TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

steering / ignition locking

Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: steering / ignition locking

I have the same issue...the ignition will not turn. My Crossfire has been at Courtsey Chrysler in Tampa Florida since Saturday 8/30/08 waiting to be looked at. The ignition has been locked since Friday. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by bhays
What is the recommended lubricant?
Just a little squert of WD40 (spray lubricant) works wonders. Mine was dry when I got the car - now it functions smoothly and no probs over 26K miles

Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mkl
I have seen in Chrysler garages Crossfire instrument panels torn apart because the steering wheel is locked and the ignition switch will not engage.

Mine is getting testy. Anyone else with the problem or has anyone seen a TSB on it?

Thanks

M Powell

MY xfire is in shop now dew to stering lockup, was on level ground , no presur on weel , costing 1495 to fix , doe this sound ok to any one ,,,

Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy rutledge
MY xfire is in shop now dew to stering lockup, was on level ground , no presur on weel , costing 1495 to fix , doe this sound ok to any one ,,,
Uhh... No.

Most people have quoted prices in this thread between $00 and $700.

How old is your car?
Is it still under warranty?

BC.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jimmy rutledge
Nope. I had the same problem and didn't have to spend anything. It only locked up when it was really hot outside or perhaps the sunrays effected it in the way that it often effects car alarm remotes.

I did several things like change fuses so I'm not sure what ultimately fixed it. In any case you are likely wasting money on a $0 fix.

I also tried oiling the key before putting it in to oil the inside. Never had another problem since and it may have been just the heat effecting the read of the circuit inside the key fob.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Kaiser
My 04 locked up totaly after acting up for about 6 months. I was just thankful it happened in my garage and I did not have to have the car towed. I removed the entire key assembly and ground off the pin the locks the steering post. The assembly the removes the steering locking pin wore out. No replacement parts were needed. It now works better that new and will never lockup again. The locking steering wheel was the only function affected all other security devices, work as advertized.
Now how do I remove the steering column? My 04 crossfire just locked up on me.... This is the most frustrating thing that has happened to me.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by TimothyGeorge
Now how do I remove the steering column? My 04 crossfire just locked up on me.... This is the most frustrating thing that has happened to me.
Steering column removal? No way.
Read this.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...n-key-fix.html

Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Smile Re: steering / ignition locking

Hello every body I"m a new member and I hope this is the correct section to get help on this matter . My 2004 Crossfire finale it totally lock on me today I actually had to towed back to the house . The Key will not turn and the Steering Wheel is LOCK . I used the WD-40 and spray inside the ignition , it did not work . I tried everything what other people wroth on the forum and nothing ... Two years a go I had the exact same problem and i had to replace the Ignition Switch with a used part (come with one key) from a another Crossfire that was in an accident and was total . I have my original Key , it works only to unlock the doors and I have the other Key to start the car only . I don't Know what to do , I want to be fixed for ever. Now , how many off you out there removed the steering locking pin ? I been riding that some of you ground off the Pin and same Drill out the Steering Wheel Lock . I understand this precision it will fix the problem FOREVER ... Please any info. will be greatly appreciated .

Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read post #27 above and thank 180 - see the sticky ignition key fix.

If you had your old ignition switch you could fix it and put it back in and not have to use 2 different keys, otherwise fix the new one. No cost and no problems - it is a permanent repair.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Kaiser
My 04 locked up totaly after acting up for about 6 months. I was just thankful it happened in my garage and I did not have to have the car towed. I removed the entire key assembly and ground off the pin the locks the steering post. The assembly the removes the steering locking pin wore out. No replacement parts were needed. It now works better that new and will never lockup again. The locking steering wheel was the only function affected all other security devices, work as advertized.
hey can you explain to me please o have that problem and dont know what to do

Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Rafa:

1) Click this link:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...n-key-fix.html

2) When you get there, click the first link in the bottom of the first post.

3) Print it all out.

4) Follow the instructions OR get a local mechanic or car guy to do it.

5) Done. No parts needed, only about 1 1/2 hours of time and a few hand tools.

I would not do what he did, with our fix, the locking steering wheel still locks.
Anyone I know of who tried this fix has had success. MIne locked up at 44,000 miles. I'm past 94,000 and have never had the problem come back.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's are links to the MoparLock lube mentioned in an earlier post...

MOPAR Lock Lubricant, .25 Oz. Tube - 4318084

Mopar Parts | Buy Mopar Parts Online | Low Shipping Rates

Old 07-26-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by meshcraft
Nope. I had the same problem and didn't have to spend anything. It only locked up when it was really hot outside or perhaps the sunrays effected it in the way that it often effects car alarm remotes.

I did several things like change fuses so I'm not sure what ultimately fixed it. In any case you are likely wasting money on a $0 fix.

I also tried oiling the key before putting it in to oil the inside. Never had another problem since and it may have been just the heat effecting the read of the circuit inside the key fob.

I've realized that myself too, only when it gets really hot, mine does that too, locks up, so I will take your advice and replace some fuses and see if that makes a difference, and also oil the key.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Have you done the sticky ignition fix? If not. it is time!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by newestguy007
I've realized that myself too, only when it gets really hot, mine does that too, locks up, so I will take your advice and replace some fuses and see if that makes a difference, and also oil the key.
You are replying to a post that is three years old and contains some bone headed ideas.
If your car is a 2004 to 2006 model you have the sticky ignition problem. Look for the .pdf in an earlier post in this thread and read it.
You can fix it yourself for free with just an hour or so of your time.
Oil and fuse changes are not going to solve the sticky ignition.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-26-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by meshcraft
It only locked up when it was really hot outside or perhaps the sunrays effected it in the way that it often effects car alarm remotes.
WOW, now THAT is 'out there'....

Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
WOW, now THAT is 'out there'....
That's why I wear this aluminum foil beanie.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Visions of Rowan and Martin's laugh-in 'Veeeerry innnnnteresting' scene, going through my mind.. Some of these ideas that go through the forums... Oh my...

Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That's why I wear this aluminum foil beanie.
My old avatar...

Old 07-27-2016, 03:04 AM

Hey guys, hate to post in such an old thread, read through the entire thing and can't find the answer I'm looking for. My ignition was sticky since I got the car so would just give the wheel a few rugs and it would turn (I've had the car 4 years and it never got worse). Well a couple weeks ago it locked completely and I cannot get the key to turn at all. How do I remove the ignition or the key cylinder without turning the key?? Do I need to drop the column?

Also, I have parts on the way that should be here Thursday from a donor car of the same year. It comes with the entire ignition assembly, key and fob, along with the RFID ring... As long I have the RFID ring and fob from the same car it should work right??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guy!

Quick Reply: steering / ignition locking