TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

TORX sockets all xfire owners should own

Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: TORX sockets all xfire owners should own

Originally Posted by onehundred80
They look a bit long, this length is adequate and I have turned the ones in my wheel with it, they are not too tight at all.

Others may say otherwise but T-30 fit snugly with no play at all, just as they were designed to do.
If you have play when they are turned you have the wrong bit.

well one can never have to many tools thats my motto!! i have a set like the ones in the pic and they about 3" long so i may try them today

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

It is worth mentioning that Torx and Phillips screws should jamb onto the bit. If the screw does not jamb on then you have the wrong size bit or the screw has been damaged already.

These systems were designed to make the screws easier to install on assembly lines. If the screw had to be held on to the bit time was lost.

We have seen on this forum of screws being damaged by the use of the wrong bit. Too late they realized that they had used a bit that was too small.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Valky - ordered that set from Amazon today with an Amazon gift card I recieved...great buy!

Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend a set for male secured torx instead to change the pulley of the tensionner which is a maintenance item. The tensionner itself seems to be pretty good for a very long time from the factory. My belt looked brand new as well. 2007 Coupe with a bit under 60k miles.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by alexdc
I would recommend a set for male secured torx instead to change the pulley of the tensionner which is a maintenance item. The tensionner itself seems to be pretty good for a very long time from the factory. My belt looked brand new as well. 2007 Coupe with a bit under 60k miles.
Seven year old thread but a good one.
Maybe it was a new belt,
I purchased a set of Torz sockets and hex male sockets at Can Tire on sale, also a set of female Torz sockets.
ALWAYS use the largest male socket or smallest female socket that will fit or damage will result.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 AM
Forum Regular

Maybe it was a new belt,
I purchased a set of Torz sockets and hex male sockets at Can Tire on sale, also a set of female Torz sockets.
ALWAYS use the largest male socket or smallest female socket that will fit or damage will result.
yeah but the tensionner is a secured torx. a regular one won't work. This forum is to help DIYers so this should be updated. My tensionner and belt seemed to be perfect but my pulleys were totally shot. It was the MB belt. Pretty sure it was the original belt, tensionner and pulleys that came with the car.

Last edited by alexdc; 11-07-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Forum Regular

Maybe it was a new belt,

yeah but the tensionner pulley bolt is a secured torx bolt. a regular torx won't work (to remove the pulley). If you replace the tensionner itself you don't need it but it's more expensive and not worth the effort of threading in the new bolt for the engine strut that screws onto the tensionner itself (the new tensionner does not have threads built in for that bolt). Change the pulleys, really easy job. This forum is to help DIYers so this should be updated. My tensionner and belt seemed to be perfect but my pulleys were totally shot. It was the MB belt. Pretty sure it was the original belt, tensionner and pulleys that came with the car.

Last edited by alexdc; 11-07-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by alexdc
yeah but the tensionner pulley bolt is a secured torx bolt. a regular torx won't work (to remove the pulley). If you replace the tensionner itself you don't need it but it's more expensive and not worth the effort of threading in the new bolt for the engine strut that screws onto the tensionner itself (the new tensionner does not have threads built in for that bolt). Change the pulleys, really easy job. This forum is to help DIYers so this should be updated. My tensionner and belt seemed to be perfect but my pulleys were totally shot. It was the MB belt. Pretty sure it was the original belt, tensionner and pulleys that came with the car.
The.fastener is called a Torz Security bolt, there are a few on the car.
My belt has 37,000 miles on it and you can see the wear, basically on the back face where it has gone over some pulleys.
There are latter threads on this matter, older threads often have outdated or wrong info in them, you have to be aware of that fact. Screws with the security feature tend to be some of the smaller sizes.
For your info Crappy Tire often has sets of security bits on sale, the set I have even has flat blades with the security notch, I have never seen screws like that.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Among other things ordered these just now:
Amazon Amazon
EPAuto Torx Bit Socket Set T8-T60 $14.87
Amazon Amazon
Torx Star Female E-socket Set E4-E24 $16.95
Amazon Amazon
LISLE 26000 Tamper Proof Torx Set, 7 Piece, T10-T40 $12.10

onehundred80, what is "Crappy Tire"?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by WD40
Thanks for the tip. Among other things ordered these just now:
https://www.amazon.com/13-Pieces-EPA...EZ4/ref=sr_1_6 EPAuto Torx Bit Socket Set T8-T60 $14.87
https://www.amazon.com/14pc-Torx-Tor...CZ/ref=sr_1_24 Torx Star Female E-socket Set E4-E24 $16.95
https://www.amazon.com/LISLE-26000-T...day0_hl_263_11 LISLE 26000 Tamper Proof Torx Set, 7 Piece, T10-T40 $12.10

onehundred80, what is "Crappy Tire"?
That's what we call Canadian Tire Corp. stores up in Canada, it is just a nickname really, I like the store and I have spent a lot of time in there over the years.
It never got so big because it was crappy, it caters to most needs now rather than being the tire and tools store it once was. The auto side of the business is a fraction of its business now.