Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Convertible top issues

Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top issues

Just bought this "fixer upper " 06 crossfire .Dealing with hand full of issues and one being the convertible top will not go down .This car like others has the back window issue .At some point the previous owner tried to fix the window by using foam weather stripping from home depot .Well obviously that did not work and the according to the previous owner the top stopped working because the trunk got flooded with water a few months ago when we got hit with all that rain in So Cal .After reading about top problems I realize that the o-rings in the hydraulics seems to be the number one problem .After seeing the price tag on cylinder rebuilding I am hoping it is a electrical issue not a hydraulic issue. My question is has anybody else had water damage mess with the top operation? If so how to fix ?

Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top issues

It happens often.

To fix: Tear out the trim in the trunk, all of it. Get to the modules and determine if they got wet. IF so, toss all modules and parts away that got wet and either order new or go to a junk yard and get what you need.

I also tell people to keep in mind that the electrical connectors will be corroded if they got wet. If it happened to me, I'd bring home the last 3-4 feet of the junk car's wiring harness as well. Splice the "new" wiring into your car's harness, throwing away the old corroded connectors and last few feet of wire that was exposed to the water.

You can try various shortcuts, like not replacing the wiring and trying to clean the terminals on the end of the wires (forgetting that the same corrosion has formed between the wires and terminals as has formed between the connector terminals on the module and the end of the wire - you can't clean the contact area under the crimps of the terminals). But, go ahead, try to reuse the old wiring/connectors. It make even work - today. In time, the corrosion will take it's toll and you will be posting more frustrating questions on here...............

Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top issues

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
It happens often.

To fix: Tear out the trim in the trunk, all of it. Get to the modules and determine if they got wet. IF so, toss all modules and parts away that got wet and either order new or go to a junk yard and get what you need.

I also tell people to keep in mind that the electrical connectors will be corroded if they got wet. If it happened to me, I'd bring home the last 3-4 feet of the junk car's wiring harness as well. Splice the "new" wiring into your car's harness, throwing away the old corroded connectors and last few feet of wire that was exposed to the water.

You can try various shortcuts, like not replacing the wiring and trying to clean the terminals on the end of the wires (forgetting that the same corrosion has formed between the wires and terminals as has formed between the connector terminals on the module and the end of the wire - you can't clean the contact area under the crimps of the terminals). But, go ahead, try to reuse the old wiring/connectors. It make even work - today. In time, the corrosion will take it's toll and you will be posting more frustrating questions on here...............

Plus one on what PG posted! Many do not realize water WILL 'wick' up the wires many inches into the insulation. That water/corrosion will eat away the copper and cause you no end of problems. Good luck on finding the cause and handling accordingly (especially if modules got ruined).

Old 03-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: Convertible top issues

Sorry to hear about window & flooding. If you are not familiar with this, under the luggage comp. (trunk; right side) is the locking control pump/security module, an electronic & pneumatic system, (if I described it correctly). Water in here is known to do damage, a priority problem over actual top operation. Fortunately I have not yet had to deal with this, lots of info here, (sorry I don't know how to do the links.) Where in SoCal are you?
I believe pizzaguy & GraphiteGhost are very knowledgeable on top issues. Please follow up with what you find and do, good luck.