TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Old 11-14-2015, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Well, I have a new problem. My key that I still have stopped working. The car started, then shut off after two seconds, wouldn't start again. I thought maybe the batteries in my fob were dead after testing it and finding the remote functions no longer work. The car is parked at a store that sells batteries so I went in and got new ones. After putting them in the fob, it still is not working. So I tried reprogramming it with the method from this thread. I tried many times. The car will not start. The remote will not work. I have not yet had a dealership do anything to remove the stolen key from the SKREEM. Nobody has touched anything on the car, so it's not that.

I put the key in, tap unlock or lock twice, turn it to on. Nothing. I tried different button combinations, holding the buttons for a second, or several seconds each. I tried turning it all the way to start, turning it to on, then to start. Waiting different periods of time between each step. Nothing. My best guess is that I somehow got locked out and now just doing the regular programming method isn't enough. Obviously, a Friday night in a city I don't live in is the worst situation in which this can happen.

Any suggestions? I would give just about anything to have this damn thing start for me.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Step 1, disconnect the car battery for a minute or so, reconnect and try again.
Step 2, if you haven't had the solder joints redone in the RCM do that or get it done.
Step 3, pray that takes care of it, other than that, it seem to be when the confusion takes over and money starts getting thrown around.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^^ I would make that about 5 minutes or so.. and turn the key to the On/Run position to fully discharge system .. then hook battery back up.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:31 AM

So I got my car going after a while. It was a huge hassle having just had my smartphone stolen, so internet access was a good 20 minute walk from where the car was. I went back and forth several times. It was getting late, and I had no tools on hand. Anything I could do was a shot in the dark.

I didn't disconnect the battery, as I didn't have any tools with me aside from a knife I carry everywhere (guess why) and some cheap pliers. Not much help. I began to suspect that the battery in the remote hadn't died, but rather I was dealing with an entirely different issue. I got out the manual, wasn't much help. Looked through all the fuses, and I found that the fuse in cavity 35 is for "Radio Frequency Remote Control" among several other things. I pulled that fuse out. It looked fine. Put it back in. The car started on my first attempt. I imagine this was 100% luck, but figured I should post it anyway. The hand brake (which I always use out of habit) became SUPER stiff. Both going up and down. This hadn't been an issue at all until I got the car to start last night.

So basically what I'm saying is... There is some force of nature that is going to continue screwing things up for me, and I'll probably be back on this forum soon when everything else goes wrong on my car which only has 25,000 miles on it.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatSafeMurdrer
So I got my car going after a while. It was a huge hassle having just had my smartphone stolen, so internet access was a good 20 minute walk from where the car was. I went back and forth several times. It was getting late, and I had no tools on hand. Anything I could do was a shot in the dark.

I didn't disconnect the battery, as I didn't have any tools with me aside from a knife I carry everywhere (guess why) and some cheap pliers. Not much help. I began to suspect that the battery in the remote hadn't died, but rather I was dealing with an entirely different issue. I got out the manual, wasn't much help. Looked through all the fuses, and I found that the fuse in cavity 35 is for "Radio Frequency Remote Control" among several other things. I pulled that fuse out. It looked fine. Put it back in. The car started on my first attempt. I imagine this was 100% luck, but figured I should post it anyway. The hand brake (which I always use out of habit) became SUPER stiff. Both going up and down. This hadn't been an issue at all until I got the car to start last night.

So basically what I'm saying is... There is some force of nature that is going to continue screwing things up for me, and I'll probably be back on this forum soon when everything else goes wrong on my car which only has 25,000 miles on it.

Thanks for all the help!
The red window on the front of the fob has an LED behind it, when a button is pressed for a second or so the LED flashes to show the batteries are OK. That is the only reason for the red window. No red flashes means the batteries are dead. The fuse will just be for the remote opening/closing using the fob.

With regard to the hand brake, the stiffness is just a coincidence, lubrication is needed somewhere along the cable and brake mechanism. If you use it all the time they generally do not seize up so often especially on a car with so few miles on it.

To reset the keys remote opening/closing program.

 Aim the transmitters red eye at the vehicle.
 Briefly press the lock or unlock button twice.
 Within 30 seconds, insert the key in the ignition.
 Turn the key to the ON/Run position.
The first step shown here of aiming the red eye at the car seems an extra step, but it is just as written in the manual.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-15-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:53 PM

I got a spare original key with no battery in it put new battery in and it work fine to open the doors. But when i try to start the engine it fires up but then die.
Saw this tips in this tread:
"Insert the key into the ignition switch.
Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds. "

Try that but the car did not start at all now an the key is now totaly dead do not even work to open the doors that it use to.

What to do?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by dantheman13
I got a spare original key with no battery in it put new battery in and it work fine to open the doors. But when i try to start the engine it fires up but then die.
Saw this tips in this tread:

Try that but the car did not start at all now an the key is now totaly dead do not even work to open the doors that it use to.

What to do?
Thank you for asking the question we are always pleased to answer your questions.
Where did you get the Key?
I trust that the key will lock and unlock the drivers door and glove box?
Again thanks for the question, you must be really uptight about the problem, you are not trying to steal someones car are you?

Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Thank you for asking the question we are always pleased to answer your questions.
Where did you get the Key?
I trust that the key will lock and unlock the drivers door and glove box?
Again thanks for the question, you must be really uptight about the problem, you are not trying to steal someones car are you?

What?? I got the spare key when I bought the car... One key works fine but the spare had no battery as I wrote. Change the battery and the key open the doors all fine there but when i try to start the car i starts up and then dies. immobilizer cuts in I think. But when I test this to put the key in and press a button twice and then try to start now the key donīt work at all, not even open the doors?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 AM

What?? I got the spare key when I bought the car... One key works fine but the spare had no battery as I wrote. Change the battery and the key open the doors all fine there but when i try to start the car i starts up and then dies. immobilizer cuts in I think. But when I test this to put the key in and press a button twice and then try to start now the key donīt work at all, not even open the doors?
It is pretty obvious what is wrong. Thank you.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 PM

It is pretty obvious what is wrong. Thank you.
and with that you mean? This is a superforum who has give me lots of tips on my crossfire that I just got - but donīt like your hints that I try to steel a car!

I have bought a crossfire, one key works fine to open doors and start the car but the spare had no battery so I put new battery in this spare key and this key works right away to open doors but donīt work to start the car so when i try this tips on the forum:

The key donīt work at all after this, the spare key canīt even open the doors that it use to.

Last edited by dantheman13; 07-15-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are both fob's original? 3 buttons, lock/unlock/panic. If cases have been changed, the RF chip may have been not included, also it's been suggested, batteries may be in upside down. Sorry , I can't say it's this or that, but if one works an the other(original) doesn't, it may be the second key is a spare, bought in case of lockout. The reprogramming is pretty straight forward.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Are both fob's original? 3 buttons, lock/unlock/panic. If cases have been changed, the RF chip may have been not included, also it's been suggested, batteries may be in upside down. Sorry , I can't say it's this or that, but if one works an the other(original) doesn't, it may be the second key is a spare, bought in case of lockout. The reprogramming is pretty straight forward.
Thx for your replay. :-) But here in Sweden we have the Mercedes key with no panic button on it. We only have the buttons to open and close on the keys. The spare key work to open the doors when I put new battery in it but when I try to start the car the engine starts but then stops after a few seconds. When I try this tips on the forum to put the key in the ignition press one of the buttons twice and try to start now the key is all dead canīt even open the doors any more with that key. :-(

The key to the left in this picture is the one that donīt work at all after I try to put that key in the ignition switch and press on button twice : https://www.crossfireforum.org/g/picture/5666573

Last edited by dantheman13; 07-15-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the top of the key(where key flips out),when you push a button, do you see it blink (red lense)? You have to look directly into it. Boy, that key has been thur the wringer. The RFID chip may have been broken off or the board itself, may be cracked.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Thx for your replay. :-) But here in Sweden we have the Mercedes key with no panic button on it. We only have the buttons to open and close on the keys. The spare key work to open the doors when I put new battery in it but when I try to start the car the engine starts but then stops after a few seconds. When I try this tips on the forum to put the key in the ignition press one of the buttons twice and try to start now the key is all dead canīt even open the doors any more with that key. :-(

The key to the left in this picture is the one that donīt work at all after I try to put that key in the ignition switch and press on button twice : Chrysler Crossfire Picture by dantheman13 | 5666573 | CrossfireForum

My $0.02 cents worth, I never saw a crossfire key like this picture you posted. They may be replacements and one may have never worked.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:01 PM

Can you manually open and close the doors with the key?
Not by pressing the buttons but putting the key in the door and turning it.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 AM

Can you manually open and close the doors with the key?
Not by pressing the buttons but putting the key in the door and turning it.
Yes the key works fine to manually open the doors. But I donīt see the red light when I press the buttons on this key on the other one i do. Strange it work to open the doors before I try to put the key in the ignition and press the buttons twice.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:40 AM

Yes the key works fine to manually open the doors. But I donīt see the red light when I press the buttons on this key on the other one i do. Strange it work to open the doors before I try to put the key in the ignition and press the buttons twice.
The red light flashes only once when you press the button for a second or so, it indicates only that the battery is OK. Maybe these batteries have been worn out, possibly the circuitry is the problem and shorting the battery.
Maybe this fob has a serious problem with it and quit working before you acquired it and that is why it never had a battery in it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-18-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Someone help Help help. I broke my key trying to open a bottle.so I called locksmith so they came and made two keys try them didn't work so I order one from the dealer.did the steps to program it but it don't open the ignition. I was thinking the anti thief so I'll might need to reprogram the key. Plz help

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Bottle opener at any convenient store: $2.00
New, laser cut and programmed Crossfire key: $175.00

Being able to start your car: Priceless

Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Question Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Originally Posted by dhernand10
Yeah I couldn't believe it either, I ordered my key from the dealership for $145 and then they wanted to "program" it for an additional $90, I said no I am sure it comes cut and programmed from the factory, that is why I gave you my Vin # - (Actually I learned that fact from this website). I had them ship the key directly to my house so I didn't have to go and pick it up from them and I did the above steps and it works perfectly -
Hello everyone,
Can I order a key for myself from a dealer in the US? I live in Australia and they want approx. $450 USD for the key and programming.

One of my keys died and I have the blade so I can transfer the key blade if need be.

Please help!

Quick Reply: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$