TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Foggy Crossfire Headlights

Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Foggy Crossfire Headlights

Originally Posted by flexfanatic
I know this thread is old but I purchased a 2004 Crossfire (2nd one I have owned) and to pass Maryland State Inspection I need to purchase a new passenger side headlight so now there is a very noticeable different with the drivers side.

I'll be purchasing one of the kits listed above and I'll let you know my findings when I tackle the job this coming weekend.
what was wrong with the old headlight ? ( other than being foggy )
If it ain't broken, do you want to sell it ?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
what was wrong with the old headlight ? ( other than being foggy )
If it ain't broken, do you want to sell it ?
According to two inspection stations it was not outputting enough lumens plus condensation kept building up on the inside of the housing.

Sucks because that was an expensive part

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

According to two inspection stations it was not outputting enough lumens plus condensation kept building up on the inside of the housing.

Sucks because that was an expensive part
Maybe you had a badly fogged lens, inside and out or a bad bulb or bulb setup.
The condensation should have been an easy fix. Sometimes they leak around the seal that is between the lens and the body, silicone would have fixed that.
Keep the unit and repair it if you still have it.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Maybe you had a badly fogged lens, inside and out or a bad bulb or bulb setup.
The condensation should have been an easy fix. Sometimes they leak around the seal that is between the lens and the body, silicone would have fixed that.
Keep the unit and repair it if you still have it.
He doesn't have it, he let the dealer keep it.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
He doesn't have it, he let the dealer keep it.
Keep an eye out for it on eBay.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Has anyone thought about removing the headlamps to restore them, my main concern is damage to the surrounding paintwork.
Looking at the manual, it is a matter of 4 bolts, and a wiring harness.
Mine need doing badly, and I am concerned the cops will give me an unroadworthy sticker, which will force the issue.
I got a quote from one of the local panel shops, to do the headlamps, respray the windscreen surround, and to repair a small gouge in the rear lower plastic bumper which the Mother Inlaw did when she borrowed it, for $500, which isn't too bad I guess, I might go that path, but I wold like to do the headlamps myself.
Cheers
Terry

Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by AussieXFire
Has anyone thought about removing the headlamps to restore them, my main concern is damage to the surrounding paintwork.
Mine need doing badly, and I am concerned the cops will give me an unroadworthy sticker, which will force the issue.
I got a quote from one of the local panel shops, to do the headlamps, respray the windscreen surround, and to repair a small gouge in the rear lower plastic bumper which the Mother Inlaw did when she borrowed it, for $500, which isn't too bad I guess, I might go that path, but I wold like to do the headlamps myself.
Cheers
Terry
It is much better to do the de-fogging procedure with the light assemblies still in the car. When they are out, it is hard to secure them without damage to the mounting tabs while you work on them.
Just mask off the surrounding areas with the blue masking tape and be careful with the rotary polisher when you are close to the edge.

HINT: Once you have them crystal clear, put some Xpel or 3m protectors on, that will vastly prevent fogging in the future.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM

I thought of that after I posted the message, I pictured myself holding the assembly in one hand, and sanding like hell with the other.
Thanks
Terry

Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM

I thought of that after I posted the message, I pictured myself holding the assembly in one hand, and sanding like hell with the other.
Thanks
Terry
Here is a brief outline.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I've done a few of these and the writeup is good and the photos are a fine guide.

Go for it! It is pretty easy, just time-intensive. It takes me ~ 1-1.5 hrs/side.

Last edited by maxcichon; 02-08-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I've done a few of these and the writeup is good and the photos are a fine guide.

Go for it! It is pretty easy, just time-intensive. It takes me ~ 1-11/2 hrs/side.
lets see ....
1 to 11/2 hours would be 1 to 5.5 hours ?
( The 5.5 hour mark includes 2 six packs of beer )
Just messing wid ya, Max. I know you meant 1 to 1.5 hours

Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah. Right. Fixed!

Buddy.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM

I know this thread is old but I purchased a 2004 Crossfire (2nd one I have owned) and to pass Maryland State Inspection I need to purchase a new passenger side headlight so now there is a very noticeable different with the drivers side.

I'll be purchasing one of the kits listed above and I'll let you know my findings when I tackle the job this coming weekend.
Hi, noticed you are newer to the forum and from Maryland...are you involved with Crossfires of Maryland yet? Not sure if we met you yet. I just got my second Crossfire and it has the headlight issue- inside and out. Never had any issues with the last car. The 3M refinish kit recently got the top rating on an online evaluation I read....I'm going to use it on mine as soon as we can get a weekend that isn't freezing or raining!

Like to meet others in the area to hook up with...give me a shout if you need any info.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 PM

I had the same, I got them buffed with a machine, looks new now

Old 10-06-2016, 05:31 PM

Cheers
Terry
I recently had my front bumper repainted for some scrapes and nicks and the holes from the front license plate. The body shop was nice to remove the headlights for me so I can could clean the insides with methanol. I must say though...that I didn't see a difference. What I thought was build up from sediment due to the condensation prior to my installing a seal kit must be on the exterior plastic. I've used 3m polish but that doesn't seem to be improving and I can't feel any imperfections on the lens to think it was pitted. Maybe the oxidation is just deeper into the plastic. I suppose I'll wet sand with multi-grades of sandpaper then clear coat with a UV sealant.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 PM

Hey Salgaigh. I had the same issue for awhile. I tried everything. Headlight restoring products, extreme bugging, headlight restoring pro , you name it. In the end, I fixed mine when I had them customized. The issue was a buildup of oil residue inside the lens. When they cut the lens apart to customize them, I made sure to ask them to clean and buff the inner lens. No amount of polishing or sanding will work, if the issue is inside the lens.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:24 AM

After using my drill with a buffer attachment plus a kit I got from Harbor Freight and sanding for over an hour, and taping the finish around the lens so I wouldn't damage the paint, I gave up. I am going to replace the headlamp lens and I'm hoping it is not a real big job.

I just found this replacement lens for $51.40

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...BoChl4QAvD_BwE

I haven't bought it yet and I am going to search through the Forum to find out if I can handle the replacement myself.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by HarleyGuy
After using my drill with a buffer attachment plus a kit I got from Harbor Freight and sanding for over an hour, and taping the finish around the lens so I wouldn't damage the paint, I gave up. I am going to replace the headlamp lens and I'm hoping it is not a real big job.

I just found this replacement lens for $51.40

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/feeds/Replacement/Headlight/REPC100107.html?dbpcid=gglpla&gclid=CjwKCAjw_IPcBR AjEiwAl44QkU1faJqQt-g0nfP8ttgps8eF3Ol6_PbSZztUMw8YPbjanEzfpauKIBoChl4Q AvD_BwE

I haven't bought it yet and I am going to search through the Forum to find out if I can handle the replacement myself.
Where does it say Crossfire? The size looks all wrong, it looks too short and the ratio of lengths to height look way out.
If it was a good fit you would be a hero and talked about in awe. But .......

Old 08-25-2018, 10:17 AM

Well, I agree, the size does not look right but I have not bought the lens yet and planned to call them to make sure it will fit or that it can be returned for credit.

I'll keep you posted here

Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Get a 3M headlight restoration kit (about $20.00). FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! Headlights will turn out like new!

Quick Reply: Foggy Crossfire Headlights