Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

RCM repair fixes most code P0410 issues?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCM repair fixes most code P0410 issues?

Got the P0410 code when I started up coming back from lunch. Secondary Air Pump code. Assuming the pump itself is ok (and I can hear it running) this is typically an RCM relay solder issue?

I was able to clear the code when I scanned it and it has stayed away through 3 test starts so far. Could have been a one-time thing.

Regardless, one of the things I bought for a part kit when I got my Crossie was a spare OEM RCM. I'll pop that one in long enough to send the original to tighed1 for modification.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: RCM repair fixes most code P0410 issues?

It's almost always either fractured solder where the cable going to the pump plugs into hte RCM or pitted contacts on the relay itself.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sirharper
Got the P0410 code when I started up coming back from lunch. Secondary Air Pump code. Assuming the pump itself is ok (and I can hear it running) this is typically an RCM relay solder issue?

I was able to clear the code when I scanned it and it has stayed away through 3 test starts so far. Could have been a one-time thing.

Regardless, one of the things I bought for a part kit when I got my Crossie was a spare OEM RCM. I'll pop that one in long enough to send the original to tighed1 for modification.
You only want to hear it running for 20 seconds or so on start up, if it runs all the time the relay contacts are stuck together and a new pump will soon be required if not corrected.
One time things often turn into all the time things if they are not investigated.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was getting that code pretty regularly shortly after purchasing my 2004 Coupe last year. I sent the PCM off to tighed1 for repair and the code has never come back.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've about had it with this code too. Nothing but a VERY expensive "lets just start replacing stuff" scheme. My car coded and actually the smog pump was dead. No doubt. I tried to jump it through the relay block and nothing. Pulled it out and sure enough it was full of water. I bought another, $149.00 and it definitely worked when direct jumped to relay. I took the car to my mechanic and we cleared the code. Went in and passed a two year emissions, and sure enough shortly thereafter it coded again. Keep in mind the initial "suggested" problem was the relay at about $300 new, not the smog pump. Now it doesn't even show a "suggested" fix. Just a code PO410. So what....spend $1000 on part replacement? Total joke.

Last week I changed the SC pulley and found a tube, elbow shaped, coming off the EGR solenoid with nothing connected to it except some sort of cap looking thing an outlet going nowhere. I subsequently found a clear plastic tube hanging behind the SC pulley. In trying to connect the two, logically thinking they must be related, I pulled the clear plastic tube loose from whatever it connected to at the rear, driver's side of the motor. I can't find any schematic at all that shows how that EGR is plumbed so no idea what it is other than a guess; a redirect of exhaust gases into the exhaust manifold.

This is a flaw in the SRT6. This code pops up constantly on this and other forums/links. Stealerships only answer with "bring it in and we'll take a look." Yah right.....at $100 an hour in the same part change out we can do alone. I wish I could find a flipping schematic for the EGR solenoid plumbing. The only one I can find has the tubing coming off the solenoid but not where they attach. Time to unhook the negative and clear the computer so the damn check engine light goes off for another 100 miles. Tired of it. Worse thing is we sit in the emissions station and watch smoking oil burners driving away with a "passed" paper in their hands and we are sitting there in cherry cars failing. If it wasn't for my mechanic clearing the code for me I would still be trying to pass that test.

Anyone who can find a schematic for that EGR solenoid please get it to me. Maybe that's what my issues is.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael11
I've about had it with this code too. Nothing but a VERY expensive "lets just start replacing stuff" scheme. My car coded and actually the smog pump was dead. No doubt. I tried to jump it through the relay block and nothing. Pulled it out and sure enough it was full of water. I bought another, $149.00 and it definitely worked when direct jumped to relay. I took the car to my mechanic and we cleared the code. Went in and passed a two year emissions, and sure enough shortly thereafter it coded again. Keep in mind the initial "suggested" problem was the relay at about $300 new, not the smog pump. Now it doesn't even show a "suggested" fix. Just a code PO410. So what....spend $1000 on part replacement? Total joke.

Last week I changed the SC pulley and found a tube, elbow shaped, coming off the EGR solenoid with nothing connected to it except some sort of cap looking thing an outlet going nowhere. I subsequently found a clear plastic tube hanging behind the SC pulley. In trying to connect the two, logically thinking they must be related, I pulled the clear plastic tube loose from whatever it connected to at the rear, driver's side of the motor. I can't find any schematic at all that shows how that EGR is plumbed so no idea what it is other than a guess; a redirect of exhaust gases into the exhaust manifold.

This is a flaw in the SRT6. This code pops up constantly on this and other forums/links. Stealerships only answer with "bring it in and we'll take a look." Yah right.....at $100 an hour in the same part change out we can do alone. I wish I could find a flipping schematic for the EGR solenoid plumbing. The only one I can find has the tubing coming off the solenoid but not where they attach. Time to unhook the negative and clear the computer so the damn check engine light goes off for another 100 miles. Tired of it. Worse thing is we sit in the emissions station and watch smoking oil burners driving away with a "passed" paper in their hands and we are sitting there in cherry cars failing. If it wasn't for my mechanic clearing the code for me I would still be trying to pass that test.

Anyone who can find a schematic for that EGR solenoid please get it to me. Maybe that's what my issues is.

I feel your frustration. There are a number of recurring troubles that have the simple fix. Sometimes, another issue causes the problem that is usually fixed by the RCM repair. You also fixed ONE issue, where another was either ready to fail or already failed and the code popped up from that. Lets not shoot a messenger in the forum, the advice and help here is FREE. BTW I have recently seen the RCM for sale (new) for $125 bucks. If after checking through diligence, you find it is not what caused your problem, then just think what it could (or most likely would) have cost you at a dealership or third party mechanic. One of the best advices I can give is make a list of the things happening, and when. Use common language like 'it turns over but does not run'. Just about everyone here who does their own work has taken the time to either acquire or download the multitude of manuals and help topics available. You HAVE to be a little familiar with the manual (service) so you can go to the section related to its assembly/disassembly. The routing of the hoses/tubes you ask about may be in multiple locations (ie engine or emissions). Have you taken this most valuable step? Search is your friend here, I have been stymied by search a few times myself. After this, a dialog of a sort helps narrow down both suggestions and possible solutions. I also suggest you pair up with someone who is a member locally who can help. One thing for sure, if you have little patience, you might likely turn off a lot of people who can help. Good luck with your current issue.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the lecture. I really didn't think I shot any messenger and am clueless as to what or who you refer to. What I did do is express my displeasure at the code and sought a schematic for a EGR solenoid. If people don't like that, that's too bad. I personally don't live my life in a PC world worried about hypersensitive people who draw false conclusions based on non-verbal communication.

I do give credence to your suggestions regarding searching for a schematic, of which I clearly conveyed I was unable to find.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Administrator

I've about had it with this code too. Nothing but a VERY expensive "lets just start replacing stuff" scheme. My car coded and actually the smog pump was dead. No doubt. I tried to jump it through the relay block and nothing. Pulled it out and sure enough it was full of water.
The secondary air pump was full of water or the RCM was full of water?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 PM

The smog pump. From what I read one of two things caused it. A faulty check valve let water usually exhausted back into the pump, or water splashed back up into it. When I pulled it out water poured out of it. Now I'm coding again. Heck...I don't know where to go from here. There's no doubt the smog pump was dead. Maybe the relay is next. This stuff is hard to diagnose.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Well, the SRT pump is totally different from the N/A pump. I cna't remember an N/A pump ever going bad, certainly not as often as the SRT ones do -not that they go out THAT often, just more than the N/As Is it STILL the P0401 code? There is little to the P0401 - it is either a bad pump, the relay on the RCM or the solder on the pins of the connector at the edge of the RCM.

My last limited would fracture the solder about every 18 months - I'd reflow the pins and be good for another year or more. The car I have now I've not had but a year and only 7800 miles - so no issue so far.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Mine is the SRT6. It does look like the next stop for me is the relay. Before I move in that direction I need to run down this solenoid schematic and make sure everything is routed and connected. The smog pump was junk. I followed directions I found in the forum for testing it. It was dead. Now on to the next item.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:52 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Send your RCM to Tighed1. He will re-solder any bad joints, replace any bad relays and test it when done in one of his cars. I think he still charges less than $30 and he's in Sierra Vista, you could walk to his house. He has done them for many members.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Damn, never noticed that we was out in DJ's part of the world.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Well maybe not walking distance, but close.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:12 PM

Jeff,

Yah, it is starting to look like the next step for me is the relay. My car is a daily driver, so I can't really pull it and send it out. I will likely buy one, and then send my other one out for soldering. That way I will have a back up if ever needed.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Thanks for the lecture. I really didn't think I shot any messenger and am clueless as to what or who you refer to. What I did do is express my displeasure at the code and sought a schematic for a EGR solenoid. If people don't like that, that's too bad. I personally don't live my life in a PC world worried about hypersensitive people who draw false conclusions based on non-verbal communication.

I do give credence to your suggestions regarding searching for a schematic, of which I clearly conveyed I was unable to find.

Ok newb, have fun getting your car fixed. I didn't try or attempt to 'lecture' you (as you put it). I'll remember your 'hair trigger' reply to my attempt to help you help yourself, onward. I did not have the schematic you requested (Obviously), and thought it you were waiting on someone else finding and pointing you to its location, I would give you some resources while you were waiting. I can see this failed. Have a nice day!

Your talk about 'hypersensitive' people... " If people don't like that, that's too bad. I personally don't live my life in a PC world worried about hypersensitive people who draw false conclusions based on non-verbal communication. "

I find most people rarely look for answers themselves before asking for others to help. I do not care how much time you spent (if any) looking, I do know when you direct generalities with ramblings, across a wide swath of people, then come back to attack someone who offers help in the form of 'self-help', then I can see you need more help than I am willing to (ever again) offer. Good luck owning and fixing your car, I hope your replies to others are more considerate. I found a few diagrams of what I think might have helped, but your attitude shut my help down onward.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Jeff,

Yah, it is starting to look like the next step for me is the relay. My car is a daily driver, so I can't really pull it and send it out. I will likely buy one, and then send my other one out for soldering. That way I will have a back up if ever needed.
I have the circuit diagrams that I think you are looking for.
I do think you were very harsh on GraphiteGhost in your reply to him, he offered some advice but said he did not have exactly what your were looking for. I sense you are a little peeved and frustrated but that does not excuse your reaction.
For the future record and for your information the info is available on a new thread I have just started. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-27-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:37 PM

I will take a look at your new thread. I suppose I'm a bit testy. I appreciate your comments. I think I found a relay at $90.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:50 PM

Graphiteghost...I'm kind of chuckling here. "Newbe." Sounds like a line out of a chidren's movie. Look....my car is fine and I assure you I will be too. Your little club isn't a great concern to me nor is belonging to it. I'm more than capable of fixing my car. I don't have time to join a click and don't really care to. This is an informational forum in my mind, and rules of protocol aren't of interest to me. You popped in to a blog, you embarked on some lengthy statement about "shooting the messenger" of which made no sense at all, and then got your tail in a knot when it was pointed out it made no sense. I assure you, my car will be just fine and so will I. I'm not here to have lengthy dialogue or write letters. I'm here to give and seek information. As far as the "newbe" label...kind of infantile. If you didn't have the schematic why respond? Finally, I'm a 3.79 *** Laude college graduate in Criminal Law. I don't need to be told to do research or think. And....I've built many cars. There's an answer to everything. Just got to find it.....(;

Last edited by Michael11; 08-27-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I will take a look at your new thread. I suppose I'm a bit testy. I appreciate your comments. I think I found a relay at $90.
We are close!
Where about are ya in Tucson? I was allover Tucson Friday. Coulda swapped out your RCM if you had contacted me.
Scheduled to be there again on the 9th (maybe). If so we could meet up. Eh?

Quick Reply: RCM repair fixes most code P0410 issues?