TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I was thinking we could have an "RCM Preventative Maintenance Party" at the lodge.

We need a gun with new tip, solder, few hand tools for keeping the tip nuts tight, a smoke vacuum with filter (if we are doing this indoors) and maybe a 100 foot cord (if we are doing this outside).

I have all the above in my bag of tricks, and think I can squeeze it all in the trunk, since it looks like top-up weather (due to cold, if not rain).

What do you all think? Could keep us busy - or should I save the room for my costume for saturday night?
I might try & see if I can squeeze this in B4 we leave on Thursday afternoon. On the other hand, I'm going to be as busy as heck until Thursday morning so it might not be possible!
Regardless, I may just drag down the ole solder iron & solder with me just in case we get a chance to do this. Heck, I'd rather do it at home than 950 miles south but knowing how crappy these joints are & the fact that the SRT is now pushing 67K I figure it's only a matter of time!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

I have my tools, solder gun and solder in the car - along with everything else for the trip!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Think we should do the same at any "major" meets that we have. Will help keep all of us on the road.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Well, my stuff is packed - so we are ready. You show me how to get it outta there, ok?

Deb walker and Stargazer have shown interest and I know I wanna get mine out and see how it looks.

Sounds like KUrts has has iron along as well.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Yes I'm still repairing these!

I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay (and the Fuel Pump relay if needed). I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I will mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). In most cases I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total. If you want the package insured please include an additional $8. FYI, In the couple/few years that I have been doing this only one was lost in the mail.
Please email your address to me also.

Will post this in the first post so folks can find it.

Last edited by tighed1; 05-31-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, my stuff is packed - so we are ready. You show me how to get it outta there, ok?

Deb walker and Stargazer have shown interest and I know I wanna get mine out and see how it looks.

Sounds like KUrts has has iron along as well.
I did but it's a shame that it decided to rain non-stop Saturday evening; no one was interested in standing outside & yanking their RCM's including yours truly!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Yup, same here. The weather didn't stop ALL the fun, but it did kinda take the wind outta my sails. I was not interested in opening any potential can of worms on a rainy night. I'l yank mine out tonight or tomorrow night and take a look.

Oh...
And would it kill them to put up a few lights in that lot? I about killed myself walking down the steps from the upper lot. (It's awful getting old, once upon a time, I could walk around out there and be fine - but no more. The eyes are the first to go.)

Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

[quote=pizzaguyOh...
And would it kill them to put up a few lights in that lot? I about killed myself walking down the steps from the upper lot. (It's awful getting old, once upon a time, I could walk around out there and be fine - but no more. The eyes are the first to go.)[/quote]
Don't worry young man ............... it gets worse.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Just keep calling me "young man" and I'll be fine!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM

I had a chance today to pull the RCM's out of both cars & can happily report that both looked fine.
Not that it stopped me from resoldering the points anyway.
Now this makes me wonder if this issue is apparent only on certain groups of RCM's. Perhaps there are some bad lots out there?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like we are victims of the effort to remove lead from solder as part of the RoHS initiative. Unfortunately, without lead, soldered joints just don't hold up as well.

Thanks for this post. I'll pass it on to my local Dodge mechanic and good friend Kevin (as well as keep it bookmarked).

The following users liked this post:
BrushRoadster! (03-18-2022)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator

tighed1:

I just took my RCM out. The solder on the green board is fine - not even gonna re-heat any of the connections.

HOWEVER does it bother you to see how they made connection from the connector pins to the traces on the WHITE circuit board? Just looks a little silly to me - not soldered, but "stamped" connections. Reminds me of Motorola's attempt at that in the 1980's vintage "Micor Systems 90" line of accessories. So far, MB has had more luck with this than Motorola did, that's for sure.

Also, while my assembly is very clean inside (and after only 18,000 miles it should be) why did they not use individually sealed relays? The snap-together housing does provide pretty good protection, but any contaminates that get in there are trapped by the housing - and are now potentially in contact with the relay contactor surfaces.

(I don't have anything else to obsess on tonight).

Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many watt soldering iron are you using? My 15watt is not doing the job.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

A 100/140 W soldering iron is good to use.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a couple of cave man questions. Wont the siren go off if I disconnect the battery? Also, Im ok with a soldering gun but just wanted to make sure that if I heat these pins up good and hot, that they wont melt somewhere else in the "green board?" area. Lastly, Ive some very small wire, like in a phone cord, would that be ok for the horn mod?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by green-ghost
Just a couple of cave man questions. Wont the siren go off if I disconnect the battery? Mine don't, others say their's will.
Also, Im ok with a soldering gun but just wanted to make sure that if I heat these pins up good and hot, that they wont melt somewhere else in the "green board?" area. Just don't go krazy and you should be fine.
Lastly, Ive some very small wire, like in a phone cord, would that be ok for the horn mod? The area of the horn mod doesn't carry the load it just energizes the relay. I wouldn't go smaller than say 20ga.
Answers above!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i pulled mine and checked it and the solder looked great.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
i pulled mine and checked it and the solder looked great.
Those that are checking be sure to use a magnifying glass or something so you can see REALLY close when checking.

Here is a picture of my roadster's RCM.

Now here it is again magnified.

Here it is repaired.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tighed1 your info on the relay board is great, Thanks This board also contains a relay for the secondary air injection system correct? I'll have to take mine out this winter and check for the loose solder as I keep getting that MIL code for that system. The pump runs and I've changed the check valve and it ( the Mil ) comes and goes so when I can have it down for awhile I'll remove the relay assembly.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
tighed1 your info on the relay board is great, Thanks This board also contains a relay for the secondary air injection system correct? I'll have to take mine out this winter and check for the loose solder as I keep getting that MIL code for that system. The pump runs and I've changed the check valve and it ( the Mil ) comes and goes so when I can have it down for awhile I'll remove the relay assembly.
That is correct. I get the 505 code on both cars. When checking the RCM for the No Start issue I noticed that the contacts on the relay that controls the air injection pump were BADLY burnt. I have yet to clean the contact to see if it solves the problem, nor have I inspected the RCM from my roadster to see if it's contacts are burnt.
Could have something to do with it. Or not.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)