TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by drhrsh
A lot has been written on this site about this problem. I was having the problem of the key not turning, and having to try 6 or more times turning the steering wheel, etc. until it finally worked. I also read about others who were finally unable to turn the key at all, requiring a tow to the dealer and a bill for $1500.00 or more to fix. I want to thank Crossbow 39 for his nice thread on how to do this. I am a visual guy and thought I would take pictures and post a thread to help others. I also learned a few tips which may help others.

1.) Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2.) Remove the fuse panel access door to the left of the steering wheel, in the door jam area.

3.) Remove the air vent above the headlight switch. It just pops out.

4.) Remove the lower trim panels. First remove the "U" shaped panel below the steering wheel (one screw). This gives you access to 2 hidden screws which need to be removed.

UPDATE
NEWEST PDF FILE AS OF JUNE 1 , 2013
The new PDF is version 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate these very detailed, awesome instructions and pictures!!! I was able to successfully complete this by myself, with your PDF file and you saved me big time as I do NOT have the money to take my car to anyone else to fix right now! I so very much appreciate the time and effort that you put into making this fix available to everyone in such an easy to read/understand format! Hats off to you!!! Thanks again!!!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by kimkeach
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate these very detailed, awesome instructions and pictures!!! I was able to successfully complete this by myself, with your PDF file and you saved me big time as I do NOT have the money to take my car to anyone else to fix right now! I so very much appreciate the time and effort that you put into making this fix available to everyone in such an easy to read/understand format! Hats off to you!!! Thanks again!!!
If you are on Facebook, search "Florida Crossfires" there are three FB pages in Florida - you have a lot of Crossfire owners near, or more or less near, you. Chuk holds tech days in Orlando kinda often - could be quite an asset for you - as well a whole new group of friends.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
If you are on Facebook, search "Florida Crossfires" there are three FB pages in Florida - you have a lot of Crossfire owners near, or more or less near, you. Chuk holds tech days in Orlando kinda often - could be quite an asset for you - as well a whole new group of friends.

I appreciate the info, pizzaguy! Will do! I do have two other issues that I will have to resolve on my own soon. The window in my convertible top trying to fall out and my security system no longer works. I just turned 50,000 miles on my car, it has been well taken care of, but has been just one problem after another...the entire car should be recalled IMO...

Old 01-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Administrator

The read window is a VERY common issue. One lady down in Florida just fixed her's this past weekend - and I've fixed my own as well. Takes about an hour - then youv'e got to let it sit for 24 hours - then you are good.

The security systems' usual fault is bad batteries in the module - I don't have that problem as my car has no alarm module. But the fix for the alarm module is not all that bad, either.

Go to Facebook and Join "Florida Crossfire Group" right away. Great bunch of people who will save you TONS of money.

You might also join "Crossfires in the South" and "Chrysler Crossfire Owners" as well.

My current car is my third Crossfire and in the first year of owning it I had to: replace the AM/FM/CD, replace the battery, fix leaking valve covers, fix back window and replace the alternator twice (replacement unit failed under warranty). All in less than 10,000 miles. ODD that I drove my SECOND Crossfire 72,000 miles with nothing more than changing the battery and Crank Sensor in those four years. But you see, my current car has less than 37,000 on it - the low mileage cars are way more trouble than those driven every day!

But I still won't drive my car every day - it's too pretty and perfect to drive it all the time!

Old 01-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Post 4 here is the best, but the whole thread is helpful:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...em-solved.html

Don't miss this one...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tible-top.html

Greg will tutor you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kTI...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 PM

just to say did fix in the driveway..100% success. Couple of things learned. that pin is no joke but be persistent. I never disconnected any wiring. I was able to extract and rotate the stalk to reveal and to remove that little cover. removed easily with the method described on Youtube. Follow the PDF My convertible went early, about 50000 miles, had a locksmith in my driveway 5 years ago. Im stoked no cost repair. Crossies are the best. And this forum ....gonna get me an SRT... soon

Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 AM
Smile Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Thanks for this write up! Just bought an 04 ignition worked fine until I moved the steering wheel in from where the previous owner had it. (Did this AFTER I had drove it and shut it off) went to leave and take it to work for the first time the next day and it was a no go! Key wouldn't move at all lol. But I did get it moving again by moving the wheel around the next day, took it apart and let the pin out. Took an hour or so. Works great now. Seems like this was one of the only big concerns with these cars besides finding parts for cheap. Love this car. Thanks again !

Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

big concerns
You overlooked it loves new $150 batteries and eats expensive tires like candy.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Hey everybody. Just got a crossfire about 6 months ago. Not sure how quickly people respond to these things but I'm going through 'sticky key' Hell. So I've got the dash torn apart. The pictures dont work for me from the initial post on this topic. I'm trying to figure out where the locking pin is and try to get it out. I cant get my key from position 0 to position 1. I'm getting stressed. If anyone has any tips to turn the key rather than pushing the breaks or turning the steering wheel please let me know. Also, if anyone can explain to me how to push the locking pin through let me know. Thank you so much.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by briguy89
Hey everybody. Just got a crossfire about 6 months ago. Not sure how quickly people respond to these things but I'm going through 'sticky key' Hell. So I've got the dash torn apart. The pictures dont work for me from the initial post on this topic. I'm trying to figure out where the locking pin is and try to get it out. I cant get my key from position 0 to position 1. I'm getting stressed. If anyone has any tips to turn the key rather than pushing the breaks or turning the steering wheel please let me know. Also, if anyone can explain to me how to push the locking pin through let me know. Thank you so much.
Do you have the PDF and see those pictures? If you are one of the unlucky ones and it is locked up then you have to drill out the retaining pin (step 16 in the PDF) to pull the assy out of the steering column. Then you can remove the pin and spring.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 02-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Do you have the PDF and see those pictures? If you are one of the unlucky ones and it is locked up then you have to drill out the retaining pin (step 16 in the PDF) to pull the assy out of the steering column. Then you can remove the pin and spring.
The pin is best removed by grinding at it with a Dremel.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
u dont really remove that pin, u must grind it down so the sleeve will slide to the right on the way to removal, if you have to remove the sleeve.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 PM

Quick question...I should of fixed this months ago, before the pin locked in place. But is it possible to just grind / drill the pin out without having to remove the whole key assembly ?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Savatage
Quick question...I should of fixed this months ago, before the pin locked in place. But is it possible to just grind / drill the pin out without having to remove the whole key assembly ?
No, the trap door you have to open is under the clamp and at the back.
The part is shown upside down in the photos.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 PM

ok thank you, those two pic's are a help, as well, pdf doesnt really show the retainer pin to clearly....gives me something to do on my day off at least

Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by drhrsh
A lot has been written on this site about this problem. I was having the problem of the key not turning, and having to try 6 or more times turning the steering wheel, etc. until it finally worked. I also read about others who were finally unable to turn the key at all, requiring a tow to the dealer and a bill for $1500.00 or more to fix. I want to thank Crossbow 39 for his nice thread on how to do this. I am a visual guy and thought I would take pictures and post a thread to help others. I also learned a few tips which may help others.

1.) Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2.) Remove the fuse panel access door to the left of the steering wheel, in the door jam area.

3.) Remove the air vent above the headlight switch. It just pops out.

4.) Remove the lower trim panels. First remove the "U" shaped panel below the steering wheel (one screw). This gives you access to 2 hidden screws which need to be removed.

UPDATE
NEWEST PDF FILE AS OF JUNE 1 , 2013

The new PDF is version 5

I must say this worked perfectly and was easy to do. Byrona

Old 03-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Got the assembly out, fairly easy with the pdf...but key still wouldnt turn so the tumblers would come out and release the pin.
Found an easy resolution though after looking through the post's here...went and bought some silicone spray, and sprayed it down into the pin area and popped it into the freezer. Took it out after a few hours and let it sit (to dethaw), then played with getting the key to turn. after a few attempts the key turned, popped out the tumbler and the pin dropped out into my hand. Saved me from hitting the dealership the next morning.
Put it all back together and once again back to cruising on the weekends and just in time to make that drive up to asheville.

Thank you for the time on putting that pdf together and the post on the assembly pics.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 PM

I followed your instructions for my 2004 Chrysler Crossfire coupe step by step and wanted to thank you for such an in-depth fix process. It worked great. I did not have to drill out pin and the igintion slipped out just like the two you tube videos.There is another video on actually removing the pin
. I removed the pin and slipped it back in place tightened the strap and worked everything in reverse to put back all panels that were removed. I was impressed.

Thank you, Paul

Old 04-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Can't thank you guys enough for this ignition fix. Followed the PDF and fixed in 90 mins from start to finish. Saved me a ton of money. Thank you!

Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Add one to the "I just did this and the PDF and information here saved my butt" crowd. Only took about an hour total. Getting the plug out from the back of the ignition unit was a challenge but some vice grips and anger fixed it no problem. I was lucky that my releasing pin pushed in without effort. Very obvious signs of wear and binding on the locking lug that gets removed as part of this fix. Thanks all for the detailed post!!
-Kevin

Quick Reply: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006