Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Affect of a dead battery

Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affect of a dead battery

Hello Xfire fun-seekers:
Two questions:
1) Did I just not drive it far enough to fully charge the battery or might there be something wrong with the alternator? I don't think there were any warning lights.

2) Would the dead (the clock stopped) but not removed battery cause problems and if yes would that be screwing up its ability to fully charge the battery?

Details:
This is a fabulous resource but I cannot find anyone asking my two questions.

I know that removing the battery can screw with our babies (computer issues?) but what happens if the battery is just run down to nothing (sitting for many months with tender not connected).

We started my 2004 coupe with a boost and ran it gently for awhile then another 50 kms (30 miles) at about 80 kms per hour (30 mph) and it seemed to be running normally.

But, when I got back, the battery was charged enough to turn on the lights and all but not enough to start the car. Before I turned off the car, I noticed that the exterior running lights and instrument panel lights were flickering. The car was covered with a dust cover in an underground garage for several months. I wonder if the alternator was affected by rising damp.

Any guidance you can provide is most welcome.
Spring is here, finally, and I am looking forward to getting my baby back on the road.

Thanks all!
Crossfire Maggie

Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Affect of a dead battery

I know it's expensive, but I would start with a new, fully charged battery that measures at least 12.1 volts with everything off.
( or maybe you can borrow one from another vehicle just for a test ? )
Then start the engine and measure again, should be 13.8 - 14.2 volts.
If not, then alternator needs attention.

NOTE: batteries that are allowed to go completely flat are often not recoverable.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-16-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Ala:
Thanks for your suggestion.
"NOTE: batteries that are allowed to go completely flat are often not recoverable."
Will have my mechanic check it out soon.
Thanks much!
Maggie

Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A $6 battery tender from Harbor Freight is cheap insurance. I have 2, one for the Xfire and one on the garden tractor.