TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by breakneck
Bill - you need to look for the .PDF version of the write-up. It can be found in this thread. Hope this helps.
I will look for it. Have in the past looked for a PDF but ME/I can't seem to find it. I will try again. Thank you.
Bill T.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Send me your email address by PM and I'll send the PDF file to you.
Thank you. Appreciated.
wptoth@gmail.com
Bill T.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Love this forum, did this preventative maintenance today. Took about 2 hours and one less thing to worry about. This car just keeps getting better and better with each day!!!! Thanks for the great write up.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sussudio
Love this forum, did this preventative maintenance today. Took about 2 hours and one less thing to worry about. This car just keeps getting better and better with each day!!!! Thanks for the great write up.
That write-up wasn't mine but it is great. I am keeping it in my XF folder should I start having problems.
Bill T.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im stuck at the part where you have to drill the locking pin flat. I tried for an hour and i cant drill any of the pin out! Can anyone tell me the fastest way to drill it out?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GucciKiiD
Im stuck at the part where you have to drill the locking pin flat. I tried for an hour and i cant drill any of the pin out! Can anyone tell me the fastest way to drill it out?
Apply pressure I guess ? try it at an angle ?

Here's the location for the pin. Just in case. It was hard for me to find. I am guessing you already know where it is. Though just in case.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post744978

Last edited by ijaved; 05-20-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to be certain because I have seen about every interpretation of the PDF. Your ignition is one that is stuck, right? If it is stuck then a Dremel tool has been reported as the easiest to get the pin removed. It will take time due to the angle you are working at. If your ignition is not one that is stuck then the pin will push in if the key has been left at position 1.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 PM

No wonder it didn't work Lol i thought i lost the pin when the spring came out. Tomorrow morning i will remove that part for sure. But thanks for helping me

Last edited by GucciKiiD; 05-20-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I bought a dremel tool and completely removed the locking pin off. I removed the assembly and opened the hatch with a hammer and a screwdriver. The spring came flying off but i saw no pin anywhere. Theres just a whole where the spring would go. I put everything back together and inserted the key and its still stuck and wont move.

You didn't see this.... Once the "hole where the spring would go" is removed you are good to go.

Here is the pic with the spring and pin still in....

Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 PM

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM

Thanks!
Is that a good to go!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Just made my account today and I already love this Chrysler Crossfire Forum. I will upload my crossfire soon.

Last edited by GucciKiiD; 05-20-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 PM

Just made my account today and I already love this Chrysler Crossfire Forum. I will upload my crossfire soon.
Welcome to the forum, please post in the new member introductions section if you have not already.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:28 PM

Just finished installing a new ignition/steering lock unit on my 2004 coupe according to the "Sticky Ignition Key Fix" PDF in the "How To" section of this site. Many thanks to the guys who contributed to these instructions as I couldn't have done the job without them. Problems I ran into: I had to use channel locks to turn the black ring around the ignition switch which was unfortunate because I scarred up the ring, but luckily it's out of sight. I also had trouble pulling the electrical connector off of the back of the unit. After a few choice words and thrown tools (and a beer to cool off), I was able to grab it with a large pair of 90-degree forceps and finally wiggle it off. When re-installing the lower panel, I couldn't start the screw at the upper right side that goes into that little tunnel. I hate to have parts left over from a job, but I just couldn't get this one started...frustrating. To check my work I tried to start the engine before I buttoned up everything (and before re-installing the transponder ring). After a minute of panic accompanied by visions of tow trucks, I realized that the transponder ring needed to be installed before the car would start. Great joy when everything was put back and the key turned smoothly in the ignition. This is a finicky under-dash job (especially for someone with my 250-pound girth) that can get frustrating. I recommend that you take your time, not force anything, and closely follow the instructions on this site.

My Crossfire has had all the normal problems, but I've been able to fix them all (and save $1,000's) thanks to this great forum. Besides fixing the sticky ignition key, I was also able repair my limping transmission (new electro-hydraulic plate & connector), repair the relay module, and get rid of an errant low tire pressure light. This forum should be mandatory reading for all Crossfire owners.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by crymar
This forum should be mandatory reading for all Crossfire owners.
I just wish we could catch owners before they spend too much $$ elsewhere when the common fixes are FREE!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 AM

I just finished installed a new ignition lock unit in my '04 coupe. Happy to say that key turns smoothly now. I have one question. Is the job of the spring-loaded pin (located at the column side of the clamp with the unit installed) merely to indicate that the unit has been fully inserted in the steering column? Or, does it have something to do with the operation of the locking rod and/or the key position? What exactly does it do? Should I ever have to do this job again, I wonder if simply removing the pin would solve the sticky key problem

Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

I just finished installed a new ignition lock unit in my '04 coupe. Happy to say that key turns smoothly now. I have one question. Is the job of the spring-loaded pin (located at the column side of the clamp with the unit installed) merely to indicate that the unit has been fully inserted in the steering column? Or, does it have something to do with the operation of the locking rod and/or the key position? What exactly does it do? Should I ever have to do this job again, I wonder if simply removing the pin would solve the sticky key problem
Did you remove the pin and spring pictured in post 829? A new ignition lock unit is not a fix that will last very long. I'm a bit confused by your post. Sorry.

Last edited by zip439; 05-27-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
Did you remove the pin and spring pictured in post 829? A new ignition lock unit is not a fix that will last very long. I'm a bit confused by your post. Sorry.
No, I didn't remove the pin. I installed a new ignition lock unit. From what I've read on this thread, it seems that it's the pin that causes all the problems. I wanted to see if someone cold explain exactly how the pin functions and how it eventually causes the key to stick. The original ignition lock unit in my 2004 coupe lasted more than 10 years before it became a little sticky, but not to the point where I couldn't drive the car. It was just getting annoying, so this was a preemptive repair. If this new one lasts ten more I'll be happy. The fact the the pin pops out at the steering column side of the clamp when installed indicates that it's also used as a positioning mechanism. In any case, I wanted to know more about this mechanism.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM

No, I didn't remove the pin. I installed a new ignition lock unit. From what I've read on this thread, it seems that it's the pin that causes all the problems. I wanted to see if someone cold explain exactly how the pin functions and how it eventually causes the key to stick. The original ignition lock unit in my 2004 coupe lasted more than 10 years before it became a little sticky, but not to the point where I couldn't drive the car. It was just getting annoying, so this was a preemptive repair. If this new one lasts ten more I'll be happy. The fact the the pin pops out at the steering column side of the clamp when installed indicates that it's also used as a positioning mechanism. In any case, I wanted to know more about this mechanism.
I don't think there has been a definite explanation as to what parts do what and why. We are not talking about removing the "pin" that "pops out." We are talking about removing the internal pin and spring. Do you have your old assembly? Did you remove the cover plate and look inside?

I am not that big a gambler, I removed mine so I don't go through the frustration of being stranded or having to fix it in some parking lot. It would be nice to get a report from someone why buys the new assembly to know if MB removed the suspect parts or not and the part number without the suspect parts.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I don't think there has been a definite explanation as to what parts do what and why. We are not talking about removing the "pin" that "pops out." We are talking about removing the internal pin and spring. Do you have your old assembly? Did you remove the cover plate and look inside?
Sorry, I didn't explain as completely as I intended to. I was wondering if the external pin (the one that pops out at the inside of the clamp band after the unit is installed) is used as a positioning mechanism only, or if it's somehow connected to the internal mechanism that causes the problem. Since I still have the old unit, I'll take it apart and do some exploring. Should have thought about that before posting! Also, once I get the internal spring out I'll have a modified one hand in case the new one goes bad.

Quick Reply: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006