Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Climate Control Fan Speed Fix

Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Climate Control Fan Speed Fix

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. I hope other forum members find it useful because I'm sure this is a common problem (and a simple fix).

One of the niggling issues I've had with my Crossfire is the erratic fan speed control for the climate control. Fist up I replaced the resistor unit on the fan, that didn't change anything (a waste of time). I've replace the climate controller twice now without much success, as they both eventually failed. I purchased another unit from the wreckers last week, I went to install it today and it was faulty as well. So I finally made the effort to try and work out what was failing.

I've pulled a unit apart before and couldn't identify any obvious faults (dry joints, failed components etc), but today when I pulled another one apart I noticed something entirely different. This time when I removed the front of the unit, the rear (horizontal) circuit board came out still attached to the front (vertical) circuit board with the controls on it.

The main issue I identified was the very poor contact provided by the 18 pin header and socket that attach the two boards electrically. When mounted in its case, the two circuit boards attach very loosely. When the unit is new, the contact is probably ok, but after you start to use the controls and drive the car around I bet the contact deteriorates over time and gets erratic. I've taken some pictures that show the issues, there are two main ones:

1. The front RHS of the rear circuit board hits part of the plastic souround of the front board mounting, stopping it from fully pushing into the header socket. Fix - file some of the plastic away. Push the rear circuit board all the way into the header and apply some epoxy glue to hold it there.

2. There's a small locating pin at the rear of the external housing that locates the circuit board. Fix - cut it off with a Stanley knife, as it pulls the rear circuit board away from the front board when you mount it in the housing. You could also apply some more epoxy here once you put it all back together.

If you fix both the issues above you will get much better electrical contact between the front and rear circuit boards through the header and pins. I modified all three of my faulty units today, they now all work like new. I guess the wreckers won't be selling me any more climate control units.

PS. I wonder if this has also been the cause of my intermittent rear demister issue as it's also controlled through this header?

I hope this helps someone.

Moderator Note: If re-installing the climate module is not going well for you, read this, mostly post #4:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...alignment.html

Attached Images
File Type: gif
Circuit Board Issues.gif (1.97 MB, 1018 views)
Locating Pin on Housing.gif (2.10 MB, 871 views)
Glued Front.gif (2.15 MB, 832 views)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-28-2023 at 10:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Romad (01-11-2023)
Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Climate Control Fan Speed Fix

Thanks ! Great pictures !

STICKY STICKY STICKY

( George [ greyghost ], your questions are finally answered, now you don't need to get another climate control module ! )

Old 10-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. I hope other forum members find it useful because I'm sure this is a common problem (and a simple fix).

One of the niggling issues I've had with my Crossfire is the erratic fan speed control for the climate control. Fist up I replaced the resistor unit on the fan, that didn't change anything (a waste of time). I've replace the climate controller twice now without much success, as they both eventually failed. I purchased another unit from the wreckers last week, I went to install it today and it was faulty as well. So I finally made the effort to try and work out what was failing.

I've pulled a unit apart before and couldn't identify any obvious faults (dry joints, failed components etc), but today when I pulled another one apart I noticed something entirely different. This time when I removed the front of the unit, the rear (horizontal) circuit board came out still attached to the front (vertical) circuit board with the controls on it.

The main issue I identified was the very poor contact provided by the 18 pin header and socket that attach the two boards electrically. When mounted in its case, the two circuit boards attach very loosely. When the unit is new, the contact is probably ok, but after you start to use the controls and drive the car around I bet the contact deteriorates over time and gets erratic. I've taken some pictures that show the issues, there are two main ones:

1. The front RHS of the rear circuit board hits part of the plastic souround of the front board mounting, stopping it from fully pushing into the header socket. Fix - file some of the plastic away. Push the rear circuit board all the way into the header and apply some epoxy glue to hold it there.

2. There's a small locating pin at the rear of the external housing that locates the circuit board. Fix - cut it off with a Stanley knife, as it pulls the rear circuit board away from the front board when you mount it in the housing. You could also apply some more epoxy here once you put it all back together.

If you fix both the issues above you will get much better electrical contact between the front and rear circuit boards through the header and pins. I modified all three of my faulty units today, they now all work like new. I guess the wreckers won't be selling me any more climate control units.

PS. I wonder if this has also been the cause of my intermittent rear demister issue as it's also controlled through this header?

I hope this helps someone.
This is brilliant, these have been a source of aggravation for years.
The answer to the problem comes from Oz, where Crossfires must be pretty thin on the ground.
With your permission I'll convert your post to a PDF file for ease of printing.
I'll send you a PM asking for permission. Permission received.
CLICK for PDF
Not many solve a major problem in their first post.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Heater-AC Speed Control Fix.pdf (528.5 KB, 736 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-18-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CL770
The main issue I identified was the very poor contact provided by the 18 pin header and socket that attach the two boards electrically. When mounted in its case, the two circuit boards attach very loosely.
Do you think those can be soldered together, or will that prohibit assembly and installation?

Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Do you think those can be soldered together, or will that prohibit assembly and installation?
Hi, I don't think you need to that much trouble. You could try, but I could be very hard. It won't make any difference to the assembly. You just insert the complete unit into it's plastic housing. There's 8 small clips that hold the front of the unit into the housing (plus the circuit board locator pin at the rear).

Try it out and let me know how you go!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you CL770! Fix worked great, this has been bothering me since I bought the car.

Pioneer - yes, I just finished soldering this connection, it is possible. If you remove the facing you have free access to the other side of this connection. I soldered directly on top of the blue pin receptacle, not pretty but it worked. If I did this again I would cut the receptable out and trim the pins down and just solder directly on top of the board.

Just a note, the side plastic hex head screws in the temperature control wheels have to come out. They do not unscrew, the pull straight out and they are slotted to fit the electrical connection behind the wheel. Once these plastic pins are out there are eight plastic tabs holding the circuit board on the face (they just slide to the sides). Make sure you note the location of the temperature wheels for reassembly.

Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great find!! Thank you for sharing this "Fix" as we all have been annoyed with the sporadic fan issue.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Thanks ! Great pictures !

STICKY STICKY STICKY

( George [ greyghost ], your questions are finally answered, now you don't need to get another climate control module ! )

Hi George, GRAPHITEGHOST here, yes very interesting. I could have possibly found this quite a long time ago if someone would have donated a head unit.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Just came across this thread. What a gift! Hope to have my 2007's HCM fully functional again.

Way to go CL770!

Later,

buford05 (07-18-2021)
Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hi George, GRAPHITEGHOST here, yes very interesting. I could have possibly found this quite a long time ago if someone would have donated a head unit.
This new guy solves a major issue in his first post, that has got to be a first. I think he deserves a merit award.
The Crossfire man of the year.

×Crossfire1× (02-28-2023)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This new guy solves a major issue in his first post, that has got to be a first. I think he deserves a merit award.
The Crossfire man of the year.
I'd support that! Gotta be a first!

We agree on something - someone pinch me so I can wake up!

Later,

Old 11-21-2015, 07:34 AM

This is brilliant, these have been a source of aggravation for years.
The answer to the problem comes from Oz, where Crossfires must be pretty thin on the ground.
With your permission I'll convert your post to a PDF file for ease of printing.
I'll send you a PM asking for permission. Permission received.
CLICK for PDF
Not many solve a major problem in their first post.
Thanks for the PDF file. I put it with my other DIY technical solutions.

Later,

Old 11-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I'd support that! Gotta be a first!

We agree on something - someone pinch me so I can wake up!

Later,
I too am on board for that, let's call it the "Mike" in honor of MikeR.

Some graphics genius come up with a suitable graphic he can use as a sig ?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Top_Shop_Logo_Small_.jpg

Last edited by syfi; 11-21-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:46 AM

CL770, you are now the FIRST official recipient of the coveted MIKE AWARD, the Crossfire community equivalent of the Heisman, Stanley Cup, Americas Cup and whatever other Cup you can think of !
WEAR IT PROUDLY !!!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:08 AM

So I grabbed the procedure for removing the HVAC Control Module & added a few more detailed instructions on how to remove the Center Console Front Cover for anyone attempting this Mike Award fix discovered by CL770. The PDF document is attached for anyone's use.

But I am curious if everyone adheres to the warning/practice of disconnecting the negative battery cable before performing this fix and any other similar fix in & around the instrument panel. Shop Manual is clear on doing this to discharge the air bag system to prevent an accidental release and thereby avoiding a potential exposure to a serious injury.

Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-28-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:30 AM

So I grabbed the procedure for removing the HVAC Control Module & added a few more detailed instructions on how to remove the Center Console Front Cover for anyone attempting this Mike Award fix discovered by CL770. The PDF document is attached for anyone's use.

But I am curious if everyone adheres to the warning/practice of disconnecting the negative battery cable before performing this fix and any other similar fix in & around the instrument panel. Shop Manual is clear on doing this to discharge the air bag system to prevent an accidental discharge and thereby avoiding a potential exposure to a serious injury.
It does not seem to work for me.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:36 AM

It does not seem to work for me.
So I'm interpreting your feedback as some difficulty in opening the PDF file. I went back & clicked on the attached file and it opened up fine. So I didn't see an issue opening the file. If anyone else has difficulties opening the file, let me know.

Later,

Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I'm interpreting your feedback as some difficulty in opening the PDF file. I went back & clicked on the attached file and it opened up fine. So I didn't see an issue opening the file. If anyone else has difficulties opening the file, let me know.

Later,
It opened fine for me as well, thanks.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:42 AM

Later,
I get the pdf fine, but I see three of the same pdf in your post, it is the links in the pdf that do not work.
Is it my iPad that is screwing me up? I'll try on my PC.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Fan Speed Fix