TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Originally Posted by BRappaport
The little BLUE check valve #12 in the illustration is a known issue with the Secondary air injection system. It is prone to sticking closed. This check valve is between the vacuum control solenoid and the diverter valves which allow fresh air to flow to the exhaust. When this valve is stuck it can not open the diverters. This sets the P0410 code, due to the O2 sensors not seeing a change from the fresh air being injected. Hope this helps.

Part #05096374AA. Right (passenger) front corner of the engine, under the engine cover. Bright Blue valve in the vacuum hose. If you change it yourself pay close attention to the position of the arrow (molded into the plastic) it indicates direction of flow.

Hope this helps....See diagram below...

BRappaport
So is this the check valve?
p0410-secondary-air-injection-syste.jpg

Also the part # you listed can not be found... are you sure it's the right one?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04Fire
So is this the check valve?

Also the part # you listed can not be found... are you sure it's the right one?
Yes...that is the blue check valve Part# 5096 374AA...according to the manual.

Good Luck....Ben

Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Yes...that is the blue check valve Part# 5096 374AA...according to the manual.

Good Luck....Ben
K thanks Ben!!

I just call my local Chrysler dealer and they said the part # had changed to 5096374AC (and is $35) but I still can't seem to find it any where on the web. I even tried the MB part # A0011406660 that's stamped on the part its self.

My valve was definitely stuck... I cleaned it out and it seems to work for now but I'd like a new one.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

K thanks Ben!!

I just call my local Chrysler dealer and they said the part # had changed to 5096374AC (and is $35) but I still can't seem to find it any where on the web. I even tried the MB part # A0011406660 that's stamped on the part its self.

My valve was definitely stuck... I cleaned it out and it seems to work for now but I'd like a new one.
04Fire, I went to the local Mercedes dealer and they said the coresponding MB part # had been changed to A 002 140 84 60. I just read this off of the parts bag still on my desk. I bought one 3 weeks ago from the MB dealer for $23 taxes included. Looks exactly like the original part and works, which is what I cared about. Good Luck

Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
04Fire, I went to the local Mercedes dealer and they said the coresponding MB part # had been changed to A 002 140 84 60. I just read this off of the parts bag still on my desk. I bought one 3 weeks ago from the MB dealer for $23 taxes included. Looks exactly like the original part and works, which is what I cared about. Good Luck
Thanks Larry! Glad to see the MB parts are still cheaper.

But since I've cleaned out the valve the light hasn't come one once in the week I've been driving it!!
I soaked it in a mixture of water/simple green and rinsed it out then rinsed it out again with distilled water.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, I need some opinions. XFGirl is my wife and she has the dreaded code. Each time I repace the fuse it blows once the car is started. I jumpered the pump and it will kick on so I know its working.

My fear is that while it might be working maybe its still damaged and pulling too much current causing the fuses to blow. I am not an electrical guru in any way so I am a bit stuck. Could the bad relay be causing the fuse to blow or am I looking at a malfunctioning pump?

I just hate to spend any money doing the trial by error if I do not have to. As for the check valve it seems to be working fine so I truly don't believe it is the issues.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm on the same page, got the code went to my car guy, he told me (after 7 hours of looking at it) that I needed a new relay control module... BUT he sounded completely unsure. Chrysler never got back to him on the price of a new one. The car drives ok (with the exception of twice when it kinda stuttered really bad at a red light to where i worried the car would cut off). So tomorrow im going into the stealership to see if they can pinpoint the cause.

Is it unsafe to drive around on this? b/c I'm taking a road trip in a couple weeks. I too am scared of the dealership doing a trial and error replacement that I DO NOT have money for.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Egotist1
I'm on the same page, got the code went to my car guy, he told me (after 7 hours of looking at it) that I needed a new relay control module... BUT he sounded completely unsure. Chrysler never got back to him on the price of a new one. The car drives ok (with the exception of twice when it kinda stuttered really bad at a red light to where i worried the car would cut off). So tomorrow im going into the stealership to see if they can pinpoint the cause.

Is it unsafe to drive around on this? b/c I'm taking a road trip in a couple weeks. I too am scared of the dealership doing a trial and error replacement that I DO NOT have money for.
I haven't noticed any driving issues with my wife's car. The main thing is the CEL. Her's is due for inspection soon so we need to get it fixed so we can get it passed.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I keep hearing that the secondary air pump can be purchased from Bosch or Mecedes Benz. Does Bosch make the pump? I am also hearing crossfires and mercedes use the same one. My stealership told me that the voltages are different and that a mercedes pump cannot work in the crossfires. Is that hog - wash?

Whats crazy is I took it to another dealer and the dealer told me the pump was coming from mercedes. wha?? Which one is it?

I have been trolling the forum and have done some of the preventative measures. I have taking out the check valve. I used pressurized air on it. Air seem to go thorugh but when I shine a light to it I cannot see through. Does that mean it is clogged still? Are you supposed to see clear though the check value?

I put the check valve back in and the CEL came on again after a little while. I actually heard the air pump blow once.

I am not sure if it because the old check valve is clogged and I just need a new one or if it is just the pump. I want to rule out all mulligans.

I checked the relays and no fuses were blown out. I read that maybe if the pump is drawing alot of current this may happen. It was from one of the post.

Please help... I feel like i am getting close to the CEL culprit but need the great minds of the forum to chime in and give me a some guidance..

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular

My CEL came on with P0410. I'm willing to try the valve change ... is it difficult to get on and off?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM

No it isn't that difficulty to change. I got a new one from Mercedes Benz. It turned out to be $24.00. Chrysler wants $50.00 for it.

I swapped out the old one and put in the new one. Just carefully pull the blue valve off. There is an arrow on it so you know which direction to re-install it.

The mercedes and chrysler valve look the same. just make sure to get the valve for the SLK 2004+ model if you do mercedes.

I also figured if i am going to have to replace something might as well start with the cheapest part.

I have already been quoted an astronomical price for the air pump install by the stealership.

Last edited by solnyc; 09-30-2009 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dmazzitelli (08-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by billvp
My CEL came on with P0410. I'm willing to try the valve change ... is it difficult to get on and off?
Not hard to do, maybe only a small srewdriver to help get the hoses off if they are stubborn. The small hoses normally are only pulled off and pushed on. Pay attention to the orientation of the valve though.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by solnyc
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I keep hearing that the secondary air pump can be purchased from Bosch or Mecedes Benz. Does Bosch make the pump? I am also hearing crossfires and mercedes use the same one. My stealership told me that the voltages are different and that a mercedes pump cannot work in the crossfires. Is that hog - wash?

Whats crazy is I took it to another dealer and the dealer told me the pump was coming from mercedes. wha?? Which one is it?

I have been trolling the forum and have done some of the preventative measures. I have taking out the check valve. I used pressurized air on it. Air seem to go thorugh but when I shine a light to it I cannot see through. Does that mean it is clogged still? Are you supposed to see clear though the check value?

I put the check valve back in and the CEL came on again after a little while. I actually heard the air pump blow once.

I am not sure if it because the old check valve is clogged and I just need a new one or if it is just the pump. I want to rule out all mulligans.

I checked the relays and no fuses were blown out. I read that maybe if the pump is drawing alot of current this may happen. It was from one of the post.

Please help... I feel like i am getting close to the CEL culprit but need the great minds of the forum to chime in and give me a some guidance..

Thanks for any advice in advance.
If you look around on the part in question you might find the original MB part number on it some where. Some are easy to find and some are not. I'm not a big mechanic or anything I just know they were built in Germany in the Karman plant so I'm assuming that they got their parts from the same place that the SLK's Crossfires were designed from did. My money is on the dealer just wanting to make a sale. The parts man at the dealership I go to said that they just order the parts from MB. He also said that when the MB\ Chrysler breakup occured that MB started charging more ( to Chrysler) for the parts. Of course, that is just what I was told.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM

How many amps does it take to push/turn on the secondary air pump?

Last edited by solnyc; 10-05-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 AM

If you are looking for the valve it is $17.82 at Parts.com
5096374AB

Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Arrow Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

I just got back from the dealer where they ended up replacing a relay module. Don't know the cost as it was replaced under warranty.

Part # CH5099007-AA RELAY NON 8052T

I'll keep you posted if this actually works or not.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:32 PM

I just got back from the dealer where they ended up replacing a relay module. Don't know the cost as it was replaced under warranty.

Part # CH5099007-AA RELAY NON 8052T

I'll keep you posted if this actually works or not.
Keep us posted. I changed the valve several months ago and all was well, now it is back on for the same code. I suspect the module. I can hear the pump running occasionally so I don't think that could be it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM

I wanted to bump this thread and say thank you.

My Wife's crossfire had a CEL this morning when she was on her way to work. She was able to go to an Auto Zone, get the code pulled, called me at work and I was able to find out the answer right away.

Great thread.

Tonight I cleaned the ground, check the fuses and check the valve. I'm not sure how much air should be able to pass through it, but if the CEL comes back I will be replacing it.

-John

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM

J-Groove, If that valve doesn't do it and sometimes you can hear the pump working right after you start the engine ( 30 seconds to a couple of minutes more or less) you might consider checking\ resoldering the contacts on the relay control module. It has a relay in it that controls the secondary air injection pump. It could be an intermittent connection in the solder joints. Search relay control module on this forum and read all about it. Tighed1 will solder it if asked nicely for beer money and postage. Contact him if interested. Just a thought before you buy expensive parts.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM

J-Groove, If that valve doesn't do it and sometimes you can hear the pump working right after you start the engine ( 30 seconds to a couple of minutes more or less) you might consider checking\ resoldering the contacts on the relay control module. It has a relay in it that controls the secondary air injection pump. It could be an intermittent connection in the solder joints. Search relay control module on this forum and read all about it. Tighed1 will solder it if asked nicely for beer money and postage. Contact him if interested. Just a thought before you buy expensive parts.
Thanks for the heads up and extra parts to check out!

I cleaned the contacts, checked the vacuum lines, looked for any and all corrotion that I could possibly find, which was next to non. Then put everything back together.

So far it has been a few days and no more CEL, but I will follow up with the relay board if the problem comes back.

-John

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?