TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Old 04-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

4-10-15 Got my new key with "professional courtesy" discount for $140-. Thought how hard can it be to program but WOW it is top secret unless as you have all said you PAY.

Thank you to this forum for saving me the $$$$. So simple!

Last edited by Ms Kitty NJ; 04-10-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms Kitty NJ
4-10-15 Got my new key with "professional courtesy" discount for $140-. Thought how hard can it be to program but WOW it is top secret unless as you have all said you PAY.

Thank you to this forum for saving me the $$$$. So simple!
Miss Kitty, did Matt do it for you? We hate to see money go up in (gun)smoke?

Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No, Chester did it.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
No, Chester did it.
I thought his expertise was fixing transmissions in limp mode.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Not sure whose info I saw first on programming a new key.

I work for Mercedes-Benz and that was a very large reason I purchased the Crossfire. I call it the undercover SLK and personally it looks much better than the 07 SLK did. Whenever I need anything taken care of ie; oil chgs, tires, anything I just get it done in the service dept by one of the MB techs.

I do have to say in my 5 years of ownership I have not had any major expenses other than
tires. I purchased a tire & wheel warranty when I bought the car and that came in very handy
on two occasions. Saved BIG $$$ replacing 2 rims and tires. I find the Continental DWS a really
great tire for the car. I got over 35,000 miles on the set I am replacing this week.

Happy motoring to everyone and thank you again to all those who posted key programming
info. I am keeping a copy of the instructions in the glove box for any future need.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad that this thread is still kicking and saving money!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep! My $7 Chinese cover fell apart and I lost programming for my old one, replaced the batteries and case with a $12 one from USA (looks suspiciously similar, but heavier plastic) and this saved me some roubles.

Changed the batteries in my spare and...it didn't work. This procedure fixed that too!

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any key with kr55 frequency does work?, or i must buy it from the dealership?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:55 PM

Hey guys, I have a very urgent and serious issue regarding my key. My wife and I were robbed at gunpoint. They took her purse. It had a key to our '04 Crossfire in it. Since this happened right after we got out of the car, they know exactly what car that key goes to and could come back and take the car anytime they want. So I still have my key. I called the nearest Chrysler dealership and they didn't seem to understand my problem and just wanted to sell me a new key (wait 2 weeks for it to arrive cause they have none in stock) then program the new key for another hundred bucks. I don't think that will solve my problem. I need to make it so the old key won't work. I don't care about getting a new $300 key right now. Do I need to change out the locks? If so, wouldn't the remote on that key still let them get into my car? What I am thinking is there must be a way to change the programming on the car and my remaining key so that the old key won't work at all if they come back for the car. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? The clock is ticking, and I am really stressing out.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatSafeMurdrer
Hey guys, I have a very urgent and serious issue regarding my key. My wife and I were robbed at gunpoint. They took her purse. It had a key to our '04 Crossfire in it. Since this happened right after we got out of the car, they know exactly what car that key goes to and could come back and take the car anytime they want. So I still have my key. I called the nearest Chrysler dealership and they didn't seem to understand my problem and just wanted to sell me a new key (wait 2 weeks for it to arrive cause they have none in stock) then program the new key for another hundred bucks. I don't think that will solve my problem. I need to make it so the old key won't work. I don't care about getting a new $300 key right now. Do I need to change out the locks? If so, wouldn't the remote on that key still let them get into my car? What I am thinking is there must be a way to change the programming on the car and my remaining key so that the old key won't work at all if they come back for the car. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? The clock is ticking, and I am really stressing out.

Thanks.
Per documentation I have read.. a "competent" dealer can disable that key through the DRBIII and skreem module.

See post 5 on this.. pull the fuel pump fuse as needed for security? Located in the box just off the side of the battery.. "RCM"... https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rmanently.html

Last edited by Mrmiata; 11-08-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 PM

Also I see you are new to a degree.. mouse click on the red text.. "fuel pump.."

Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Per documentation I have read.. a "competent" dealer can disable that key through the DRBIII and skreem module.

See post 5 on this.. pull the fuel pump fuse as needed for security? Located in the box just off the side of the battery.. "RCM"... https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rmanently.html
Clarification - that particular key can be disabled. Another key can be made to a new code. This can be done as Mr M says by a competent dealer.'

Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 PM

Wow that was fast. You guys are awesome. Anyway, when you say disable the old key and program a new key, does this mean I need a NEW key? I'm assuming I can reprogram the key I still have and be fine...

Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by MeatSafeMurdrer
Wow that was fast. You guys are awesome. Anyway, when you say disable the old key and program a new key, does this mean I need a NEW key? I'm assuming I can reprogram the key I still have and be fine...
No.. they are able to disable the single key.. temporarily or permanently.. if your Chrysler dealer has no clue or not willing to educate themselves.. try a "friendly" Mercedes dealer..

Old 11-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Here is a little more than "some guy on my forum said".. LOL

Keys missing/stolen - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

And if you decide you want a second key.. which isn't a bad idea.. Needswings.com is the place for it..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 11-08-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:43 PM

No.. they are able to disable the single key.. temporarily or permanently.. if your Chrysler dealer has no clue or not willing to educate themselves.. try a "friendly" Mercedes dealer..
you will need a new key because the chip inside your key is what you have to get rid of. It is the part that connects wirelessly to the SKREEM in your car.
I am not sure how you go about correcting your problem.
You should contact NeedsWings who are on here, they have the cheapest price for keys - $150 - and they should know how to solve your problem.
As stated remove the fuse for safety until it is solved.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:47 PM

I can't tell you guys how much this helps. Of course because of another, longer story, the car is not in my name. I imagine any dealer will want to make sure the registration matches my License before they will do this, so I've got to take the person whose name it IS in with me. He lives 5 hours away but totally worth it.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
you will need a new key because the chip inside your key is what you have to get rid of. It is the part that connects wirelessly to the SKREEM in your car.
I am not sure how you go about correcting your problem.
You should contact NeedsWings who are on here, they have the cheapest price for keys - $150 - and they should know how to solve your problem.
As stated remove the fuse for safety until it is solved.
So you're saying each key can only be programmed once, and changing the SKREEM programming will permanently disable both my key, AND the stolen key?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:57 PM

8 Keys.. I'd say they are based on "valid" RFID chips programmed to the skreem..

| Repair Guides | Components & Systems | Sentry Key Immobilizer System | AutoZone.com

Old 11-08-2015, 11:08 PM

8 Keys.. I'd say they are based on "valid" RFID chips programmed to the skreem..

| Repair Guides | Components & Systems | Sentry Key Immobilizer System | AutoZone.com
Which is to say I can program my existing key with the SKREEM after the SKREEM has been changed?

Quick Reply: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$