TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

if the solder iron you picked up is an always on unit and not a gun you should be ok with 25W, if it is a gun you may need a hotter iron. I used a 50W gun and had the module back in my car within thirty minutes. Check your solder, ideally you want a rosin flux-core, as an acid core can damage the circuit board if you apply too much. As previous posters have said make sure you are not melting the solder on the iron, but on the leads themselves while still applying heat to the leads. I cleaned up the old solder with an emery board prior to soldering (one of the leads had too much built up already on what was blatantly a cold solder from the cracking). The leads run to the huge pins that power the module so it will take quite a bit to heat them up. You are correct that you DO NOT want to connect all three leads as that will short out the board and you will have to purchase a new one.

As a side note if anyone near Wilmington NC needs or desires their RCM re-soldered or just inspected feel free to PM me.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

BIG thanks to txcruzer for donating his old RCM to the group.
I'll repair it and have it available to help a fellow owner someday.

THANKS TXCRUZER!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just finished doing the repair and my soldering is pretty bad.. I put the rcm back in the car, connected everything again and now the BAS/ESP light is on.. is that related to the rcm or is it just from having the battery disconnected?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth
So I just finished doing the repair and my soldering is pretty bad.. I put the rcm back in the car, connected everything again and now the BAS/ESP light is on.. is that related to the rcm or is it just from having the battery disconnected?
Very likely just the battery being disconnected. Turn on the Car, turn the steering wheel full right to lock, turn it full left to lock and then center it up. Hopefully the light will disapear. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
BIG thanks to txcruzer for donating his old RCM to the group.
I'll repair it and have it available to help a fellow owner someday.

THANKS TXCRUZER!
I think I need some help. Same issue, car will start and then not start. Radio comes on etc., no start, then radio powers down. Battery replaced a couple of months ago. Not sure what I am looking at under the hood, so can I order a relay?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dsam
I think I need some help. Same issue, car will start and then not start. Radio comes on etc., no start, then radio powers down. Battery replaced a couple of months ago. Not sure what I am looking at under the hood, so can I order a relay?
You say radio powers down, what about lights etc?
Are you sure the battery terminals are tight and clean?

Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 PM

yes to tight and clean battery. When I go to start the car... key into ignition turn to the right crank to start up, does not turn over, dashboard lights up, radio comes on and then all is quiet. I'm a girl with no skills... only thing I have been able to do, is program my own key. Love this forum. Looked into that black box next to the battery and that was overwhelming... yikes.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yes to tight and clean battery. When I go to start the car... key into ignition turn to the right crank to start up, does not turn over, dashboard lights up, radio comes on and then all is quiet. I'm a girl with no skills... only thing I have been able to do, is program my own key. Love this forum. Looked into that black box next to the battery and that was overwhelming... yikes.
Guess you need to get underwhelmed.. LOL. If you were to get a replacement RCM you still have to play in that black box..

It's not a major ordeal.. might find a member near you to help out?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM

OK...you have jokes..! I went and looked at that black box again, thinking I'm in the wrong area, as it has too many wires and things going on for me. I took a picture of it, and still not sure what I am looking for or at. So with that said, I will take it to the shop next week, and not the stealership. I will search the forum for a diagram, so that I will at least know what it looks like, plus I will sound like I know what I am talking about at the shop. The forum has taught me well... lol with a big thanks to you all.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...you have jokes..! I went and looked at that black box again, thinking I'm in the wrong area, as it has too many wires and things going on for me. I took a picture of it, and still not sure what I am looking for or at. So with that said, I will take it to the shop next week, and not the stealership. I will search the forum for a diagram, so that I will at least know what it looks like, plus I will sound like I know what I am talking about at the shop. The forum has taught me well... lol with a big thanks to you all.
Its super easy to swap in a new RCM if that's all you have to do. If you can get a replacement one (i.e. work out a way to get the "loaner" one from tighed1 then send him your old one), you just have to disconnect the battery, open the black box, pull the plugs out of the old RCM and plug them into the new one. The "toughest" part of all this is getting the stubborn plugs out without scraping your fingers on something, but as you probably don't have giant sausage fingers it should be pretty simple.

I'll be swapping out my RCM tomorrow or Tuesday with a brand new one if you want me to take pictures...

Now if you want to attempt the soldering to fix your current one instead of getting a new one, you'll have to ask someone else because apparently my soldering skills are seriously lacking... Which is depressing since it is something that little kids learn to do well at summer camp but I somehow can't get the process down right...

Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 PM

No..really.. I was serious.. You might find a local member to help you out..

I'm Guessing you have searched and found the "Mystery no start" thread?.. if I recall correctly there are pictures there.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

There are 3 circuit boards in there : BCM. PCM & RCM.
As you stand by the battery, the one closest to you is the BCM( Body Control Module ),
then the PCM ( Powertrain Control Module ), and last the RCM ( Relay Control Module )

All of them have tons of connector wires, but the RCM has the least.
It can be removed without disturbing the other 2.

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING !!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM

some old dude to fall in love with my car, and he wants to work on OEM, and dress her up (not to old!) and must live in Charlotte or nearby.
OKay... How far away is Pizza? Think he knows RCM RR.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
OKay... How far away is Pizza? Think he knows RCM RR.
Pizzaguy is 247 miles from Charlotte .......

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM

I am getting excited. When I purchased this car, I was not expecting it to be a perfect car with no issues. I did my research on this fourm.
However, I made a deal with myself that if I bought it, I would try to fix a minor problem when possible. You guys have inspired me to
try it. The pix are of great assistance, since I am a visual... and those wires are now not so overwhelming. @Mrmiata, love it and 247 is a great
distance, not to close and close enough for a day road trip. @alaxfire, since I don't want a tingle or my hair any curler, understood- I will
disconnect the negative. @rayth, you are correct no sausage fingers. Now and finally @Tighed1, you are my hero. I will first attempt to ship and
swap, and since I am girl, I can change my mind and maybe I will have to work out a loaner. So to everyone, thanks for your support, knowledge
etc.., get the tissue, I am about to cry... feeling the love. I will print out everything and later this week or this weekend coming and tackle that RCM. Pizzaguy is close to the beach, now that could be another option. Stay tuned, I will post as I work my way to it. Thank YOU all!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM

I am getting excited. When I purchased this car, I was not expecting it to be a perfect car with no issues. I did my research on this fourm.
However, I made a deal with myself that if I bought it, I would try to fix a minor problem when possible. You guys have inspired me to
try it. The pix are of great assistance, since I am a visual... and those wires are now not so overwhelming. @Mrmiata, love it and 247 is a great
distance, not to close and close enough for a day road trip. @alaxfire, since I don't want a tingle or my hair any curler, understood- I will
disconnect the negative. @rayth, you are correct no sausage fingers. Now and finally @Tighed1, you are my hero. I will first attempt to ship and
swap, and since I am girl, I can change my mind and maybe I will have to work out a loaner. So to everyone, thanks for your support, knowledge
etc.., get the tissue, I am about to cry... feeling the love. I will print out everything and later this week or this weekend coming and tackle that RCM. Pizzaguy is close to the beach, now that could be another option. Stay tuned, I will post as I work my way to it. Thank YOU all!
The hardest part is accepting you can do it! Have a radio controlled hobby shop near by? Those guys know how to solder.. Just flip the curly hair and bat the eyes at them... done deal.. LOL.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM

As you point out, you are girl .....
If I were you, I'd be mighty careful about pizzaguy, he has quite a rep around here.
He just embarked on a new adventure with a lovely co-worker, ignoring all advice to the contrary given him by forum members.
He is like a fine wine : extremely enjoyable, but best consumed in small quantity .....

( Just joking pizzaguy )

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
As you point out, you are girl .....
If I were you, I'd be mighty careful about pizzaguy, he has quite a rep around here.
He just embarked on a new adventure with a lovely co-worker, ignoring all advice to the contrary given him by forum members.
He is like a fine wine : extremely enjoyable, but best consumed in small quantity .....

( Just joking pizzaguy )
Perfect timing actually.. He's on a self induced leash..

Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Follow the directions at the start of this thread and you won't go wrong.
If Pizza can do it (ask him about his oil changing skills) you can do it!

Will PM you contact info should you decide to mail it.

I will inspect, repair then test on my car.
Return in the mail very next day Priority mail.
$5 for the repair (beer money) $5 for return shipping.
If you want the "Me so Horny" mod please include an extra $5.

That reminds me.
EVERYONE.

Don't spend $15-$20 mailing these. They fit in the padded flat rate envelopes and ship for about $5.

Last edited by tighed1; 06-24-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Follow the directions at the start of this thread and you won't go wrong.
If Pizza can do it (ask him about his oil changing skills) you can do it!

Will PM you contact info should you decide to mail it.

I will inspect, repair then test on my car.
Return in the mail very next day Priority mail.
$5 for the repair (beer money) $5 for return shipping.
If you want the "Me so Horny" mod please include an extra $5.

That reminds me.
EVERYONE.

Don't spend $15-$20 mailing these. They fit in the padded flat rate envelopes and ship for about $5.

Tighed1 is one of the best guys to help you out here in this forum. He's helped many, and for only a thank you or a pittance. He'll steer you straight for sure. Those connectors could be a little confusing, some have those swing to click/lock so just watch how they come apart and you'll be fine. If I am not mistaken, there is also a little clip/tab that you have to move out of the way to get the RCM module out so watch for that as well. Thanks tighed1, for the help you provide the membership!

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)