Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Help identifying pipe origin & function

Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying pipe origin & function

Found this broken pipe ending in my engine bay while I was troubleshooting my fan control module and I'm wondering if it broke off during the process or if it was already broken when I bought the car. Does anyone know what its purpose is? The pipe stems from a thinnish black steel pipe that originates from the nose of the car. I suspect that its from the aircon condenser. Can anyone confirm? My power steering stopped working a month ago as well FYI. Just DIED out of the blue.

Last edited by ThatMan; 11-29-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Help identifying pipe origin & function

Welcome to the forum !
I'll have to wait for pictures, nothing comes to mind from the description.

UPDATE : I saw the pictures in your gallery.
Does the power steering work ? Could be the return hose for that.
Is there a hose running from the top of the radiator from the large radiator hose to the overflow tank ? Could be that.
Take a picture of the other end of the hose please.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 11-29-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 AM

photos updated. I strongly suspect the power steering.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatMan
photos updated. I strongly suspect the power steering.

Deff not the airconditioning that hose is not for A/C systems. Have to look more and find the other end. You might be right about the P/S BUT you would not have any fluid in your P/S reservoir. Check it, and post a picture of the other end like advised earlier. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM

I found the origin of the pipe. Indeed it originates from the power steering reservoir. There isnt any fluid in the reservoir. Suprising thing is that the power steering and the fan stopped working at exactly the same time. Initially I thought that the serpentine belt had snapped because the power steering stopped working AND the car started overheating. But it seems that it is two separate incidents that just coincidentally occured simultaneously. Is it possible to get the reservoir separately since the pipe broke off there or should I just glue it back on with some industrial grade adhesive since the break has a large enough surface area to allow this. Also, is the power steering pump and reservoir from the R170 SLK or is it different? Last question, is the fan control module also from the R170 or is it unique to the crossfire?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatMan
I found the origin of the pipe. Indeed it originates from the power steering reservoir. There isnt any fluid in the reservoir. Suprising thing is that the power steering and the fan stopped working at exactly the same time. Initially I thought that the serpentine belt had snapped because the power steering stopped working AND the car started overheating. But it seems that it is two separate incidents that just coincidentally occured simultaneously. Is it possible to get the reservoir separately since the pipe broke off there or should I just glue it back on with some industrial grade adhesive since the break has a large enough surface area to allow this. Also, is the power steering pump and reservoir from the R170 SLK or is it different? Last question, is the fan control module also from the R170 or is it unique to the crossfire?

It could be HARD to clean all the 'pentosin' off to get a good seal. I believe the reservoir is replaceable (do not know that part number) BUT I would be a little concerned about the pump/seals throughout running without fluid for so long. If you got moisture in the internals including the steering linkage, it may have started breaking down (rusting) internally. Good luck!