TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

bas/esp light

Old 07-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy bas/esp light

Hi everyone, I am very grateful to have a place like this to go to when in need of advise. The bas/esp light won't turn off. I have tried the reset sequence several times, turning the steering but to no avail. I will be checking my battery volts to see if it is low. The battery is four years old so I thought maybe that could be the trigger. Could you help with any other suggestions? I've got only 7k miles on my 04 coupe and baby it a lot. I am frightened to have to take it to the dealer because of what they may break or ruin. I would like to try what ever I can do on my own. I realize that this problem can be a lot of things but I would like to go down trying. Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: bas/esp light

Welcome Chucky. The BAS light could be many issues. It could be the module. Or, as we have found, it could be something as simple as low tire pressure. Ours came on on the limited and the front tires were about two pounds low which did not trigger the TPS. Filling the tires corrected the problem. Out of balance tires can do the same thing too.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Hey Dan, thanks so much for the help. I checked my tire pressure and the front right was down not quite two pounds, the others were fine. I put the air in, then started the car and the light was no longer on. I couldn't believe that the light was off and had to drive around the block to be sure. It still stayed off much to my relief. I would not have checked this if not for your advise. I thought the tps would have alerted me before the bas/esp and would never have checked the tire pressure. You've saved me from the dreaded repair shop! Thank you!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky
Hey Dan, thanks so much for the help. I checked my tire pressure and the front right was down not quite two pounds, the others were fine. I put the air in, then started the car and the light was no longer on. I couldn't believe that the light was off and had to drive around the block to be sure. It still stayed off much to my relief. I would not have checked this if not for your advise. I thought the tps would have alerted me before the bas/esp and would never have checked the tire pressure. You've saved me from the dreaded repair shop! Thank you!
Glad that did the trick for you. I was really surprised when it cured ours. Those BAS sensors are just so darn sensitive.

BTW, the first time we had trouble with the light we put new tires on and that did the trick. About 25k on the old Conti's.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these ESP/BAS issues and fixes should be stickied. Seems to be an awful lot of them lately. Good fix and yet another thing you have to check when that light comes on.
Pat

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM

I have a 05 roadster ltd. Just put on 4 new Bridgestone Potenza re970as pole position tires. They were filled with nitrogen I have verified that the tire pressure is correct, I have tried the recommended reset but the BAS/ESP light stays on. I had someone check the OMB and it shows fault DTC code as B0001. Does anyone have suggestions? Does anyone know what the B0001 code is??

Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by kentucky gar
I have a 05 roadster ltd. Just put on 4 new Bridgestone Potenza re970as pole position tires. They were filled with nitrogen I have verified that the tire pressure is correct, I have tried the recommended reset but the BAS/ESP light stays on. I had someone check the OMB and it shows fault DTC code as B0001. Does anyone have suggestions? Does anyone know what the B0001 code is??
In the "Technical & Modifications" Forum you will find a master list of DTC. I just checked it, but no B0001 is listed. The B is for your body DTC, so Im wondering if you have the correct code? Please check the list for yourself it is a Sticky thread.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can help.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 AM

A good first start and inexpensive start is to test the brake light switch by starting the car and pressing down the brake gently, get some one to see if the brake lights are on. If they are on then from that point press the brake down fully...do the brake lights turn off when brake pedal is fully depressed??

If so you have a faulty brake light switch just change it and the BAS/ESP will disappear problem solved!!

I did this recently with 100% resolution.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ibows1
A good first start and inexpensive start is to test the brake light switch by starting the car and pressing down the brake gently, get some one to see if the brake lights are on. If they are on then from that point press the brake down fully...do the brake lights turn off when brake pedal is fully depressed??

If so you have a faulty brake light switch just change it and the BAS/ESP will disappear problem solved!!

I did this recently with 100% resolution.

Glad your fix worked, you do know this post is @ 3 1/2 years since last commented on before yours?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Smile Re: bas/esp light fixed (I hope)

Did a lot of reading on this topic and learned a lot on this light. The steering wheel reset didn't last on my 04 coupe. Brakes worked fine, cruise not affected, brake lights ok, wing not affected.

I ran a scan using my recently acquired icarsoft i980 tool and got codes on the two pressure sensors on the master cylinder. I disconnected both, cleaned the contacts and used a little dielectric grease and reconnected. Reset the code - no problems for several days. Hope it is fixed. I'm replacing the brake light switch for good measure.

I am finding this little scanner to be very useful. Got it for a hundred on Amazon.