Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Battery Drain

Old 12-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain

I'm new to the Crossfires and have noticed that my battery is almost drained with the car just sitting for 7-8 days. I understand that there are electronics operating after everything is shut down but that seems a little odd? It is a new battery that is 760 CCA.
I have just added a Battery tender to keep the battery up while it is stored over the winter.
Is that a good idea??

Old 12-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Battery Drain

Originally Posted by sshistand@fuse.net
I'm new to the Crossfires and have noticed that my battery is almost drained with the car just sitting for 7-8 days. I understand that there are electronics operating after everything is shut down but that seems a little odd? It is a new battery that is 760 CCA.
I have just added a Battery tender to keep the battery up while it is stored over the winter.
Is that a good idea??
You have a drain somewhere it seems, lots of threads on how to find it. Do it now before your battery gets ruined, or disconnect it. Remember that whatever is draining the battery is working all the time and may get damaged or worn out

Old 12-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You have a drain somewhere it seems, lots of threads on how to find it. Do it now before your battery gets ruined, or disconnect it. Remember that whatever is draining the battery is working all the time and may get damaged or worn out
Or get one of these :
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Termi...V691SC1ZQ2PBYG

Old 12-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Is that a good idea??
Are you savvy with an ammeter?

Old 12-27-2016, 04:38 PM

I know how to use an ammeter. I think you are right in that there must be an unnecessary voltage drain I need to correct. It is not a light of any kind but there is some way to measure it I guess?

Old 12-27-2016, 05:03 PM

I know how to use an ammeter. I think you are right in that there must be an unnecessary voltage drain I need to correct. It is not a light of any kind but there is some way to measure it I guess?
There is a current drain somewhere if the battery is properly charged and up to capacity. Odds are the battery or the cables to it would be at fault. I would start with battery or cables (very common) before hunting down a parasitic draw. (uncommon)

Old 12-27-2016, 08:28 PM

The battery was put in new the day before it was shipped to me about 2 weeks ago. The look new on the outside and I will take them off to check and clean them on the inside.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 PM

The battery was put in new the day before it was shipped to me about 2 weeks ago. The look new on the outside and I will take them off to check and clean them on the inside.
Check the other end of the cables too, it's a known point of corrosion.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

It your battery is being drained like that, you will need a new one before long as storage batteries are not intended to provide light current for a long time, they are designed for HEAVY current for a SHORT time. So get this fixed NOW, and use the battery tender until you DO get it fixed.

My car sits for as long as three weeks at a time and it spins over nicely. The maximum current you should see is .050 amp.

Once you connect the ammeter, close doors and have the key removed from the ignition. You will see up to .180 amp and over the course of maybe a minute or 90 seconds, it should settle at around .040 to .055 amp. If it is higher, start pulling fuses and see where it's going. If all fuses are pulled and you still have flow, it can be leaky diodes in the alternator (remove the heavy B+ cable from the alternator). I also have heard the ABS/Traction control module has caused this on rare occasions.

If there is an aftermarket sound system in the car, look at that first. Most "professional" sound system installation places employ installers with all the technical expertise and experience of a joint-puffing high school kid. It is common for them to reverse the battery and accessory power connections and this leads to excessive current consumption when "off".

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-28-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Just for a check, make sure your light switch is pointing NORTH, not left or right of NORTH.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:07 AM

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I know exactly what the issue is. I also have a Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 coupe & although mechanics managed to get it through an MOT something has been draining the power from the battery. I have seen many threads from owners about this problem. After feeling like putting a hammer through my crossfire many times I finally found a real good auto technician who told me the following;
The car is earthed to the ground - the chassis - pop the hood/bonnet (I am English) look at the battery. Next to the battery is a very small black unit, you can actually follow the positive cable to it - this unit is faulty. A good auto electrician can fix this or order a new one & replace it. I know Mercedes re-called some early SLK units which were constructed with faulty units. As a Crossfire is basically a Mercedes SLK with a different body my money says some Crossfire models went off the ramps before Chrysler realised what was going on. DO NOT replace your alternator - it is not the issue it is this little black box next to the battery 100%.
Hope this helps all
Steven

Old 08-31-2019, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by steven37
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I know exactly what the issue is. I also have a Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 coupe & although mechanics managed to get it through an MOT something has been draining the power from the battery. I have seen many threads from owners about this problem. After feeling like putting a hammer through my crossfire many times I finally found a real good auto technician who told me the following;
The car is earthed to the ground - the chassis - pop the hood/bonnet (I am English) look at the battery. Next to the battery is a very small black unit, you can actually follow the positive cable to it - this unit is faulty. A good auto electrician can fix this or order a new one & replace it. I know Mercedes re-called some early SLK units which were constructed with faulty units. As a Crossfire is basically a Mercedes SLK with a different body my money says some Crossfire models went off the ramps before Chrysler realised what was going on. DO NOT replace your alternator - it is not the issue it is this little black box next to the battery 100%.
Hope this helps all
Steven
The box you refer to is (I assume, correct me if I am wrong) the small cigarette box with the three fuses in it:

200Amp - entire harness of the car except the feed to the alternator, brake pump and engine cooling fan
50Amp - Brake pump
50Amp - Engine cooling fan

The other battery positive cable goes to the starter and then on to the alternator. So, essentially, the entire car's electrical system is fed thru that box, AND, other than cooling fan, brake pump and alternator, the entire car is fed from the 200 amp fuse. Since almost ALL current flowing ("parasitic drain" or otherwise) flows thru that 200 amp fuse, of COURSE you will measure current going to it.

It is easy to pop the cover off, do so, you will see that there are only three fuses in there. The only way current can "leak to ground" in there is thru the plastic body of the box itself.

But since I like watching people learn, I encourage EVERYONE with a battery drain issue to replace that box. Do it first, then report back to this forum with your results.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The box you refer to is (I assume, correct me if I am wrong) the small cigarette box with the three fuses in it:

200Amp - entire harness of the car except the feed to the alternator, brake pump and engine cooling fan
50Amp - Brake pump
50Amp - Engine cooling fan

The other battery positive cable goes to the starter and then on to the alternator. So, essentially, the entire car's electrical system is fed thru that box, AND, other than cooling fan, brake pump and alternator, the entire car is fed from the 200 amp fuse. Since almost ALL current flowing ("parasitic drain" or otherwise) flows thru that 200 amp fuse, of COURSE you will measure current going to it.

It is easy to pop the cover off, do so, you will see that there are only three fuses in there. The only way current can "leak to ground" in there is thru the plastic body of the box itself.

But since I like watching people learn, I encourage EVERYONE with a battery drain issue to replace that box. Do it first, then report back to this forum with your results.

Ya right, you just have to be kidding..... Hahahahahahahaaa

Old 09-02-2019, 02:07 AM

Hi pizza guy. My Crossfire was diagnosed by an auto technician using Mercedes diagnostic equipment which showed that unit was faulty. This is the same unit Mercedes SLK recalled many of their cars back from the production line over. It is now running like a dream after being replaced & loses no power.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:13 AM

Hi Pizza guy, do you have the part # for the box you are referencing. Where did you buy it from? Having the same issue and want to buy it ASAP.
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Went on many websites but this junction box part # 5097284AA is discontinued. Anybody have a place to buy this?

Old 09-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by joseph.longo77@gmail.com
Went on many websites but this junction box part # 5097284AA is discontinued. Anybody have a place to buy this?
You are using the wrong part number, use the Mercedes designated number, 193 545 32 00.
They are on eBay.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:30 PM

thanks 80

Old 09-27-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by joseph.longo77@gmail.com
thanks 80
The Mercedes part number appears on most parts so use this, the parts are cheaper. Mercedes parts starting with the number 193 were specifically made for the Crossfire, they could show up on other Mercedes models at some time. Likewise the Crossfire uses parts from other Mercedes models as can be seen by the first three numbers of the part number.
Basically never use the Chrysler part number, if you were to buy the parts from Chrysler they would source the part from a Mercedes dealer and mark it up by a considerable amount just for putting their part number label over the Mercedes part number label.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Got it thank you!!!

Quick Reply: Battery Drain