TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How To: Replace the Washer Reservoir / Tank / Bottle (with pics)

Old 02-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To: Replace the Washer Reservoir / Tank / Bottle (with pics)

Hey, many thanks, My Friend, for the helping hand!
I thought I could copy paste the link, but, as you say, "no worky"

Richard

Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Mnay thanks, My Friend!

Old 08-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
So my chrysler stealership said that the two #'s are listed for our Xfire and that the diagram is not a specific diagram to the part # and is only a general representation.

Can anyone verify that has ordered the MB resivoir that it is in fact the correct one?
Sux years later I stumble upon this question, the part number is good as I purchased one using that number.
The how to in post #1 has lost the pictures but in post #3 there is the PDF I did of it that has the pictures still.
When lugnut left the forum he erased his picture gallery.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm ... 1) I'm still around! Just moved on to BMWs, etc. (after considering the GLK) 2) I don't know why the pictures disappeared -- I'll hopefully look into it soon.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:53 PM

OK -- I have the pics uploaded here to a new album. But it's not giving me the "bb code" to insert the pics' URLs into my original post (super-easy on other sites). How to?

(Found the "share" button. Flaky! At least for us old programmers. I will add back the pics to the first post later.)

Last edited by LugNut; 08-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by LugNut
OK -- I have the pics uploaded here to a new album. But it's not giving me the "bb code" to insert the pics' URLs into my original post (super-easy on other sites). How to?

(Found the "share" button. Flaky! At least for us old programmers. I will add back the pics to the first post later.)
To the left of the smiley is a picture in the editing page, click on that and you can place a photo in the post at the spot you decide on.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 PM

Pics restored! Site limited it to ten in the first post; here's another showing inside the fender with the old tank removed:

PM me if any of my other old posts need pics restored -- I should have them. At least until this hard drive fails. :-)

Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Great amount of direction. I was brave enough to repair tank myself with your pictures.
thanks
Steve

Old 04-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Anyone have updates on the part as the two listed stores are of no luck!

Additionally while I was at the Jeep dealer I asked about the crossfire reservoir and when the rep looked up the part. She said there’s a note on this part that reads “if customer complains about leaking, do not attempt to change either washer fluid reservoir or washer filler neck. It will not fix the issue”

I found this to be rather absurd, any thoughts before I buy the party and pull things apart?

Thanks,

Fro

Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=Fjp3105;922606]Anyone have updates on the part as the two listed stores are of no luck!

Additionally while I was at the Jeep dealer I asked about the crossfire reservoir and when the rep looked up the part. She said there’s a note on this part that reads “if customer complains about leaking, do not attempt to change either washer fluid reservoir or washer filler neck. It will not fix the issue”

I found this to be rather absurd, any thoughts before I buy the party and pull things apart?

Thanks,

Fro[/QUOTE

i removed tank, repaired link, bottom seam, reinstalled link fixed, took about two hours, remove front tire, inside liner, tank, fixed

Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Remfire
Originally Posted by Fjp3105

Thanks,

Fro
i removed tank, repaired link, bottom seam, reinstalled link fixed, took about two hours, remove front tire, inside liner, tank, fixed
The reservoir does not fill past the top of the tank as it has an overflow there. The overflow lets the fluid fall to the ground. When the low washer fluid light comes on you can put in 4 litres anymore flows out the overflow.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-30-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The reservoir does not fill past the top of the tank as it has an overflow there. The overflow lets the fluid fall to the ground. When the low washer fluid light comes on you can put in 4 litres anymore flows out the overflow.
interesting. So basically it’s possible that the reservoir is actually fine? Perhaps one way to check it would be to put less than a gallon and see how much drains. In the case that it empties, of course something needs replacement. I hope I’m expressing this correctly, let me know.

Cheers!

Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Remfire;922607]
Try this search I used the 170 xxx xx xx number/
CLICK

Old 04-30-2019, 11:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

interesting. So basically it’s possible that the reservoir is actually fine? Perhaps one way to check it would be to put less than a gallon and see how much drains. In the case that it empties, of course something needs replacement. I hope I’m expressing this correctly, let me know.

Cheers!
That plan sounds valid.
BTW, it's not an official "overflow", it's that two tubes fit together without any seal, the part you see under the hood, and the tube from the reservoir.
The reservoir is know to have a leakage problem caused by a stress point at the bottom tank mount.
The repair is to reinforce with a proper sized steel washer and JB Weld the heck out of everything there.
Worked for me 5 years ago, still not leaking.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. I noticed blue fluid on the ground yesterday, and today I have no fluid being sprayed (can hear the pump). Guess it's time to follow the directions and fix it. I appreciate the knowledge shared here.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up Re: How To: Replace the Washer Reservoir / Tank / Bottle (with pics)

Originally Posted by texascubs
Great thread.
Glad to help! Sold my XF long ago, but lately have been eyeing a somewhat silimar MB coupe ...

Old 10-30-2019, 01:26 PM

Thank You for the Great details on this . I'm sure it will make it a lot easier for Me.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:39 AM
Thumbs up Re: How To: Replace the Washer Reservoir / Tank / Bottle (with pics)

Hi, I am new on here, but I just wanted to say thank you for your well written and very useful article. Kirk

Old 07-07-2021, 07:18 AM

Glad it helped! :-) Enjoy your XF.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Folks. The windscreen washer pump/motor on my coupe doesn't work - no whirring sound, nothing. The wipers work, as does the headlight flasher (fed via the same fuse, according to my Owner's Manual) so not the fuse? Before I embark on removal of the reservoir to investigate, any other suggestions/short-cuts? I should also point out that the Low Washer Fluid Level warning light has been on since I bought the car - I thought it might be due to the dreaded cracked reservoir but I poured a couple of litres of fluid in yesterday and it did not start leaking/overflowing until halfway through the third litre. However, the warning light stayed on....but I did not actually start the engine. Maybe the reservoir is OK?

Quick Reply: How To: Replace the Washer Reservoir / Tank / Bottle (with pics)