Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SKREEM replaced RCM rebuilt still won't start

Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SKREEM replaced RCM rebuilt still won't start BUMP 4/3/17 still need help

Back in November I had the three start and die then locked out problem that seemed to indicate a bad SKREEM module. After talking with SOS diagnostics in Oregon, they felt it was the SKREEM and asked me to send them my SKREEM, ECM, and keys. I did so and they confirmed a bad SKREEM module. They got a new module from Mercedes, reprogrammed it to work with my ECM and keys, and tested everything in their car to ensure it was working properly. Upon receiving the parts back from them, my Crossfire wouldn't even attempt to start. All electronics worked, new SKREEM beeped at me, mileage flashed on the odometer, etc. However, the starter wouldn't even attempt to spin. No clicking, no spinning, no engagement of the starter of any kind.

Because of known problems with the RCM, I removed it and sent it to DJ for him to rebuild and do the me so horny mod to. Upon receiving it back from him, the horn mod works fine, all electrical works, car still makes no attempt to start.

I contacted SOS Diagnostics about the situation and they requested I send the new SKREEM, my ECM, and keys back to them for a re-test. Just got an email from them that they put the parts in their Crossfire and it starts up no problem.

I'm at a loss. Why would my car do the three starts and die before replacing the SKREEM and now not even attempt to start? Why would my parts work in SOS's Crossfire but not my car.

Due to horror stories here, I'm not inclined to have the car towed to a dealer. The blue book on the car is maybe $5,000 so it seems ridiculous to throw $2,000 at trying to have the car fixed.

Curious if any of you here have any suggestions or ideas. The no crank could obviously be the starter itself, solenoid, or even the clutch pedal switch. However, it seems like a slim chance that any of those would have gone out while the ECM and SKREEM were being worked on in Oregon.

Completely at a loss here...

Last edited by thegreatjustino; 04-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM replaced RCM rebuilt still won't start

Originally Posted by thegreatjustino
Back in November I had the three start and die then locked out problem that seemed to indicate a bad SKREEM module. After talking with SOS diagnostics in Oregon, they felt it was the SKREEM and asked me to send them my SKREEM, ECM, and keys. I did so and they confirmed a bad SKREEM module. They got a new module from Mercedes, reprogrammed it to work with my ECM and keys, and tested everything in their car to ensure it was working properly. Upon receiving the parts back from them, my Crossfire wouldn't even attempt to start. All electronics worked, new SKREEM beeped at me, mileage flashed on the odometer, etc. However, the starter wouldn't even attempt to spin. No clicking, no spinning, no engagement of the starter of any kind.

Because of known problems with the RCM, I removed it and sent it to DJ for him to rebuild and do the me so horny mod to. Upon receiving it back from him, the horn mod works fine, all electrical works, car still makes no attempt to start.

I contacted SOS Diagnostics about the situation and they requested I send the new SKREEM, my ECM, and keys back to them for a re-test. Just got an email from them that they put the parts in their Crossfire and it starts up no problem.

I'm at a loss. Why would my car do the three starts and die before replacing the SKREEM and now not even attempt to start? Why would my parts work in SOS's Crossfire but not my car.

Due to horror stories here, I'm not inclined to have the car towed to a dealer. The blue book on the car is maybe $5,000 so it seems ridiculous to throw $2,000 at trying to have the car fixed.

Curious if any of you here have any suggestions or ideas. The no crank could obviously be the starter itself, solenoid, or even the clutch pedal switch. However, it seems like a slim chance that any of those would have gone out while the ECM and SKREEM were being worked on in Oregon.

Completely at a loss here...
I find it strange that by coincidence that they have a Crossfire on which to test the modules. Maybe they have access to one.
Have you had a scanner look for any codes?
Have you plugged the halo into the SKREEM? That may be a dumb question but who knows.
You should have come here earlier, NeedsWing does the SKREEM for less than $250 including the halo, how does that compare to SOS?
Did you damage the halo?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 PM

SOS charged $400. I got their name from one of the various SKREEM threads here on the board.

Can you elaborate on the halo?

I've read about a single wire from the ignition switch also possibly being a culprit. Is that what you're referring to?

Depends on what scanner you're referring to. I know there is a scanner that tests the SKREEM (DRBIII ), I don't have access to that. Despite the car not starting, I did plug in my OBD2 scanner and I'm getting a generic 0 dtc code that has no definition.

Last edited by thegreatjustino; 03-22-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 PM

SOS charged $400. I got their name from one of the various SKREEM threads here on the board.

Can you elaborate on the halo?

I've read about a single wire from the ignition switch also possibly being a culprit. Is that what you're referring to?

Depends on what scanner you're referring to. I know there is a scanner that tests the SKREEM (DRBIII ), I don't have access to that. Despite the car not starting, I did plug in my OBD2 scanner and I'm getting a generic 0 dtc code that has no definition.
There is a ring that goes around the ignition switch and from that there is a wire that goes to the SKREEM. If that wire is not connected or is damaged the car will not start. Frankly I do not know if your new symptoms fit the halo absence or not, just a guess really.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 PM

Just went and checked the halo wire.

It's a black wire with a two pin connector at the end that plugs into the SKREEM. For some reason for the last 1/2 inch before the connector, there is a wire that comes out of it that has no insulation on it. Both this wire and the wire with the insulation go into the connector to the SKREEM.

At the ignition switch side, the wire is still connected. Oddly I can grab the ignition switch and rubber grommet in the dash and rotate the "halo" by hand. I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not. The tumbler for the key doesn't turn nor does the ignition switch itself, but the halo that the wire is connected to will rotate around the switch. Again, I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:33 PM

Just went and checked the halo wire.

It's a black wire with a two pin connector at the end that plugs into the SKREEM. For some reason for the last 1/2 inch before the connector, there is a wire that comes out of it that has no insulation on it. Both this wire and the wire with the insulation go into the connector to the SKREEM.

At the ignition switch side, the wire is still connected. Oddly I can grab the ignition switch and rubber grommet in the dash and rotate the "halo" by hand. I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not. The tumbler for the key doesn't turn nor does the ignition switch itself, but the halo that the wire is connected to will rotate around the switch. Again, I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
As the wire is attached to the halo and the SKREEM I cannot see how it turns.
See the sticky ignition key fix for pictures of it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-22-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 PM

SKREEM is not in the car. It's in Oregon at SOS Diagnostics.

Regardless, there's enough slack in the wire that it would rotate even if it was plugged into the SKREEM.

When I grab the rubber grommet around the ignition switch at the dash and turn, it will rotate around the tumbler where the key goes in and the location where the wire is attached to it will rotate behind the dash.

Looking at the ignition switch from the driver seat, there is a silver ring around the tumbler where the key goes that has a small (1/32") slit in the plastic. This silver ring is surrounded by the rubber grommet I'm talking about. Grabbing the rubber grommet with two hands and rotating will rotate both the grommet and silver ring. The little slit in the silver ring is now sitting at the eight o'clock position whereas it was always at the six o'clock position for all the years I owned the car.

Again, I have no idea if this ring is supposed to rotate at all. The ignition switch itself is not rotating. Just eh ring and grommet - both outside and inside the dash. Inside the dash, the connection point with the wire is also rotating, so the wire is connected to the ring.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 PM

In reading through the Sticky Key tech article, I am turning the transponder ring. Seems like it turning is normal since it can be removed without removing the ignition switch.

Is there a way to test the transponder ring?

Old 04-03-2017, 09:32 PM

Still need help with this. Called a dozen mechanics here in town, not a single one of them will work on it.

Sent the SKREEM, ECM, and keys back to SOS. They confirmed they work on their car.

How do you test the halo? What else would cause a zero attempt to start issue. I can hear the fuel pump come on, all other electronics work. Acts like the clutch pedal isn't pressed in when it is.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM

bumping this again. No one has any suggestions or experienced this before?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A skreem problem gives you 2-3 "almost started" attempts.. a bad RCM give you zero.. Just a thought..

Old 04-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Both have been rebuilt and replaced

Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

where are you located?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM

Stockton, CA

Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I find it strange that by coincidence that they have a Crossfire on which to test the modules. Maybe they have access to one.
Have you had a scanner look for any codes?
Have you plugged the halo into the SKREEM? That may be a dumb question but who knows.
You should have come here earlier, NeedsWing does the SKREEM for less than $250 including the halo, how does that compare to SOS?
Did you damage the halo?
We actually have 2 for testing modules on. It makes it much easier to prove functionality. The price included testing, parts, programming, and verification.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

sosxfire, how do you test a Skreem module if it is vin specific to another vehicle in one of your two Crossfires? I'm confused.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

This is really basic but did you atempt to start with both keys?

there is always a chance thebchip inside thebfob came loose and is wedged at the back of thebfob. This will impact the halo

trust me it happened to me.

Inchanged several items only to discover it was the chip in the fob

Old 03-03-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
This is really basic but did you atempt to start with both keys?

there is always a chance thebchip inside thebfob came loose and is wedged at the back of thebfob. This will impact the halo

trust me it happened to me.

Inchanged several items only to discover it was the chip in the fob

You are replying to a two year old thread that has long been resolved.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Thank you for letting me know that it has been resolved. Recently the electric and no start issues i.e.the RCM, SKREEM and key Fobs have become major causes of concern

I wonder if anyone read my recent reply to the 2 year old thread and said “hey that’s great to know, I’ll try a simple 0$ fix before I buy a bunch of items that may not correct the problem”

I posted my reply to the “resolved thread” a few weeks ago and it would appear as though though you took the time to both read and reply.

Perhaps the suggestion worked for someone.

I was was never expecting a reply, just sharing

regards
Peter

Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 AM

You are replying to a two year old thread that has long been resolved.
Where do we find out what the solution was?