Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Ignition Wiring

Old 08-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Wiring

Hello all,
I have been a lurker on these forums for a while but, this is my first post . Any help on this question would be appreciated. Anyways, lately I've been browsing over some threads on CrossfireForum on installing push to start systems on our cars. This seemed like something I was interested in because my ignition has started to become "sticky". I read over the PDF on how to fix the "sticky key ignition" but, instead of fixing it, I figured a push to start would be much cooler . I have already got everything wired up except for the push to start module itself (which I have not yet ordered). So far, I have put in a DEI 2102T system so that I can walk up to and away from the car and have it automatically lock/unlock. I will also use this to interface with my push to start so that the DEI fob has to be inside the car for the car to start. I have also put in a bypass module so that I can bypass the transponder system. So far so good. Now, once I receive my push to start module, I need to know how the ignition system works on the Crossfire to get it to work properly. Here's what I know: the ignition harness on the Crossfire is a 7 pin harness with (2) +12 wires, (2) ignition wires, (2) accessory wires, and (1) starter wire. What I need to know is which +12v wires power what ignition wires and, when do the ignition wires get "activated". For example, does the ignition 1 wire get powered with the key in the on position but, not powered when the car is started? I guess I just need someone who can explain to me or at least point me in the right direction as to how our ignition systems work. Sorry for posting so much but, I figured you guys might want to know what I am doing. Also, if all goes well, I could potentially make a write up or a video on how I did it!

Thanks,
jhansen

Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: Ignition Wiring

If you are into it that deep, your next step is to download the service manual (which has fairly accurate wiring diagrams).

There is no way I'd take on such a project based on answers from from guys on a forum, you need SPECIFIC detailed diagrams - and they will answer your questions very well.

THis is the defacto SRT6/Limited/Roadster/Coupe service manual - it works for most questions about the car:
http://www.jodykrivohlavek.com/_docu...ice_Manual.pdf

Now, keep in mind that you have now taken a car that is very hard to get service on (and REALLY hard when it comes to electrical issues) and made it even worse with your modification. This is fine as long as you own the car and are willing to troubleshoot starting and electrical issues,which you obviously are.

My view: For the average owner, this mod is a real mistake.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

And I say "real mistake for the average owner" based on the past two people who have come to me personally for help with their crossfire which they just bought and can't get anyone to help them get the car to run - because it has some hack-assed install of a "keyless" mod.

Have you seen some of the crap people do? I'm sure you will do it right, it is your car. But these awful shops that do these mods appear to me to be automotive abortionists.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 AM

Oh yes I am well aware of some of the hack-jobs performed on these cars. Just browsing over a few threads have given me a few glimpses of what horrible jobs can be done. I understand your concern and thank you for providing me with the service manual. Although I know these cars are notorious for voltage sensitivity problems, I've done my research and made sure I've tapped into nothing that (should) cause problems. I am taking this project very slow and double checking everything that I do so that I can have minimal problems (so far none!) Again, thank you.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When installing one of these kits, do you remove the entire ignition switch including the locking mechanism?

Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
When installing one of these kits, do you remove the entire ignition switch including the locking mechanism?
Yes you do. To remove it I used the guide on CrossfireForums on the sticky ignition key fix. It shows you exactly how to remove it. Also, when you remove the ignition switch, it disables the steering wheel interlock which is nice because, in some cars you have drill out or break the interlock.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 AM

So, for anyone who is curious (maybe nobody haha) I did get the push to start work successfully. It took me a little while to go over the service manual and figure out exactly how the ignition system worked but, it was pretty simple in the end now that I look back at it.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you kept photos and done a how to? This would help other people if they decided to do this mod on the forum.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ardenian
Have you kept photos and done a how to? This would help other people if they decided to do this mod on the forum.
+1. I'm curious to see how you did it

Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Push Start is nothing new.
Back in the day even Yugo cars had push starts, they had heated rear windows so your hands did not get cold when you push started them in winter.
True! Honestly.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Push Start is nothing new.
Back in the day even Yugo cars had push starts, they had heated rear windows so your hands did not get cold when you push started them in winter.
True! Honestly.
And the rear window didn't fall out ?????????????????????????????

Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
and the rear window didn't fall out ?????????????????????????????
lol........

Old 08-18-2015, 05:11 PM

I am planning on doing a write up although it might take a while. I am planning on starting the write up tonight and hopefully finishing it up by the weekend. Total cost for the project was around $100, granted I had some parts already around the garage like electrical connectors and the likes.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jhansen
So, for anyone who is curious (maybe nobody haha) I did get the push to start work successfully. It took me a little while to go over the service manual and figure out exactly how the ignition system worked but, it was pretty simple in the end now that I look back at it.
Which bypass Module did you decide to go with? I'm looking into doing mine and can't quite figure out which module would be best for the XF

Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scotward
Which bypass Module did you decide to go with? I'm looking into doing mine and can't quite figure out which module would be best for the XF
Maybe this guy ran into trouble, he has not replied in nearly 18 months.
He said it worked but .........
He seem to disappear around the same time.
Look at the post date when you answer threads like this.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-31-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Hi all,
Yes I've been off the forums for a while onehundred80, unfortunately I sold my Crossfire. But, I did not run into trouble with the push to start, it turned out really well.

For the bypass module I used the Directed Electronics universal bypass module.
Amazon Amazon
(It's only about $12 right now)

The system I used was the push to start by Advanced Keys, it worked flawlessly and I had no reliability issues.

The hardest part was probably opening up my key to get the transponder out and placing the transponder in the bypass module. Quite honestly it was an easy install. Although it was very convenient, a few months later the novelty of the push to start wore off and it became "normal" to use I guess. I don't regret doing it at all though, it was very convenient, PM me if you have any questions. I will try to stay as active as I can now that I know there's at least one person interested haha!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks OEM. Might consider this if switch ever fails again. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nicely done jhanson. I think I'd opt to do this also, if I ever got the sticky ignition. But; What may be an easy install for you, can be very daunting for many of us. Again, well done. It looks great.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 AM

I know in an earlier post I said the total cost was around $100. At the time I used a cheap $50 kit from Amazon. When I received the kit, I found out that it had terrible quality components. The wires weren't very thick, and felt cheap. The relays didn't seem like they were good quality either. Finally, the push to start button felt cheap and plastic-y, which was very disappointing because the entire point of the project was to make it look OEM! After deciding I did not trust the $50 kit to start my Crossfire, I found Advanced Keys kit and installed it. Although their kit is more expensive, you get what you pay for. The instructions are easy to follow (and written in English), all the components are high quality and feel high end, their support team is great, and arguably most important, the push to start button looks, performs, and feels OEM! For anyone that is going to attempt this, DO NOT buy some cheap kit like I did from ebay or Amazon. We like to take care of our cars the best we can so why cheap out on an ignition system like I did originally, when you can buy a high quality, reliable kit?

Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jhansen
I know in an earlier post I said the total cost was around $100. At the time I used a cheap $50 kit from Amazon. When I received the kit, I found out that it had terrible quality components. The wires weren't very thick, and felt cheap. The relays didn't seem like they were good quality either. Finally, the push to start button felt cheap and plastic-y, which was very disappointing because the entire point of the project was to make it look OEM! After deciding I did not trust the $50 kit to start my Crossfire, I found Advanced Keys kit and installed it. Although their kit is more expensive, you get what you pay for. The instructions are easy to follow (and written in English), all the components are high quality and feel high end, their support team is great, and arguably most important, the push to start button looks, performs, and feels OEM! For anyone that is going to attempt this, DO NOT buy some cheap kit like I did from ebay or Amazon. We like to take care of our cars the best we can so why cheap out on an ignition system like I did originally, when you can buy a high quality, reliable kit?
I am not knowledgable in this system, if the chip is permanently in the ignition does that mean that you can jump in the car and drive it away?
What keeps the car safe from this, some other security feature?
I saw something about a card, is this the security?

Quick Reply: Ignition Wiring