Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Rough Idle Post-Cold Air Intake Install

Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle Post-Cold Air Intake Install

Hello everyone. I posted about this on the Facebook group and have gotten mixed responses. Wanted to get the forums opinion.

I received my cold air intake kit from NeedsWings (hey Rob, I need some more decals... they all broke!) and installed it the next day.

All instructions were followed, everything is looking good. After finishing the install, I turned the car on and let it sit for 10 minutes to adjust to the new mod. Right after turning the car on, you could hear odd sounds coming from the engine bay and the exhaust. It was a rough idle noise and sounded as if the engine was gasping for air while the exhaust was making very tiny backfiring noises? Anyway, took the car for a spin and drove for about 20 minutes. Seemed to get a little better but something wasn't right. I figured if I drove it more, everything would adjust to the new airflow. Went out with some buddies that night to a car meet. The car stalled when at a red light. Just before I was getting ready to race somewhere, the car stalled again while just driving casually out of a parking lot. I got home and figured tomorrow is another day.

The next day check engine light came on (4 codes) and I realized I forgot to tighten down the bolts around the MAF... popped the hood and one bolt fell off. I went to a store, found the exact bolts/screws in SS, put them on and tightened up as much as I could. Still having an idling issue. I went to an auto store and picked up a can of the MAF cleaner spray. Took the MAF out, gave it about 10 sprays and reinstalled it (yes, I tightened the bolts up this time). I noticed the car was running A LOT better now. There seemed to hardly be any weird noises or car shakes when the car was in park and I didn't feel much when coming to a stop in drive. I cleared all check engine light codes.

About an hour later I felt it again when coming to a stop at a red light. Let go of break a little to move up, car stalled out. Next red light, car shaking, RPM moving up and down a little, car just felt rough when stopped. Check engine light is back on now. Checked the codes, I'm down to 3 instead of 4... yay, I fixed something earlier! One code is just for the pedal... no big deal right now. The 2 codes related to all this are P0171 and P0174.

I'm at a loss on what to do... the Facebook group is saying make sure everything is tightened down which they are, it's a vacuum leak or I need to do the tune for it to be able to handle it.

Has anyone had these idle issue after installing their cold air intake?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Rough Idle Post-Cold Air Intake Install

Originally Posted by coryforman
Hello everyone. I posted about this on the Facebook group and have gotten mixed responses. Wanted to get the forums opinion.

I received my cold air intake kit from NeedsWings (hey Rob, I need some more decals... they all broke!) and installed it the next day.

All instructions were followed, everything is looking good. After finishing the install, I turned the car on and let it sit for 10 minutes to adjust to the new mod. Right after turning the car on, you could hear odd sounds coming from the engine bay and the exhaust. It was a rough idle noise and sounded as if the engine was gasping for air while the exhaust was making very tiny backfiring noises? Anyway, took the car for a spin and drove for about 20 minutes. Seemed to get a little better but something wasn't right. I figured if I drove it more, everything would adjust to the new airflow. Went out with some buddies that night to a car meet. The car stalled when at a red light. Just before I was getting ready to race somewhere, the car stalled again while just driving casually out of a parking lot. I got home and figured tomorrow is another day.

The next day check engine light came on (4 codes) and I realized I forgot to tighten down the bolts around the MAF... popped the hood and one bolt fell off. I went to a store, found the exact bolts/screws in SS, put them on and tightened up as much as I could. Still having an idling issue. I went to an auto store and picked up a can of the MAF cleaner spray. Took the MAF out, gave it about 10 sprays and reinstalled it (yes, I tightened the bolts up this time). I noticed the car was running A LOT better now. There seemed to hardly be any weird noises or car shakes when the car was in park and I didn't feel much when coming to a stop in drive. I cleared all check engine light codes.

About an hour later I felt it again when coming to a stop at a red light. Let go of break a little to move up, car stalled out. Next red light, car shaking, RPM moving up and down a little, car just felt rough when stopped. Check engine light is back on now. Checked the codes, I'm down to 3 instead of 4... yay, I fixed something earlier! One code is just for the pedal... no big deal right now. The 2 codes related to all this are P0171 and P0174.

I'm at a loss on what to do... the Facebook group is saying make sure everything is tightened down which they are, it's a vacuum leak or I need to do the tune for it to be able to handle it.

Has anyone had these idle issue after installing their cold air intake?
You hooked up the hose from the valve cover to the intake I guess?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Right side you see the hose clamp is where the new hose starts, goes down to left, you'll see other hose clamp.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

I am hoping you didn't leave a rag in the TB, sans that information I would suggest you completely remove the CAI and start over. At first I wondered if you had removed the TB and let the 'O' ring fall loose before putting it back on (air intake leak). Re-reading your post, it doesn't say you removed the TB. Before removing/reinstalling I would try a few small bursts of carb cleaner here and there while the engine is running, to check for a large intake leak. Hope you find out what is wrong, good luck.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Right side you see the hose clamp is where the new hose starts, goes down to left, you'll see other hose clamp.
How good a seal is that clamp on the throttle body making while riding up on the elbow tube ? Looks to me like it was pushed in too far.. As in clamp the throttle body side "then" insert the elbow?

Last edited by Mrmiata; 02-26-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
How good a seal is that clamp on the throttle body making while riding up on the elbow tube ? Looks to me like it was pushed in too far.. As in clamp the throttle body side "then" insert the elbow?

It was that clamp. You're the best!

It feels good to have a normal idle, no stalling and of course... more power now. Thank you!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It feels good to have a normal idle, no stalling and of course... more power now. Thank you!
Glad you shared that picture! I noticed the little bit of crimp in that hose.. but thought meh.. THEN saw the clamp looks somewhat crooked and windowed in on it.. Having the Needswings elbow setup to eventually play around on an intake.. and extra throttle bodies doesn't hurt.. LOL

Old 02-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Glad you shared that picture! I noticed the little bit of crimp in that hose.. but thought meh.. THEN saw the clamp looks somewhat crooked and windowed in on it.. Having the Needswings elbow setup to eventually play around on an intake.. and extra throttle bodies doesn't hurt.. LOL
All bow in the presence of the mighty Gregmeister !!
( Good job Greg ).

Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

As Red Green always said, 'If you aren't good looking be handy'. Mr M fits the bill to a T.