizza guy said!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM

he lost the key that was wired to the push start button. i towed (again) to one of the best shops in Philly and they have told me that I will need to get the original ignition switch and install so I could take to the dealership an reprogram the computer to match the code of the spare key.

It's those little details you have to pay attention to ..

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM

It's those little details you have to pay attention to ..
So a Needswings FOB would fix this.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
So a Needswings FOB would fix this.

Well it would get you the chip matched to the vin.. but it does raise the question of "is the skreem original".. that could open a whole new can of worms... and I only mention this to go along with "spare doesn't work".. Not an expert on this but do know if dealer repairing a system doesn't get the "code" pulled from the old one.. you get to buy new keys to go with it all.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Forum Regular

did the spare key ever start the engine?

Old 07-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by arejohn
did the spare key ever start the engine?
I have never used that key because when I bought the car it came with the aftermarket push/start button.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:20 PM

I have never used that key because when I bought the car it came with the aftermarket push/start button.

Even without the transponder chip.. when the problem is resolved of the "start button".. (have you checked the RCM? link in my signature) the car starter should work.. and the car "should" fire to life for a brief second then die. 3 of those near starts (some claim 2) and you have to pull the battery cable to try again.. but do not do this repeatedly as legend has it after 30 attempts and fails it self destructs.

So once you get it "trying" to fire.. move the spare key-transponder into the proximity (on top of) the transponder ring to see if it will fire and run.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 07-12-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't believe the OP has the car anymore. Early last week I saw a local Craigslist listing for a Crossfire with the push to start problem that "just needed a key assembly" for $1,800. The listing was only up for a few days.