Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

BAS ESP Light comes on intermittently

Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BAS ESP Light comes on intermittently

Hello,

We recently purchased a 2004 Crossfire. About a week after we had it the BAS ESP light came on. Turning the engine off and restarting makes the light go off. But the light comes on again in a few days. Turning the engine off and restarting still makes the light go off for a period of time. But it continues to come on intermittently.

Connecting an OBDII reader gives a pending code of P0410. I don't know if this is related. It seems to be a separate problem. We have not yet been able to connect the reader while the BAS ESP light is on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can troubleshoot and correct this problem?

Thank you,
John&Terry

Old 09-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: BAS ESP Light comes on intermittently

How are you driving? Any fast corners or wheel slip on take offs? If so the BAS/ESP light could indicate a wheel sensor problem and it will reset itself after some slower driving. Put P0410 in the search box at the top of the forum page and you will get more info than you care to read. It is a common code and repairs are usually simple and not expensive.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM

Thank you. We will try to monitor the driving conditions when the light comes on. But it appears to come on even if the vehicle is not in motion.

Last edited by John&Terry; 09-21-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BAS/ESP lights in most cases the result of a bad sensor somewhere. Sensors are located at all 4 wheels, inside the center console (yaw rate), steering angle, and I may be wrong about this part but there might be sensors in the differential and transmission as well.

You're correct about an ordinary OBDII reader being unable to read those codes. You'd need a reader with ESP libraries for MB models of that time. I've seen people read those codes by setting the reader to SLK320 (obviously) and even C32. That will at least tell which sensor is at fault.

Doing a search here or even in the owners manual you'll find info on how to reset the steering sensor. I guess that works for some but I've never seen that work personally.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Oh I forgot to add...

If you ever watch the show "Wheeler Dealers" they once featured an SLK320 that had the BAS/ESP light on. Their issue was a faulty Yaw sensor in the center console. The video used to be on YouTube but i noticed now it seems to be removed. I found that episode helpful in understanding the Crossfire.

The following users liked this post:
Robgauss (12-30-2023)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:18 PM

Thank you for this additional information.

Thanks to everyone, we are beginning to get enough pieces to the puzzle to start putting together a solution for the BAS/ESP light. Terry is driving the vehicle now, so we will see when the BAS/ESP light comes on again, and try to notice anything that is occurring at the same time.

I have also ordered a code reader (Autel Maxicheck Pro) that is supposed to help diagnose engine, transmission and brake codes on Chrysler and Mercedes, so that may help. We plan to connect the reader to the vehicle while it is being driven and record the sensor data and any associated error codes.

I have also verified that the blower motor is functioning, so I can rule that out when troubleshooting the currently pending P0410 code.

Thank you everyone for your help.

John&Terry

Old 09-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The P0410 is most likely burnt relay contacts on the air pump relay in the RCM.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Thank you, we will check this relay.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You can mail the RCM to D.J. Tighe ( tighed1 ).
send him an email at tighed1@hotmail.com

He'll refurb the solder joints, replace the relay and install the "me so horny" mod for about $25

Old 09-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John&Terry
Hello,

We recently purchased a 2004 Crossfire. About a week after we had it the BAS ESP light came on. Turning the engine off and restarting makes the light go off. But the light comes on again in a few days. Turning the engine off and restarting still makes the light go off for a period of time. But it continues to come on intermittently.

Connecting an OBDII reader gives a pending code of P0410. I don't know if this is related. It seems to be a separate problem. We have not yet been able to connect the reader while the BAS ESP light is on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can troubleshoot and correct this problem?

Thank you,
John&Terry
Have you tried per the Owners Manual page 88 Synchronizing ESP?
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/Run position.
2. Rotate the steering wheel to the center position.
3. Rotate the steering wheel completely to the left, and then rotate the steering wheel completely to the right.
4. Bring the steering back to the center position.
5. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator light will go out.
If it doesn't, then service is needed.

The following users liked this post:
GeorgeHirata (10-07-2022)
Old 09-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill F
Have you tried per the Owners Manual page 88 Synchronizing ESP?
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/Run position.
2. Rotate the steering wheel to the center position.
3. Rotate the steering wheel completely to the left, and then rotate the steering wheel completely to the right.
4. Bring the steering back to the center position.
5. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator light will go out.
If it doesn't, then service is needed.
On the only occasion this light came on for me, I just backed out onto the street and the light went out. I was not going to put black marks on my paving stones by turning the steering wheel stationary. Light out and never seen it again except for the bulb test on start up.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM

TI have also ordered a code reader (Autel Maxicheck Pro) that is supposed to help diagnose engine, transmission and brake codes on Chrysler and Mercedes, so that may help.
Let me know if that reader works out for reading the BAS/ESP codes on XF. I don't have my own reader for that system yet.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:08 AM

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and insights.

The original owner is sending us the owner's manual and spare key.

We just checked the brake light switch and it passed the preliminary pedal depression tests. We will also check the relay board.

We will perform the steering wheel rotation sequence the next time the BAS/ESP light is on.

The light came on again today driving straight at about 35 MPH.

The Autel meter should arrive soon. So we will make use of that, if possible. Either way, I will report on the meter's usefulness.

John&Terry

Old 10-11-2016, 10:22 PM

any update on the meter and problem ?

Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by king happy
any update on the meter and problem ?
Hello,

The Autel meter and we tried it out. In the menu it said it could diagnose the crossfire. It does read the ECM codes tire pressures. But it did not read ABS or TCM codes.

We tried to reset the steering wheel sensors by following the suggested procedure, but the BAS/ESP light still came on after awhile.

We had now grown quite fond of our Crossfire, even with this quirky BAS/ESP light problem. We named her Pearl.

We purchased Pearl at the Mercedes Benz dealer in San Jose, which is about three hours away. They inspected Pearl before the sale and included a 60 day Auto Nation warranty with the purchase. So we decided to bring her to a dealer for service. There was a policy deductible of a couple hundred dollars, but we felt it was worth it to find out what was wrong.

We brought Pearl to the Auto Nation Chrysler dealer in Roseville. They happen to have a mechanic who specializes in Crossfires.

They ran the diagnostics on Pearl. There was a P0410 code which we already knew about and wasn't related to the BAS/ESP light problem. But there were also other trouble codes generated from the ABS and TCM modules. They recommended replacing the relay board, yaw sensor and brake light switch. The cost was $2400.

They contacted the Auto Nation office to get authorization to perform this service under warrany. The service was approved! So they ordered the parts and told us to return in a week.

A week later we returned to the dealer with Pearl. They performed work for about four hours on her.

She is running fine now. No more problem with the BAS/ESP light coming on.

We would like to thank everyone for their advise and assistance with this problem. It helped us to understand what might be causing the problem. And it is a good feeling to know we are not alone.

Thank you,
John and Terry

Old 10-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

They recommended replacing the relay board, yaw sensor and brake light switch. The cost was $2400.
Asinine.

I'm glad the work was covered, but that is just asinine. The P0401 was caused by the relay board, which is repairable and even then, costs less than $150. The yaw sensor and brake light switch are both not expensive parts - and four hours of labor should be $360 to $400.

Let this be a lesson: You do not take these cars to Chrysler dealers (Unless, of course, you have a warranty that covers their unreasonable charges).

Old 10-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Pizza, I get the light now and then and it goes out now and then, does that fit your thinking on the relay module????? I soldered the board in mine but could pull it and clean contacts on relay points if you believe that is the issue. Thanks WDY

Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Pizza, I get the light now and then and it goes out now and then, does that fit your thinking on the relay module????? I soldered the board in mine but could pull it and clean contacts on relay points if you believe that is the issue. Thanks WDY
I was really referring to the P0401 code.

But now that you mention it, I do wonder what the effect of the Traction Control relay being pitted/bad would be?

Looking in the wiring diagrams......

Ok, the module has battery feed from two 40 amp fuses, but then it gets ignition-switched power the the relay on the RCM. This realy DOES NOT only close at 'certain times', but is closed anytime the ignition is on. THEREFORE, I'd think that loosing this power would be an "alarmed" condition.

This makes me answer "yes" to your question.

But we can test this theory:

Get into your RCM and yank Fuse 1 (15 amp, feeds only the Traction Control Relay). I'd bet you that pulling that fuse and starting (or at least DRIVING) the car will set off the light. If it does, then I'd clean up that relay or change it. If it does NOT result in the light coming on, well, we must look elsewhere.

I think our friend in Arizona provided this photo, if so, I'd sure trust it:

Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Just a few days before the Dragon Meet, the same light came on when driving. It has come on and off a few times since. It was fine at the Dragon until coming home and stopping in a rest area. As I slowed down, I noticed it came on. Once leaving it has not come on again. I would like to get to the bottom of this issue as well.

When the light is on, the cruise control will not work.

James

Old 10-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: BAS ESP Light comes on intermittently

I have the light AND my cruise control works???????????Woody

Quick Reply: BAS ESP Light comes on intermittently