TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Front License Plate Bracket???

Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front License Plate Bracket???

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, we bought a excellent little roadster (from Ohio) last month and here, in Michigan, cars are allowed to run free and almost wild! (only the back plate is needed). We have a very nice black plastic lic. plate bracket, anyone interested?
Currently we have to patch the holes left by the sad experience of drilling/defacing which was done to the bumper. The real heartbreaker is our car was used by an employee here in Detroit area, bought by a broker, sent to Ohio and sold there. If only it had stayed in Michigan it wouldn't have suffered the pain of being drilled on. And maybe the broker or dealer wouldn't have taken the Nav CD's as well.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

Illinois law says front plate must be displayed. I say no way.
I refuse to drill holes in my bumper. I will gladly pay the fine before I will deface my Crossfire.
I do carry the front plate under my floormat inside the car.
If I get stopped I will tell the cop that I am waiting for my mounting plate to come in to Chrysler. He doesn't need to know that it is on a shelf in my garage and came with the car but had not been installed by the previous owner either. He never received a ticket and also lives in Illinois.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (99.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 PM

if I repeat any info, please forgive me here. I live in Colorado and it is also required to have a front license plate bracket. Because of such you should be able to take it to a dealer, buy the bracket and they should put it on for free because if not, they are allowing you to drive an "unsafe" or "unroadworthy" vehicle.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I refuse to drill holes in my bumper. I will gladly pay the fine before I will deface my Crossfire.
If I get stopped I will tell the cop that I am waiting for my mounting plate to come in to Chrysler. He doesn't need to know that it is on a shelf in my garage and came with the car but had not been installed by the previous owner either. He never received a ticket and also lives in Illinois.
This won't fly where I live. My brother is an officer and he has heard that excuse a billion times. The fine here is $165 and no way out of it!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Wow...I feel sorry for you all...here in michigan front plates are not required. (potholes the size of dumpsters knock them off)!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by typhoon
This won't fly where I live. My brother is an officer and he has heard that excuse a billion times. The fine here is $165 and no way out of it!
I don't expect the law man to believe me either but if he won't buy into it then I will gladly pay the $75.00 fine.
Second offense $100 now that's starting to suck.
I may reconsider an install before a third offense though.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Valkry stay out of Elburn on the weekend of the Bloomington gold show at Pheasant run. The Corvette folks cruise through Elburn on the Weekend of the show and the Elburn cops made a statement last year and this year that they would ticket any and all cars they saw with no front plate. That was of course aimed at the Corvette crowd, but they can't be discriminatory. I'm sure they wouldn't mind throwing a Crossfire in the mix just to show they don't discriminate. That being said I don't plan to run mine either.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Xfire fan
Valkry stay out of Elburn on the weekend of the Bloomington gold show at Pheasant run. The Corvette folks cruise through Elburn on the Weekend of the show and the Elburn cops made a statement last year and this year that they would ticket any and all cars they saw with no front plate. That was of course aimed at the Corvette crowd, but they can't be discriminatory. I'm sure they wouldn't mind throwing a Crossfire in the mix just to show they don't discriminate. That being said I don't plan to run mine either.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you live near there ??

Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapp's yellow CF
Hi, we bought a excellent little roadster (from Ohio) last month and here, in Michigan, cars are allowed to run free and almost wild! (only the back plate is needed). We have a very nice black plastic lic. plate bracket, anyone interested?
Currently we have to patch the holes left by the sad experience of drilling/defacing which was done to the bumper. The real heartbreaker is our car was used by an employee here in Detroit area, bought by a broker, sent to Ohio and sold there. If only it had stayed in Michigan it wouldn't have suffered the pain of being drilled on. And maybe the broker or dealer wouldn't have taken the Nav CD's as well.
Update: I went to the local hardware store bought (for $0.85 each) the little black plastic plugs meant for car interior attachments. They work like a porcupine quill. We put a base coat on then the touch up paint, several coats, then used them to plug the holes in our bumper. A cheap fix as bumperplugs.com wanted $49 for the pair (yellow is a custom mix color). I expect them to last one season or so, but at that price, I'm happy to do it again. You need short ones that fit the size holes drilled into the bumper. These plugs have a flat "head" so that you don't have too much sticking out. Buy 4 of them so that when you mangle the first one or two you have the others ready to complete the job instead of going back to the store buying more/painting. On another note, a friend of a friend made copies of the Nav CD's for us which work very nicely. The "certified dealer" who sold the car, to the person we bought it from, was pulling a fast one as part of being "certified" is that used cars are sold in "new" condition. I bet the Nav CD's were taken by someone who sold them on Ebay.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Do you live near there ??
I'm in Batavia.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most states that require front plates can not pull you over for not having one. They have to catch you doing something else. I refuse to put one which is required in Texas. I have lived here ten years and have never had a front plate on any of my cars. It was only mentioned once by a State Trooper who got me for speeding. I got lucky with the Crossfire I just bought. It never had the front plate put on.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Several times a week I find myself stopped at an intersection for a traffic light in front of a nice home where a Summit County Sheriffs Deputy must live. I've come to that conclusion because I've noticed a cruiser in the driveway more than a half a dozen times in the past, and there is usually a big Ford suv parked next to the garage with a police badge bolted to the rear license plate, (hiding the 1st. few #'s).
Well yesterday I was sitting in front of the house waiting for the light to change as usual and sure enough, cruiser in the driveway, suv next to the garage but this time the garage door was open. There sat a fairly new Corvette backed into the bay and guess what? No front plate!
I guess it just goes to show that the "rules" change depending which side of the "badge" you're on.
I'll bet the rear plate on the Vette has the same badge on it also, covering some of its letters (which by the way is against the law too).

Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Ma. no front plate is a stoppable offense. Course nothing surprises me here as far as wacky laws go. It's hard to believe we were the birthplace of democracy in this country.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the dealer put mine on a couple days ago. I have an invoice with a part number if anyone wants to know it. They used self tapping screws.
The bracket is formed to fit perfect over the center line of the bumper and is also formed on the sides to fit the bevel profile on the bumpers. It does not look that bad...I will post pics this weekend.
In Minnesota you can and will get pulled over for a ticket, it happened to me and the officer wasn't going to listen to any 'excuses'. Says he heard them all before.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Forum Regular

i took mine off today to much wind drag LOL, it is a plastic plate holder from the dealer / factory.
they do fit well though 2 mount holes.
i wished they would have left the thing in the trunk,
but someone at the dealer wanted their plates on it i guess, advertisement ...
now i have to fill in the hole's might use black screws
or the little plastic interior / door clips to close up the hole's.
used them on my '04 GT mustang. LOL.

Last edited by huudoo; 10-10-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion on how to fill the ugly holes left by a front plate mount. I just bought an SRT6 in Chicago to take back to MI. First act is to remove the front bracket. I'll try the trick with painting the plastic "porcupine" studs.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried body filler or even caulk, then painting it?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:41 PM

I am so mad! The dealer installed my front plate holder crooked! I took it off and sure enough there were to ugly holes int he bumper. I rearranged the plate to be centered witht he grill and bumper.. Thankfully the left edge of the plate holder is just outside of the left hole they drilled covering up the hole. If the hole was just 1 centermet more left it would not be covered by the plate holder..

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Crossfire Trail
Hello the wire! Please excuse me but I am new to this forum and the Crossfire as well, I have an 04 Alabaster Coupe, auto trans. w/ drk. grey and cedar interior. Bought it with 12,000 miles on it and absolutely LOVE it. It came with a front plate bracket, I took it off and glued studs in the holes, I did the same with a PT Cruiser that I traded for the Crossfire. Have not been stopped EVER. If someone wants the bracket, I'll sell it for $20.
I think you need to make your font larger!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm here in Little Rhody where we have to run a front plate. I bought my Xfire used so it already had the stock bracket installed. Now call me a cheap old SOB, but I pay dearly for my vanity plates and I'm damn well gonna display both of them!

Peace
Paul

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Bracket???