TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Mine wouldn't even turn to the first position but either way this should be done ASAP while you can still drive it into the garage..

On an unrelated note I was never able to get this to work properly, after the mod the key would turn with no problems but as soon as I installed it locked up worse than before. Ended up taking out the cylinder so the plunger recessed, installing, then driving a bolt through where the pin used to be. Works fine now but the steering wheel doesn't lock anymore, anyone got some insight on what could have been the problem?

Last edited by hXchandler; 09-08-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added Followup
Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 AM
gig

do the fix now trust me you will be sorry when it locks up totally, its not that big of deal to do

Old 09-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Forum Regular

The fix is getting rid of that internal spring and pin, am I correct? Does anyone know why that fixes the problem?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
gig

yes take the spring and the pin beside it out, thats it and yes its fixes the problem and no not sure why lol

Old 09-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
The fix is getting rid of that internal spring and pin, am I correct? Does anyone know why that fixes the problem?
The question is does anyone care why it fixes the problem? It does and that is what counts.
Somehow it jams up and it's game over.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular

Ok, my key would only turn once in about 200 tries, fortunately I got it out without drilling, did the fix and removed the black ring around the key, but then the key acted up again, and I couldn't get the key mechanism out of the housing. I took the housing to a lock smith today and he finally got it to turn again and got it out of the housing. He is going to cut a new key (mine looked totally worn out - and it broke off the little key bob too) in the morning. I'm hoping with a new key, the mech might start to work better, if not, I assume I will need to buy a new mech to use in the original (now fixed) housing. If so, does anyone have a good source for it and can they key it to match your original key.

Also can you get new keys for these guys with the key bob? My seller only had the one key and it's in pretty sorry shape.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM

you seem to be the guy for this fix but i'm struggling to get the black tumbler housing (?) to turn 90 deg with the key in the first position and the pin under the steering cover will not depress either. note that my key goes in and out but not sure its going to the first position.no lights or start happens. do i have a slightly different cause?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rick4521
you seem to be the guy for this fix but i'm struggling to get the black tumbler housing (?) to turn 90 deg with the key in the first position and the pin under the steering cover will not depress either. note that my key goes in and out but not sure its going to the first position.no lights or start happens. do i have a slightly different cause?

I don't know if you are talking to me or not, but I did get through mine. Basically, there are two problems, one, the steering column lock which the fix listed here corrects (or basically removes the lock from engaging the column - which was ok with me, I doubt it steering column locks have detoured many thieves) the other problem, is the tumbler itself, which was my problem.

I did the column fix while I had the key mechanism out, I mean, why not. My key would turn and start maybe once in 200 tries, I kept trying until I got it to the first position, pushing down on that button by the column the entire 200 times. I could swear I never got it to the first position but somehow, the housing slipped out of the column and I got it out, maybe I had my tongue in the right position. After it was out, again I tried turning it to get the black sleeve around the tumbler off. That sleeve doesn't tread on, it has a horizontal slot about nine o'clock which is locked on. I just played with it and got it off, like I said, my key wasn't turning very well at all, if any at all. Then I couldn't get the tumbler out, there is a pin and a spring behind it at 12:00 o'clock but that doesn't allow it out, it has to be in that first position. I took it to a local locksmith and he, after about 200 tries, got it out. We cut a new key, seeing if maybe the problem was a worn key but it wasn't, the tumbler was allowing the key to go in too far. I went to Mercedes and bought a new tumbler, which they told me wouldn't work, but it did. The cost was around 70 bucks. It came with a key, no head on the key, but the inside was cut. My locksmith ordered a new Crossfire key with the pod, he put the little brain out of my old pod into the new pod and cut it to match the new tumbler, it works perfectly. My old key broke off the pod during my many 200 tries to turn it.

I hope the above helps. I, not knowing that the pod's brain is one time only programmable, I bought an uncut key with a pod off of ebay for 50 bucks, but upon receipt, the pod looks well used, the key part is new. I figured I would go back to my locksmith and have him put the brain part that he took out of the new pod he bought into this pod and cut the key to match my ignition, then I will go about getting that one programed to match my car's serial number. Note: even though you change the tumbler, the brain part remains the same and it's identified with your serial number.

Dave

Old 10-04-2014, 09:42 PM

Thank you. And I'm sorry I'm just seeing this but I hate to say it but I am not the "go to" for this fix. I was probably the last to read and post. I did get it out but was unable to "drill the pin". Others listed here are much, much better at being able to assist you. I am but a humble novice who wishes you much success.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hXchandler
On an unrelated note I was never able to get this to work properly, after the mod the key would turn with no problems but as soon as I installed it locked up worse than before. Ended up taking out the cylinder so the plunger recessed, installing, then driving a bolt through where the pin used to be. Works fine now but the steering wheel doesn't lock anymore, anyone got some insight on what could have been the problem?
I don't recall seeing this before. Just to be clear, you took the pin and spring out from under the housing cover you had to distort/pound/center punch the cover to get off? But then you drove a bolt back in where this pin was? If I am reading correctly the stationary bolt is now in a place where there used to be a spring tensioned pin, if so then things would act flaky. Did you take pics?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

HELP! I've had my 04 XF for 8 months & have 37K so decided to do the Sticky Key fix. Everything worked great until the reassembly. I can't get the black ring to go back on. The spring loaded metal part on the perimeter of the key housing that fits inside the black ring will not retract so that I can get the black ring on. (This is not the plastic detent that lets you take the key out of the lock. That part works fine.) What am I not doing? I put the transponder ring around the lock assembly without the black ring & I can start my car so at least I can get the car out of the garage.

PROBLEM SOLVED: I have a spare key without the clicker. I wasn't able to get the key far enough into the tumbler with the black ring between the tumbler & the clicker. Once I used the key without the clicker the black ring went right on. I'm glad it's fixed. I won't have to do this again to this car. But what about a 2nd or 3rd XF?

Last edited by Red Runner; 10-29-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Runner
HELP! I've had my 04 XF for 8 months & have 37K so decided to do the Sticky Key fix. Everything worked great until the reassembly. I can't get the black ring to go back on. The spring loaded metal part on the perimeter of the key housing that fits inside the black ring will not retract so that I can get the black ring on. (This is not the plastic detent that lets you take the key out of the lock. That part works fine.) What am I not doing? I put the transponder ring around the lock assembly without the black ring & I can start my car so at least I can get the car out of the garage.

maybe your key assy is not forward enough for the ring to grab, I did have that happen to a friend when he did his good luck jim

Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM

G'day all.
had this sticking ignition for a little while now, progressively getting worse in the last couple of weeks.
Decided better do something about it myself after finding Chysler here in Brisbane wanted $1500 for the part alone. So followed the directions and an hour or two later all seems fixed and working fine.
But one question for those in the know, I thought removing the spring and pin would render the steering
lock useless, which I would have been OK with, however I find after removing the key from the ignition that the steering wheel still locks as per original but without the sticking key issue - am I missing something?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by snaggs1963
G'day all.
had this sticking ignition for a little while now, progressively getting worse in the last couple of weeks.
Decided better do something about it myself after finding Chysler here in Brisbane wanted $1500 for the part alone. So followed the directions and an hour or two later all seems fixed and working fine.
But one question for those in the know, I thought removing the spring and pin would render the steering
lock useless, which I would have been OK with, however I find after removing the key from the ignition that the steering wheel still locks as per original but without the sticking key issue - am I missing something?
Not missing anything. The lock will continue to work after the "fix".
Back in the early '70 I spent a few days at Magnetic Island; after a night in Brisbane I took a bus to Alice Springs. Had a very rewarding time in Australia!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:41 AM

thanks zip439
so what did the small pin and spring do in the first place then? or what does not work now that used to?
cheers

Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

It is my understanding that the latch is part of a redundant lock. It locks the plunger in the extended position. It is silly, no one can get in there to push the plunger in anyway!

Old 11-28-2014, 02:24 PM

I have tried everything I can think of and can not "see" the photos accompanying the description of how to fix the Key function. when I hit the icon to show the pictures, I get an icon that just continues to rotate! I am sure i am doing something wrong, or not doing something to enable viewing the pictures, but I can not.
Can someone help me?

Rusty

Old 11-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

PM me an email address and I'll send the PDF to you.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

pdf emailed........

Old 11-28-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks, got it.

Rusty

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
pdf emailed........

Quick Reply: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006