Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Chinese Starter ? Or is it the Alternator (again)

Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Chinese Starter ? Or is it the Alternator (again)

I had to have my alternator rebuilt about six months ago and has been performing with no issues. We replaced the starter on the rescue SRT with a Chinese unit two days ago and replaced the battery. She spins up nicely and cranks like she is supposed to, however, now, upon spirited accelleration, I see the battery indicator light up on the dash as if the alternator has failed. Upon lowering the RPM's, at around 2200, the light goes out as if all is well, but I think things are not all well. Any ideas will be appreciated. Peace

Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
I had to have my alternator rebuilt about six months ago and has been performing with no issues. We replaced the starter on the rescue SRT with a Chinese unit two days ago and replaced the battery. She spins up nicely and cranks like she is supposed to, however, now, upon spirited accelleration, I see the battery indicator light up on the dash as if the alternator has failed. Upon lowering the RPM's, at around 2200, the light goes out as if all is well, but I think things are not all well. Any ideas will be appreciated. Peace
Do you have torque app and the obd bluetooth adapter?
Can pull up a voltage gauge and see if there is a drop in voltage at higher rpm.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Chinese Starter ? or Is it the Alternator (again)

Slipping belt or bad alternator. Simple as that.

(And it probably is NOT a slipping belt -my rebuilt alternator lasted less than three months.)

Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks 'yall, I suspected a slipping belt, and it felt tight and dry (non-oily). I do have a obd scanner that will display the output voltage throughout the rpm range to determine if it is putting out too much or too little, so I will check that as well.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

The alternator consists of two parts, the alternator itself and the voltage regulator that is bolted to the rear of the alternator. Either part could fail and the voltage regulator can be replaced on its own if required.
Failure of the regulator is most often called a alternator failure by mistake.

To the detriment of all of us many company's have sourced their products from China, I have decided to cut out the middle man and buy direct from China if possible. You can buy the same equivalent thing that is sold under a familiar name for less under a Chinese brand name and in many cases the price includes shipping.
These western companies showed the Chinese how to make these things and they learnt well, just like the Japanese did. Serves them right they gave away our jobs, we owe these companies nothing. I say **** them all. If an item says made in China you can likely buy something equal direct from China and save.
Use eBay and filter out all countries but China. You will be amazed what is there.
Rant over.