TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

so after trying just about every buzzer mentioned on hear I decided to spend a bit more money and installs a back up alarm. Federal Signal 252-012-048 Vehicular Back-Up Alarm - 0.2 Amps 97 DB these can be found on ebay for about 50.00$. you will definitely hear this and it's allot more sturdy.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bay Cruise
Anyone know where I can get one of these relays that will post to Australia. I fancy doing this like the picture above instead of just wrapping the wires around the terminals, like I have had for the past few months, but would like to do it on a spare relay - just in case. !!
did any one find out were to get a hold of this relay with the wires. and willing to ship in the US.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Where did you mount the Federal Signal 252-012-048 Vehicular Back-Up Alarm - 0.2 Amps 97 DB ? I originally installed the Radio Shack 273-059 but not loud enough to hear over city traffic noise. Then installed a "high intensity" Radio Shack Piezo Buzzer 12VDC, 7.0-14VDC 150Ma - 108dB. This one is loud enough but has a varying audible kind of a "squeal" when locking (3 times parking light flashing), 1 time (1 squeal) when disarming. Radio Shack does not allow you to hear buzzers prior to purchase. I picked this one for the 108dB. This one no doubt may be a squealer. The Skreem module associated with the car alarm/ignition failed. Not sure if related to the Piezo Buzzer install. Anyone have any input about the Skreem module failure that may be related to these buzzers? The only symptom is that the engine would turn over 1 time but not catch. (not sure if the engine starting failure began before or after the buzzer install) The second attempt to crank the engine, the engine would catch until, of course the last time when the CF would not start. Thanks for any info out there.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I've had my buzzer installed for over 2 years now - no issues.
I mounted mine up on the radiator support frame just under one of the oval holes that are punched in each side and ran the small wires hidden back to the relay.
I first had it in the fuse box, but not loud enough.
My buzzer came out of my junk box, an old 70's computer buzzer, but it was 12v so I used it.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM

I have had various buzzes over the past year finally ending with the federal one which is loud enough and works correctly( no squeal) as some of the radio shack ones will do. as for the skreem module that's an unrelated issue. there is a couple of very useful threads on here that helped me when mine has an issue. specifically some do's and don'ts along with how to reset it without frying the ecu / ecm not sure what ours is considered.

[qQUOTE=BisB;795031]Where did you mount the Federal Signal 252-012-048 Vehicular Back-Up Alarm - 0.2 Amps 97 DB ? I originally installed the Radio Shack 273-059 but not loud enough to hear over city traffic noise. Then installed a "high intensity" Radio Shack Piezo Buzzer 12VDC, 7.0-14VDC 150Ma - 108dB. This one is loud enough but has a varying audible kind of a "squeal" when locking (3 times parking light flashing), 1 time (1 squeal) when disarming. Radio Shack does not allow you to hear buzzers prior to purchase. I picked this one for the 108dB. This one no doubt may be a squealer. The Skreem module associated with the car alarm/ignition failed. Not sure if related to the Piezo Buzzer install. Anyone have any input about the Skreem module failure that may be related to these buzzers? The only symptom is that the engine would turn over 1 time but not catch. (not sure if the engine starting failure began before or after the buzzer install) The second attempt to crank the engine, the engine would catch until, of course the last time when the CF would not start. Thanks for any info out there.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 AM

Thank you again for this. Installed on my second crossfire now. Really simple yet effective.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 AM

To Corfire, yes.
Thanks for the prompt reply and all the great info about the Radio Shack part we need and the install procedure.
Being new to Crossfires, it seemed odd not to have a "chirp" to verify the action of locking/unlocking. Your reply was just what I was hoping for and the pictures and directions are an added bonus. I wonder why it was not a standard feature on the car. A German thing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire 8-12-14 004.jpg (1.12 MB, 18 views)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by DaytonaDick
To Corfire, yes.
Thanks for the prompt reply and all the great info about the Radio Shack part we need and the install procedure.
Being new to Crossfires, it seemed odd not to have a "chirp" to verify the action of locking/unlocking. Your reply was just what I was hoping for and the pictures and directions are an added bonus. I wonder why it was not a standard feature on the car. A German thing?
I have a neighbour who has a new Subaru and he doesn't have the chirp and would like it. When he went to his dealer to get it switched on they told him that whilst it used to be on older Subaru's they have now removed it altogether because owners kept asking for it to be switched off..... Don't understand that !!!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM

Used the 273-0060 and worked great . Here is a close up and about 30 feet sound videos... to give you some ideas of sound... Thanks guys , this place is great...

Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM

THX, we got it worked out on this end. ****

Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM

So if you up date to newer alarm siren you will have a nice beep ! I just changed mine out this week end to mercedes part # A2198203226 makes three shorts beeps when locked one when unlocking ! Found on ebay !

Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 PM

THX ed. Good info to have. DD

Old 10-07-2014, 03:10 PM

wow I did it in 10 mins

Old 10-07-2014, 04:45 PM

THX for the info and suggestion. We plan to store the car this winter and have alarm installed next spring. DD

Old 08-10-2015, 08:57 AM

Great tip works as it should have, can't understand why this was not a programmable option many thanks.

One tip, if your piezo buzzer does not sound when lights flash and you are on the correct relay terminals just reverse the cables (reversing polarity) would appears polarity is important.

Here in the UK you can get a suitable buzzer from Maplins like this wired model for £2.99
Wire Ended Piezo Buzzer | Maplin

Attached Files
File Type: avi
remote.avi (2.52 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by toob; 08-19-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 PM

I just finished installing a Radio Shack piezo buzzer. It seems that the (+) or positive terminal on my relay is #85. The (-) or negative went to terminal 86. Works great!

cheers,
Ted

Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 AM

Good deal.
Just a note : If you replace the alarm module with a new beeping one AFTER you have installed the external buzzer, you will have a cacophony of beeps locking and unlocking.
Ask me how I know ......

Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Good deal.
Just a note : If you replace the alarm module with a new beeping one AFTER you have installed the external buzzer, you will have a cacophony of beeps locking and unlocking.
Ask me how I know ......
I bet that's a hoot...no pun intended.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 AM

And does it all sound like a "Steam Calliope"?? Aha Ha Ha!!

I find the seat-belt alarm and other alarms to have a rather loud and unpleasant note to them. I saw in one of the "fixes" was a way to turn off the seat belt noise. UGH. I'd rather change the noise maker, or put some tape over it to deaden the volume.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 AM

I saw in one of the "fixes" was a way to turn off the seat belt noise.
Yea, I did that one once, and it actually worked, but I felt so damn stupid doing that procedure that I never did it again. ( It forgets if you ever disconnect the battery after setting it )

BTW, the "seat belt noise" is on a timer, it eventually gives up and leaves you alone, although the light remains on.

The boys in blue around here have a very keen eye for seat belts, so I really don't mind it.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?