TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Front License Plate Bracket???

Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket???

2 Weeks ago I bought a '04 coupe w/4K miles on it and so far I absolutely love it. Got the new tags for it today and since the temp tag was a rear only I did not pay that much attention to the front. I walked around to put the front tag on and discovered there is no bracket on the front nor holes in the bumper to attach a bracket or a plate. As much as I hate to put front plates on vehicle, the lovely Buckeye state (no weather jokes please) insists that it be done. Those of you who have front plates and/or brackets, how are they attached, is there a Chrysler part I'll have to buy or does something attach to the grill or what? (I have looked through the gallery and it looks like there must be holes in the bumper that are drilled (ugh) or something...). Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Default Re: Front License Plate Bracket???

Originally Posted by bflinn
2 Weeks ago I bought a '04 coupe w/4K miles on it and so far I absolutely love it. Got the new tags for it today and since the temp tag was a rear only I did not pay that much attention to the front. I walked around to put the front tag on and discovered there is no bracket on the front nor holes in the bumper to attach a bracket or a plate. As much as I hate to put front plates on vehicle, the lovely Buckeye state (no weather jokes please) insists that it be done. Those of you who have front plates and/or brackets, how are they attached, is there a Chrysler part I'll have to buy or does something attach to the grill or what? (I have looked through the gallery and it looks like there must be holes in the bumper that are drilled (ugh) or something...). Thanks in advance.
I second this! I need to put mine on as well.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, if you MUST put a plate in front, you will have to buy the bracket, and you will have to drill or use self tapping screws on the bumper.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Red face Re: Front License Plate Bracket???

Originally Posted by bflinn
As much as I hate to put front plates on vehicle, the lovely Buckeye state (no weather jokes please) insists that it be done.
i live in columbus, ohio and refuse to deface my crossfire or any other car i own... 15 years & no tickets... knock on wood.

i guess i know where to drive & where not to drive w/o a front plate... suburb wise.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 AM

bflinn, I hate to have to put holes in my bumper also. I have a new Crossfire and I'm working on a License plate bracket that is not attached to the front bumper, but is attached lower. I am hoping to have it done in a couple of weeks and will post pictures then.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Cruizer
bflinn, I hate to have to put holes in my bumper also. I have a new Crossfire and I'm working on a License plate bracket that is not attached to the front bumper, but is attached lower. I am hoping to have it done in a couple of weeks and will post pictures then.
Sick let us know!! =)

Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 AM

do a search:
"license mount"
"whale tail" started a thread "newbie question"
fourth post in I describe what I did.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM

If I can add my 2 cents:

Pre-drill the holes in the mounting plate, then find the spot on the bumper where it sits nice and level and also centered on the "point" in the middle of the bumper.

Next, I used aluminum tape that is sold to be used around new door and window installations to hold the plate in place and to make sure it looks straight and even.

Hold you breath, pre-drill thru to the bumper and use 1 5/8 stainless sheet metal screws.

Dont over tighten!

It was scary, but worked out OK.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

Great. Thanks . I wasn't into the drilling and tapping and other options and you have provided a real solution. I esp. like the "no touch" part. Thanks. I have posted his "answer" (re-dacted) below which appears to be a great idea (haven't tried it and can't say it works). I'll let you know what I learn as I try the same. BTW, I ABSOLUTELY HATE the front plate thing, but as a Fed LE Agent I understand its importance and will make an attempt to obey the law and maintain a clean Xfire. Thanks again.

***potential solution***
I fabricated 2 brackets (1/8 x 3/4 stock) with 3 bends in each. The bracket feeds through the lower opening of the upper grille. There are 3 bends in each, 3 holes in each. Behind the grille in the center area are twin horns, each mounted with a fixed bolt. I removed the nuts and mounted my brackets on the bolts.
The other ends of the brackets fit and mount to the back of the license bracket. NOTHING TOUCHES THE VEHICLE EXCEPT AT THE HORN MOUNT. I did cut a piece of foam to fit the back lower area of the license bracket to make sure wind driving pressure does not push it back. I have about 1/2" clearances.
The fabricated brackets are assembled to the license bracket first, then fed through the grille openings, and mounted to the horn bolts.
***end of potential solution***

Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Forum Regular

bflinn,

Any pics? I may have to use this same solution when I move to the DC area.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
i live in columbus, ohio and refuse to deface my crossfire or any other car i own... 15 years & no tickets... knock on wood.

i guess i know where to drive & where not to drive w/o a front plate... suburb wise.
Don't go around the short north/arena district - I got caught after 2 3/4 years without a plate. Haven't added one yet, but I'm hunting for a good mounting option.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ohiofire
Don't go around the short north/arena district - I got caught after 2 3/4 years without a plate. Haven't added one yet, but I'm hunting for a good mounting option.
Look for a new posting next week. Others have asked for more details about my mount, which does not add holes to the car at all. I'll try to get to it next week, as a new thread.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Thanks ... I'll check back.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM

I have one from my '05 roadster and will give it to the first person that e-mails me their address.

andrew_onorio_sr@hotmail.com

Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Colorado Cruizer posted photo's of his "custom" front plate in the "Test Forum" just in case anybody missed it.
I think it looks pretty good.
If push comes to shove for me here in Ohio (home of the **** Troopers) I may finally have to install my plate in that same location.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Here is my front license plate bracket that I attached. Have been driving with it for 3 weeks and it doesn't hit ground. I have more pictures in my photos if interested.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...ser/12747/sl/c

Last edited by Colorado Cruizer; 05-20-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Front License Plate Bracket???

Now that's a good looking plate mount! Much better than factory!

Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 AM

Here is another pic of my license plate bracket. There are more pics in my gallery. If anyone is interested in installing this on their Xfire, let me know. I have install pics and can post the details. It took me about 2.5 hours to do.

Last edited by Colorado Cruizer; 05-20-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: Front License Plate Bracket???

Hello the wire! Please excuse me but I am new to this forum and the Crossfire as well, I have an 04 Alabaster Coupe, auto trans. w/ drk. grey and cedar interior. Bought it with 12,000 miles on it and absolutely LOVE it. It came with a front plate bracket, I took it off and glued studs in the holes, I did the same with a PT Cruiser that I traded for the Crossfire. Have not been stopped EVER. If someone wants the bracket, I'll sell it for $20.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM0694.JPG (701.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
RPM
Thumbs up Re: Front License Plate Bracket???

Originally Posted by Crossfire Trail
Hello the wire! Please excuse me but I am new to this forum and the Crossfire as well.
Congrats and welcome.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Bracket???